+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So we had our time in Fiji and based on my experiences (stayed at resort on denarau, took day trips to islands, did a little drive between nadi and latouka) I would not recommend Fiji.

Perhaps we went at a really dodgy time, but yeah, I have no interest in going back.

Sorry to those who love it but it was probably the worst holiday ever.

Others never experienced Fiji the way we did but I can only go on my personal experiences.

On the plus side, it did give DP and I a chance to be alone and enjoy each others company but yeah.

Disappointing. We have travelled a lot.

My reviews on individual things will be on trip adviser this weekend. I've already fired off emails to one particular company haha.

We've decided our next island will be Tahiti but it's back to Europe first for us next year. (Technically it's a holiday in Asia for me as DP has to go over for work hehe although I will have a new baby so hmm maybe it'll be work for me too).

Best of luck with planning your honeymoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are going to Fiji in May and staying on Taveuni island. Have a toddler climbing on me so will wrote more later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We loved Fiji but stopped in at denarau on way to the airport and it was awful so don't go there!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love love loved Fiji and can't wait to go back! We stayed at the Shangra-La and it was beautiful. Nadi is a bit gross but worth the drive around. Too many Fiji-Indians there. The traditional Fijians and their villages is fascinating! Good luck and enjoy! Ps be aware of the weather... Hot!!!!!

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i hope no one is planning on going soon, major flooding at the moment and a state of natural disaster has just been declared. pity im due to fly out to nadi this saturday and it's currently over 6m under water flights are still going but at this stage i won't be able to get from the airport to my husband's house in suva, both kings road (the north road) and queens road (the south road) are closed due to flooding

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have stayed in Fiji a few times now andits very hit and miss. Vanuatu is lovely and we really enjoyed it there.

My favourite has to be Treasure Island. I cant even begin to describe how wonderful that holiday was for us. The people are just amazing and love children, the island itself was absolutely beautiful and the food was delicious.

I would always recommend getting meal deals, but not drinks.

I didnt like Nadi and the Outrigger is awful. We went there last year after it had been refurbed, still awful. Do not go there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    We loved Fiji but stopped in at denarau on way to the airport and it was awful so don't go there!!
    I didnt like Denarua either, it didnt feel like I was in Fiji at all....it was so touristy, full of young teenagers with daddies credit card. The fijians wern't that friendly here either, it seemed all businesslike.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    my DH is fijian so i've been there 8 times. I'm actually heading over 28 january for 6 months!

there are so many wonderful resorts, it would really depend on what your budget is. definitely don't stay at nadi and i'd avoid suva (the capital) too. if you wanted to stay on the main land any of the resorts along the coral coast (warwick, naviti, outrigger, hideaway, etc) would be your best bet. i have stayed at hideaway numerous times and LOVE it there, however it's not what it used to be. i do prefer the rooms there over say naviti or outrigger only because they are done in lots of two bures (like duplexes) whereas naviti and outrigger is more hotel style accommodation (people above, below and either side of you).
    If you're on more of a budget there are a couple of nice budget hotels at Korotogo (also on the coral coast) casablanca and bedarra inn are two that come to mind.
    While the beaches are quite beautiful along the coral coast if you're into snorkelling/diving you'll be better off on an island. it is generally more pricey though. i have heard good things about malolo island resort, plantation island resort and castaway.
    if you're after something much less touristy i would suggest going to vanua levu (the second largest island) and staying somewhere around savusavu. it really is beautiful, and somewhat undiscovered in terms of tourists. this website lists a few of the better hotels/resorts there http://www.savusavuhotels.com/
    i would recommend, if you can, getting a meal/drinks package if you're planning on spending a lot of time at the resort you choose. it's an easy and usually cheaper option.
    if you want to know anything else just PM me, when it comes to fiji i can't even begin to tell you how much i love it and what an amazing place it is!
    I started typing a post, but I was pretty much just echoing what mrstuilawa said. Even down to the Fijian husband! (well, mine's half, but he spent a lot of his childhood there).
    If you're travelling with children, the Shangri-La is meant to be the best. But when I went with him in 2009 we stayed at the Warrick, and they were all fantastic with the kids I saw there

mrstuilawa - that sucks!
    Though, according to the Fijian BOM the flood risk in on the Western side is dying down. You right get lucky, and one of the roads might open by the time you get in. I'd keep an eye on the main BOM site for updates. Good luck!
    Last edited by Berrie; 26-01-2012 at 12:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    i hope no one is planning on going soon, major flooding at the moment and a state of natural disaster has just been declared.
    That really bad for them we loved Fiji went their in 2008 I think its flooded many times before

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    I started typing a post, but I was pretty much just echoing what mrstuilawa said. Even down to the Fijian husband! (well, mine's half, but he spent a lot of his childhood there).
    If you're travelling with children, the Shangri-La is meant to be the best. But when I went with him in 2009 we stayed at the Warrick, and they were all fantastic with the kids I saw there

mrstuilawa - that sucks!
    Though, according to the Fijian BOM the flood risk in on the Western side is dying down. You right get lucky, and one of the roads might open by the time you get in. I'd keep an eye on the main BOM site for updates. Good luck!
    Where abouts did your husband live?? thanks for the info it's incredibly hard to find info on road closures etc for fiji haha i've been stressing a little haha. though i did call the bus company i was planning on travelling with and they're still doing trips nadi to suva so as long as the rain doesnt get worse i should be safe!!