+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I panic?

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and currently on holidays in Phuket, Thailand. Sorry for TMI...I've had a small amount of brownish discharge on and off since last night and just now have wiped and found what looks like a small brown clot. I don't have any cramping, aside from an indigestion-type of discomfort under my ribs at the moment..nothing in my lower abdomen. From net research, it looks like spotting is common in pregnancy and not necessarily indicative of miscarriage, but should be mentioned to your Dr. We get back to Australia on 13th Jan and i have a scan on 16th jan (because an earlier scan revealed that I have an arcuate uterus, although Dr assured me that there was no increased risk of miscarriage and was happy for me to travel).

I'm not sure whether to wait until then, or if I should go to a doctor over here. As it's not particularly easy to get to a doctor over here (although not impossible or I wouldn't have come here!), i had thought I would wait it out unless I noticed red/fresh blood and/or cramps, but the clot has freaked me out a little. Should i see someone straight away or is it ok to wait and see? Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear. I too had brown discharge between 8-12wks with this pregnancy and as I didnt with my first, I freaked out. Unfortunately if you are miscarriaging there is absolutely nothing that can be done. You are best to just stay calm and wait til you get home. Unless you are in pain, I wouldnt bother with finding a Dr there.
    Just to give some positivity to my negative post, I am now 30wks, and the bleeding cause remains unknown. Best of luck, enjoy your holiday, and remember whatever happens it is nothing that you have done wrong, its just one of those things.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello I had brown discharge very early in my pregnancy with my DS. I totally freaked out but it turned out to be nothing. Try not to worry

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Sorry to hear. I too had brown discharge between 8-12wks with this pregnancy and as I didnt with my first, I freaked out. Unfortunately if you are miscarriaging there is absolutely nothing that can be done. You are best to just stay calm and wait til you get home. Unless you are in pain, I wouldnt bother with finding a Dr there.
    Just to give some positivity to my negative post, I am now 30wks, and the bleeding cause remains unknown. Best of luck, enjoy your holiday, and remember whatever happens it is nothing that you have done wrong, its just one of those things.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    ^^^ this. I've bled with all my pregnancies. Some dark, some bright red. Also had a couple of little clots. It doesn't always mean a loss, but I would just take it easy for the next 24 hours and rest.

Like MummaOJ said, if you are loosing, there is nothing you can do o stop it and nothing you did has caused it. We lost our first and I think I bled the least with that pregnancy! I bled on and off until 12 weeks with DS and this baby (currently 28 weeks), so don't scare yourself too much. Just relax and take it easy for a day or two and hopefully it will settle down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have travel insurance? You can always call their 24hr medical help desk / assistance line and ask to talk to a nurse. That way you get their recommendation on what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your reassurance! Very helpful!

I just called and spoke to a midwife at Royal Brisbane who backed up your suggestions completely. Basically, no need to see a doctor/ED at this stage unless I see a lot of fresh blood and experience cramping. She indicated that, if I am miscarrying, there is nothing anyone can do about it anyway, so it's ok to wait until I get back to check it out. Bottom line was to not worry about it though. I'm going to try my darnedest not to, and until I can confirm things at my scan, i'll try to focus on the stories of people who had this kind of thing and went on to have a healthy bub.

Thanks again ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How are things OP? Hope it all settled down and you're enjoying the rest of your holiday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I've arrived home and had a scan, which found a healthy bub (yay!) and some peri-gestational bleeds (aka subchorionic hematoma/hemorrhage). I have been told that this is relatively common and likely to resolve itself. I'm being referred to an advanced perinatal care unit for my 12 week scan, not so much because of the bleed, but I also have an arcuate uterus and bub is situated quite far to the left. I've been told it's 90% likely I will be taking home a healthy bub in 7 months' time. The bleeding has gotten worse today , so I saw gp today who suggested I take the rest of the week off to rest (and in case I need to go to the hospital all of a sudden if things get worse - kind of hard with my job). So it's been a big relief to see the little one jumping and flapping around on screen, I still feel a bit concerned. Will work on not stressing, as this makes the bleeding worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear that bubs is still in there and hope things settle down for you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!!