+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Breastfeeding during pregnancy -> breastfeeding 2 kids?

Hello,
    I'm wondering whether anyone can help me out with some info about breastfeeding (14mo) whilst pregnant (5wks), and possibly breastfeeding the toddler and newborn both when the time comes? I know nothing about this.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am breastfeeding my nearly 14 month old and am 15 weeks pregnant and all is going well so far, though it will be interesting how I go the more advanced into the pregnancy I'm in.

So you're interested in tandem feeding your toddler once the newborn has arrived? A lot of woman do this quite successfully. What sorts of questions do you have?

The ABA (Australian breastfeeding Association) has a wealth of knowledge on this sort of thing, so I would look up tandem feeding/nursing whilst pregnant on their website. You can also ring them, they are very helpful and encouraging. All the best
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 03-01-2012 at 13:40. Reason: got my preg weeks wrong! lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

qldbaby  (03-01-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello! I'm here lying down in bed feeding my 2.5 year old to sleep and I'm 38 weeks pregnant!

I must admit it's been a very interesting journey.

My milk supply decreased pretty much immediately and there wasn't much pain to begin with.

Then throughout the 2nd Trimester the pain started and now into my 3rd I must say the aversion is making it quite hard. Especially as my milk has come back and DD asks to feed more than usual...

I am continuing for a few reasons and because I'm so close, I'm just trying some relaxing techniques as I feed so I don't get angry at DD.

I don't know if age plays a part but I am able to distract her and let her know I'm hurting and she can respect that and back off...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

qldbaby  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing because I'm in the same boat

Thanks
    Reviews
    I imagined I would keep feeding my DD (she was 16m when I got pregnant) and then tandem feed as she only has feeds before sleep. But my supply decreased very early (around 10 weeks) to pretty much nothing plus I was also unprepared for how painful it would become!
    So she ended up self weaning with a bit of encouragement from me such as taking her off early and cuddling instead. She is still very attached to my b00bs however! She likes to pat them and gives them kisses

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onesie23 For This Useful Post:

qldbaby  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for the warning about the pain. I found breastfeeding super painful for the first three months so I guess I can expect to revisit that stage, oh well. Curious whether DD will self wean, I heard the milk is supposed to taste salty, anyone know when that starts? I will look up the association info. I usually feed DD laying down so I'm not sure how that will work when there is a big belly in the way, might have to flip her the other way. I heard something about womens bodies being able to make the right milk for the right kid when there are 2, and the toddler can claim one side and the newborn can claim the other. Is this remotely true? Do most tandem feeders share sides or split up? Is newborn milk ok for toddlers? Does the toddler steal too much colostrum? What happens to the toddler when the mum is in hospital - expressed milk I guess? Those are some things that come to mind anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am almost 16 weeks pregnant and still feeding my 21 mth old (just one feed a day though).
    My milk supply has pretty much been zero for a few weeks now and I am producing colostrum instead- she doesn't seem to mind.
    I agree with contacting ABA, I have a great booklet from them about "Breastfeeding through pregnancy and beyond" which covers tandem feeding too :-)

Me + DH = DD! (4/4/10)
    & now baby #2 is on the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am now 38 weeks pg and still breastfeeding my 21 month old. Lying down feeding still works, bub is just at more of an angle and i have to make sure she doesn't wiggle and kick my tummy.

Cradle hold got pretty difficult from around 30 weeks, and last week or so my DD kinda sits in front of me to feed.

We have gone through a few stages when she has fed less, milk definitely decreased with pregnancy, but she has continued to feed til now.

I have had breastfeeding aversion, nausea and sore nipples, but DD and i have worked together and still both ok about feeding.

congrats on your pregnancy and good luck with your breastfeeding journey

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Mimz  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 7 weeks atm and think my supply has gone from low to almost nothing.

Past few months my ds has been only feeding from one side and that is only a comfort feed before nap/sleep and in the morning. If my supply was 100% at this point i would say it had gone down to 10%..

Now he is really fussy when going to sleep and I dont think he is getting anything at all. Is it possible that it has dried out despite actively trying to feed?

I really wish to increase my supply a bit but dont even know if it is possible, espsically being pregnant. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding during pregnancy -> breastfeeding 2 kids?

I wish I knew too to increase supply. I'm feeding my DS who is 29 months old and am 13 weeks. I've still milk right side but not much. As its been horribly hot here in seq I've been drinking an abundant amount of water and I'm finding he is asking for it more. I'm not sure how long I will feed him for as I've never been one to feed past 3 yrs. I've bf whilst pregnant before but that was 14 years ago. I must admit its taking it out of me. But I just know I had an easier labour with that pregnancy. So I will push through this. Mimz maybe try more water. I know you've probably suffering ms but it may help.