+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vitamins

Hi
    I am pregnant with my first child due in August and was wondering if anyone took vitamins and which ones?

I am a big baby myself and can't swallow tablets without gagging and creating a scene!!! I want to do the right thing but the tablets i have looked at are massive!!!!

Not sure what to do!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The main thing you need is folate. Perhaps if you can find a smaller folate tablet?

The other option is a dissolvable/effervescent multi vitamin. I had to use these for a while after I had stomach surgery. I used Supradyn and it tasted like fizzy tropical cordial. I would just check what ingredients are in them, because I know the one I was using has Ginseng in it which isn't recommended in pregnancy.

Hope that helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

junior1002  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The ones I've taken are quite big, Elevit and Blackmores Pregnancy and breastfeeding tablets. However when I was buying iron tablets in the Pharmacy the other day, I saw iron and folate tablets together and they were small tablets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

junior1002  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for your help! I have got blackmores folate tablets which look reasonable!!! We'll see how I go!!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As long as you have a healthy diet, you only need the folate supplement (and sometimes not even then...but better to be safe than sorry with that one IMO). The folate tablets on their own are small compared to multivitamins. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Natlib,
    Vitamins are essential for human and infant health and we must have essential vitamins to maintain health. I will advise you to consult your lady doctor as she knows your health condition better than us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dr said just folate was fine as long as I ate a healthy balanced diet. Brent the sex of the doctor is irrelevant

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pmakes3 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When you see your GP next ask for a full blood test and check all your vitamin/iron/protein/ etc levels, so you know what or if you need a supplement, especially vitamin D which is the most common deficiency and is extremely important for pregnant women, folate is important for the first trimester , fish oils for the second and iron for the third , even in a perfect diet bubba can suck all the nutrients out of you so it's important every time you get blood work done while pregnant always ask to have them check your vitamin levels!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

DJMUMMY  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So glad I'm not the only one! I started taking Natures Own vitamins when we started trying - in May 2009!! Even now I still occasionally gag on panadol. The N/O vitamins are a bit on the big side, but are capsule shaped and coated, not powdery like panadol tablets.

DJMUMMY is offline BH Advocate for south west Sydney
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi Ladies I have to agree with elijahs mum, definitely talk to you dr about blood tests especially for iron.... I ended up anaemic and my GP picked it up I time before I had to have a csection.... My dd grew healthy and took a lot of my iron stores.... Iron takes months to build back up too, just thought of that too. best of luck!