+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kicked my mother out of my house on DS's first birthday... BIG vent

I still can't believe this happened. She cornered me and started screaming at me out of nowhere because I failed to say 'thank you' when she walked in the door with a cake (DD was laying on the floor kicking the wall having a mega tantrum I had been trying to diffuse for about 15 minutes), because I didn't 'appreciate' the teddy bear she bought for DS ( I opened the bag and said it was lovely, he would love it, he needs to stuffed teddies, etc) and because I invited her over but didn't make her lunch (I began to cut everything up for sandwiches but again, I was dealing with DD and when I was distracted and attending to her mum took over everything!!). She stood over me, yelling in my face that I am the worst person in the world and that she will never help me with anything or buy anything for my children - who hate her anyway - ever again.

Oh, and before this, while DD was in her room crying as I was attempting to make lunch, mum marched in there and started screaming (not speaking firmly, full blown scary-do-what-i-say voice) at her to be quiet, stop crying and get dressed or daddy was going to be very, very angry with her while I hear her boyfriend next to her muttering 'why don't they just smack her? she needs to be smacked'. I Was then subjected to a lecture about the correct way to raise my children, including that it is inappropriate to let them run around the house naked on a 36 degree day.

I said, go then, mum. Seriously, just go. I don't want this behavior in front of my kids and you were out of line yelling at DD. Got told I was breaking her heart and ruining her life as she stormed out the door.

She's always been like this. In fact a breakdown like this was long overdue. But my father and brother aren't around anymore so I guess I'm the only target left. She just used me not thanking her over a cake as a spring board for all her other issues with me she's obviously been bottling up, to accuse me of purposefully making her feel sick with guilt about living too far away to babysit the kids, of not loving her because I don't answer the phone 12 of the 15 times she calls me a day to whinge about her boyfriend and his daughters, of not caring about her because when I finally sat down to eat my lunch after dealing with two hot and bothered kids all morning I was relishing some silence rather than chatting about their night, of disrespecting her because my parenting techniques are polar opposite to hers and I don't 'do' what she says so of course my kids will always misbehave and will be even worse in the future.

And the only way to fix this situation is for me to call her and reassure her over and over that she's right and I'm wrong and diffuse her anxiety and apologise for how badly I treated her.
    I've been doing this sh!t over and over since I was 11 years old.
    I'm so over it.
    Her issues aren't just her issues, they're my problem and my job to fix, they always have been and they always will be, and I've put up with it for so long because she's the only family I have left.

*sigh* I don't really know why I'm posting this, just need to vent it all out I guess. Maybe some tips on where to go from here would be good. My head is too muddled up and I'm too exhausted to think straight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh hun sounds like you had a horrible day. I have no advice I'm
    Sorry. It does sound like you need some time apart! Maybe decide what your next move is once you have calmed down.

Would she go to counseling with you? Is that an option at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sounds so stressful for you

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like my mum... Not fun at all. No advise but wanted to offer lots of

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    super hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoa - not cool OP your mother shouldn't have made a difficult situation worse by comming in and screaming at you and your children

If it makes you feel any better i would have kicked her out too

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh hun you don't have great luck with family members, hey? Concentrate on *your* little family, you'll be married soon and settling into your new place.
    Also, Congrats on being a mum of 2 for a whole year

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

laurea  (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, how horrible for you

It'd be so difficult to know what to do, as she is your mum. Have you had a decent amount of time apart? Let her know you need some space and how you feel about her parenting advice. Maybe she'll learn you're really serious this time around?

Hugs x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hugs

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

What your mother did was out of line. I hope you managed to enjoy your DS's first birthday.

If you are always having to ring her to make the peace, don't. She needs to realise she has issues before counseling would help, and maybe if you ignore her for a few days, she might understand how angry and upset you are.