+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Kindle (e-readers)

Okay so DH really wants to buy me a kindle. I love reading but never really get the time anymore and when I do I never have anything I'm "in the mood" for or something.

So DH is sure a kindle will solve this. The problem is I've always been dead against them as I love books! I love having them around the house, I love turning the pages, I love the freshly printed smell.... You get the point lol.

But lately I've been wondering if maybe it will help me read more and what I want when I want it.

So what do you love about your e-reader? and what do you not like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i just got DH a sony e-reader for xmas.

what he loves about it:
    * can buy books whenever you want, don't have to wait until you get a chance to go to the library/shops.
    * the screen looks like real paper, it is not backlit, so no eye strain.
    * small enough for him to take to work and read whenever he gets a break (in the car, in the office, in a waiting room, etc).

what he doesn't love about it:
    * the sony e-reader has wireless internet connection but there are only a few stores that are set up so that you can download directly to the e-reader, most of them you have to download to computer and THEN transfer to e-reader. however i think this is different with a kindle?
    * most e-books by his fave authors (e.g. tim winton, richard flanagan, annie proulx, charles frazier) are out of stock everywhere. not sure how an ebook can be 'out of stock'?!

overall DH is very happy and likes being able to pick and choose a book whenever he wants it. i used to be opposed to e-readers because like you, i thought real books were heaps better, but now i have to say i'm a bit envious of his new gadget and i'm thinking of getting one for myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Excellent thanks heaps!

The one DH is looking at I can DL direct or I'd probably not bother!

I have an iPad but it kills my eyes trying to read on it! I think that's why I've been so against e-readers even though I know they are not backlit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh just a thought maybe they aren't allowed to sell digital copies if the books are sold out? Hmm that doesn't sound right though..rather silly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have kindle on my iphone, best app ive down loaded EVER.

Quite often amazon have free books too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

FNT51  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always said I would never get one, I would always get books as I love them so much... I now have mine permanently attached to myself....i love it! No more having to wait cause I've run out of books again, no more hunting around when a book I want sells out, download it instantly! no more annoying dh with the lights on cause I can turn my screen black and font white (perfect for dark reading and not bright) no more having to find new bookcases that match for all of my books!
    Loved it so much we got one for my mum and she was worse then me before and she has never looked back..... good luck with your choice!

Fighting for control over who's right... Predictive text or me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love my kindle. It's very easy to read and there are so many free books from amazon that I rarely pay for any.

Check the kindle forums on amazon.com as they have heaps of info. It also pays to check the books you can buy here in Australia. Some publishers/authors don't release their ebooks here, John Grisham is one, but there are a few more popular authors that you won't be able to get on the kindle. I've never had an issue with this. The amazon forum also has heaps of links to other sites that have more ebooks that are compatible with the kindle.
    Last edited by tootiredtosleep; 02-01-2012 at 21:08.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have the kindle app on my my iPad and my iPod touch, love it. I was going to buy myself a kindle this week but I've decided just to stick to my iPad for now.
    I love books, love the texture of the page, love the new ink smell, the hint of promise when you flick through the pages - I do love though being able to download a chapter before I purchase and I love being able to download a book in a minute

Thanks
    Reviews
    You ladies sure are making the decision easy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Sony e-reader and LOVE it! DH has one as well, and he almost lives his as much as I love mine. Sometimes he finds me books from my favourite Authors that haven't even been released yet! Also a very economical way to "sample" new Authors.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub....please forgive the bloody auto-correct!