+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Extreme tiredness...

I have been suffering from extreme tiredness for a week now. I've barely had any help with DS but I don't think that's it... I'm ok when I get up in the morning but within 2 hrs the tiredness hits and I could honestly lie on the lounge and sleep all day if I could.

Should I see a GP about this? It's driving me mad and I'm miserable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go talk to the dr maybe your iron levels are low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've been feeling exactly the same for at least 6 months now. I spend most of my days lying on the couch. I just don't have the energy to do anything.
    I've been to the doctor and had blood work done. It all came back perfect. The doctor seemed to think its all stress related but I don't. I've always been a chronic stresser and right now I am now where near as stressed or anxious.as I have been at other times in my life.
    I have to go and have more blood work done this month and go back to the doc so will ask if there is something else it could be. I'm thinking it could be something hormonal so i'm going to suggest that.

You should go to the doc and hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i have chronic fatigue, 3 doctors failed to find anything wrong except a very slight iron deficiency. my kinesiologist saved me, and continues to when it flares again. mine is linked to some complex emotional thing that i'm still trying to get to the bottom of. i'm producing enough energy apparently but it's not being distributed properly. i don't know, don't ask me! that's just what i've been told!
    hm, could still be stress. could be subconscious stress.

absolutely see a gp to get your iron and vit b checked, but failing that there may well be a cause in your emotional/mental health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BlackEyedPea,

I would definitely see someone if it continues. My story is below if you wish to read it. In short, 2 years with fatigue, on the improve, but now 36 weeks pregnant, so hard to tell the differenct between illness fatigue and pregnancy fatigue. Biggest lessons learnt - accept all the help you can get from whomever offers it and prioritise your activities i.e. spending time with loved ones over housework.

I wish you all the best with your energy - may it improve ASAP.

My fatigue story:
    I have been chronically fatigued for almost two years now (I'm told I don't have chronic fatigue syndrome but I don't fully understand the difference).

Things I have had checked and rectified...

Iron stores - this is known as ferritin and low levels can make you tired without being aneamic. This was the first thing found, and has now been fixed with a few iron shots and ongoing iron supplements (I prefer liquid over tablet form)

Vit D - still trying to lift these levels but improving over time. I take a Vit D oil supplement, as prescribed by a doctor.

Gut function - this has been the big thing for me. My digestive system wasn't working as it should, the result being me not absorbing the necessary nutrients (hence low iron stores). There were two reasons identified - 1 I had some parasites and - 2 I was found to be gluten intolerant. The poor gut function and parasites were found using a gut function test and the gluten intolerance was found by me doing an exclusion diet.
    The parasites were killed off with some rather strong antibiotics. Then gut function was improved by a number of natropath supplements and some strong probiotics, and of course removing gluten from my diet. (it sounds so simple when I put it like that!)

To find all this out I started with a regular GP (she found the iron issue but wouldn't look past that, so I moved on from her), then moved to a GP who is also a natropath (gut function and parasites) and then added in a GP who specialized in chronic fatigue (he confirmed the gluten intolerance and the gut function issues).

End result, my energy levels have improved over time and I was lucky enough to fall pregnant in the midst of all the treatment. I guess I won't really know if its all worked until I get past the preggo fatigue and serious sleep deprivation bought on by a newborn (bub will be making an appearance in the next 4-5 weeks), but I'm keeping my hopes up for now.

Good luck.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    oh yes i've also made diet changes which i think have helped. cutting gluten and caffeine (among other things). gluten is very heavy and it turns out i'm intolerant to it anyway (i get this huge brick in my stomach if i eat it), and caffeine is a drug which gives you a short high and then a crash. cutting caffeine is also beneficial for iron levels.

gluten is actually not all that difficult to cut, compared to, say, soy..