+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying and ttc

Last edited by Sammyp; 11-04-2012 at 22:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to Aus! I can't believe all that is happening in chch. It's so sad. Hope you're enjoying the weather and everything

Sorry for gatecrashing your post..I'm not ttc or studying but one of my friends was studying and became pregnant quicker than she expected. She found it quite hard to finish off study while being pregnant and also giving birth and coping with a new born. But she got thru it and it was a great achievement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats sammyp on being accepted and starting afresh somewhere new. It must be exciting for you

I have almost finished my honours year in science and was supposed to ttc during it, however a lot of the lab work I was doing prevented it as I was (and still am) dealing with some fairly nasty chemicals. I have also just been offered some pretty amazing opportunities resulting from my honours work so right now ttc is on hold and I am in limbo land regarding what to do. I think the best thing would be to put it off.... but then what? It's all too hard and confusing at the moment.

Anyway was just letting you know you aren't the only one out there

Good luck settling in and getting started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I know it's hard being a female in study.

But I figure I can have a few months to settle in and that I will only plan to get pregnant so that I know ill def be finished before it arrives (unless something goes wrong)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol sorry finished that prematurely just noticed a bush fire by our house!!

So just going to deal with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well you hit the nail on the head - there is no such thing as perfect timing and its something that worries me, and I find it hard to find a balance between wanting to start a family and getting my career going at the same time.

I had the same opinion as you at the start, but then when I got into it - it has been a really demanding time on me - its a stressful year and I haven't got into crunch time yet. There is so much work to do in such a small period of time. Putting it off was more practical (in the lab work way) plus I worried about having bad morning sickness or complications.. so we decided to wait a bit longer.... and now I have been offered a phd placement and there is interest in my work - I am presenting at an upcoming conference... it's hard to say no when I am finally starting to reap the benefits of 5 years of hard work.

Life I guess has got in the way. I found it easy to say "I'll just do it" but then when these opportunities come up, I have found it much harder to actually say "no, I'm starting a family." Hence limbo land.

I hope you can make an easier decision than what I have been able to. It has been a struggle to be honest, but you seem to know what you want so go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I will change my mind, or delay by a few months I have to be our of the lab by september so not that far away anyways..

I too will be dealing with chemicals not sure how bad they'll be yet but I will have to find out. I'm dealing with a fungus so I really have no idea til I get there..

We will just see

Congrats on the phd stuff, that was my plan too but having a baby got in the way hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think my problem is that I am indecisive and I want everything now hehe. So don't let what I say turn you off - was just telling you what has happened to me and what decisions I am trying to make at the moment. I am sure other people can and do make it work Hopefully what you have to work with in the lab is tame enough for you to not have to worry about it if you are also ttc.

Fungus sounds interesting! Have fun with it - honours has been a great year for me - I have met a lot of great people, (some of which will be future colleagues I'm sure), I'm lucky in that I have fantastic supervisors, I have learnt a lot and I think I have come a long way since I started. It's all very exciting good luck with it all and good luck with ttc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol thanks and the same to you. Haha I'm too impatient, can't get babies off my brain really interferes with study while I'm trying to write my proposal.

Owell...