+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you everyone for your great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    An oragnised pantry is always great! You don't have to buy expensive containers, just some cheap ones, there are plenty on sale at the moment. Store all your rices, pastas, flour, sugar, etc in laballed containers. Have another small box for medicines, you can buy sorters for canned foods and have your herbs in a nice rack. It makes like so much easier.
    Great idea, I love containers, so this will definitely be on my to-do-list!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    We also used those cheap expander files for our bills to be filed in and the ones that need paying stay on the kitchen bench in a little envelope holder. I have a basic budget done up in Excel for the next 3 months to see what needs to be paid.
    Brilliant. Can I ask, do you know about a great webpage where I can get budget calculators/templates? We are hopeless at budgeting and need all the help we can get!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I want to get rid of soooo much stuff but the issue is it is not mine . My DP is a hoarder and a messy one at that. So, if you live with a hoarder how do you cope? Or how do you organise someone elses things?
    Same here, my DP is a "mild" hoarder and has a emotional attachment to pretty much EVERYTHING! It drives me up the wall and makes it impossible to keep our home tidy!

What to do with these men, apart from throwing them out with the garbage!?!

Last edited by MuminMind; 01-01-2012 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOVE these threads subscribing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    LOVE these threads subscribing!
    Me too :smile: subscribing

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone recommend any other webpages?

I'm on fire, feel so inspired!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A lot of my tips have already been posted, but in no particular order:

I LIVE by the old saying pp mentioned "A place for everything and everything in its place". It is worth it to invest in storage boxes etc for the office/pantry/drawers. Spices go in the spice rack, keys go on the key hook, books go on the shelf, shoes go on the shoe rack etc etc. I have a home for bobby pins, a home for cotton wool balls etc. My pantry is full of glass jars and plastic storage containers - for pasta, rice, cereal, tea, sugar etc. It keeps it neat and tidy, and it's easy to access things and see how much stuff I have left. It also keeps items for longer.

Laundry gets done daily, and the clothes get hung out within 10-15 mins of the cycle finishing. It's my rule, otherwise it just doesn't happen. When I hang them out, I let DS1 have a play nearby and DS2 watches from a nearby rug. Dirty dishes get placed in the dishwasher immediately - there is never a dirty dish on the counter, because it's easy to pop it straight in the washer. Once full, I pop a tablet in and start it up. Prior to the dishwasher we washed as we went. If we used a plate, it got washed up afterwards.

I bought a plastic filing box with sections for filing - everything I receive in the mail that I need to keep goes in the filing box. There is a place in there for bank letters, insurance etc. I also have a compartment for receipts. If the receipt is important (I.e.: for a larger/expensive item), I usually photocopy it and staple the photocopy to the real receipt, in case it fades.

I keep a magnetic notepad on the fridge, and when I run out of a grocery item (or am running out), I write it on the notepad. I don't do the groceries without a meal plan, and I keep a Microsoft excel spreadsheet of meal ideas. I have them categorised under vegetarian/pastas/red meat etc.
    I also have an excel sheet for my budget.

I keep a family diary (I use 'The Master Plan'), it helps me to jot down important dates/activities for the kids/birthdays/appointments etc.

Anything that goes in the car, comes out of the car. If we eat take away in the car, the rubbish comes out when we next stop or when we get home. All items/shopping/bags etc get taken out of the car when we get home, otherwise it becomes a mobile rubbish truck. Except for my sunglasses...their home is in the glovebox.

Every few nights once the boys are asleep, I cut up some veggie sticks, cheese cubes and fruit which I store in the fridge. It makes it so much easier to give DS snacks throughout the day.

Just before i'm about to get out of the shower, I spray the walls down with clean water, to prevent the build up of soap scum. When I do need to clean the shower properly, I do it while I'm in there (I use vinegar & bicarb, so it's perfectly safe).

Vacuuming and mopping gets done once a week - inbetween cleans I use a handheld vacuum to spot clean (one of my favourite cleaning items). Bedsheets get changed and washed on Sundays. My clothes get put away once they are dry, otherwise it never happens - shorts and pants get folded, underwear goes in the underwear drawer, bras and socks in the next. Dresses, tops and skirts get hung up, and are colour coordinated. Both of the boys have a little sock basket each, and DS1 has one for jocks too.

I do not keep clutter. I despise it.

I have other tips, but they escape me. Some might say I'm anal, but if I don't live like this I feel stressed and overwhelmed. I also find that everything takes longer when things are a mess - trying to find keys, receipts etc is a waste of time when it's so easy to keep organised.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (03-01-2012),Guest1234  (01-01-2012),madreader  (02-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (02-01-2012),MothersMilk  (02-01-2012),MuminMind  (02-01-2012),ShanandBoc  (01-01-2012),Sparklydreamer  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I HATE cleaning arrghhhhh!

Must subscribe so I can try to start a new way of doing things for the new year. Mess is so stressful!

Thanks for sharing ladies, it's a big help!

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (02-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    For keeping ontop of the household stuff I like the daily to do lists of MotivatedMoms (yep ... USA one). The calender was cheap ($7 I think it was), download and print.

Has the everyday stuff, but also keeps you ontop of the crappy stuff I let go. There no more spring cleans as you are always tidy.

ETA: i see they have a free app too, but haven't downloaded yet to see what it is like.

---------------
    Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the typing missed cakes.
    Can I just say you are awesome Rarygirl I LOVE this app thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks mim cool thread. Sorry for hijacking

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all the responses! It's amazing how simple yet helpful some of these strategies are! I'm on holiday but I'm actually looking forward to going home and start organizing! Is that sad?

And Witwicky, I *think* I'm in love with you! No, scrap *think*; I *know* I am! Are you sure you don't want us to live in a female/kids dominated commune together? I'll move to Brisbane in a heartbeat. Just say the word!