+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing and seconding the flylady suggestion, she is amazing for us disorganized peeps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also want to declutter and get everything organised. I want to get rid of soooo much stuff but the issue is it is not mine . My DP is a hoarder and a messy one at that.

So, if you live with a hoarder how do you cope? Or how do you organise someone elses things?

I have signed up for the Flylady emails so might get him to sign up as well!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is what we do..

Hire a skip for a week so we have a deadline (and cheaper than going back and forth to the tip)

We are just ruthless in each room and hate clutter. If it hadnt being used in a year, didnt have any sentimental value or was only there because we 'might need it' it went. Anything good goes to the salvos. We have moved twice in the last two years (we were building) and didnt want old clutter in our new house.

Have good storage systems. Ikea is unreal for this! We love the Expedit systems and have the one with tubs for the kids toys and the big square frame to display book and a range of toys. So so cheap as well.

I have a DH that is happy to keep the kids out of the way and help so we get it done quicker.

We also used those cheap expander files for our bills to be filed in and the ones that need paying stay on the kitchen bench in a little envelope holder. I have a basic budget done up in Excel for the next 3 months to see what needs to be paid.

I found that once we did a major organise and declutter it was alot easier to do little ones once a month.

Cleaning, I do what I can with small children hanging off me. Nothing is pefect but its clean most of the time so I am happy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (03-01-2012),MuminMind  (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For keeping ontop of the household stuff I like the daily to do lists of MotivatedMoms (yep ... USA one). The calender was cheap ($7 I think it was), download and print.

Has the everyday stuff, but also keeps you ontop of the crappy stuff I let go. There no more spring cleans as you are always tidy.

ETA: i see they have a free app too, but haven't downloaded yet to see what it is like.

---------------
    Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the typing missed cakes.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 01-01-2012 at 17:44.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found timing my tasks really helpful. I realised it takes me only a maximum of 3 min to unpack the dishwasher, 2 to pack, 5 to handwash the leftover dishes, and 2 to cull the fridge and pantry, and 3 for a general wipe down/tidy. 15 minutes and my kitchen is spotless.

Time your tasks and allocate 2 or 3 fifteen minute blocks a day and just go hard! You'll be amazed how much you can get done in such a short space of time.

When general duties are under control I spend 15 minutes here and there on a cupboard, a room, dusting etc. After a couple of weeks the whole house is done and it feels like you barely did a thing!

When I put my bins out I also do a walk through the house with the intention of filling up one extra garbage bag.

Before my weekly grocery shop I quickly fill up a bag of clothes/toys/stuff to take to the salvo's while I'm out.

Baby steps

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mettie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    An oragnised pantry is always great! You don't have to buy expensive containers, just some cheap ones, there are plenty on sale at the moment. Store all your rices, pastas, flour, sugar, etc in laballed containers. Have another small box for medicines, you can buy sorters for canned foods and have your herbs in a nice rack. It makes like so much easier.

They are some decluttering tips. As for staying on top of things, start small, like making beds once you wake up for the first week then maybe putting a load of washing on when you wake up and hanging out after breakfast etc. Once you get yourself in a routine it becomes much easier.

Another thing I find that clutters up my house is loose papers, bills, recipets etc. Bin the ones you don't need, the ones you want to keep on record I scan onto the comp for backup and then file in a folder.

Wardrobes - anything you haven't worn in the past year,or your children/DP have outgrown, donate, bin, pass on whatever just get rid of it (unless your are wanting to keep for a younger child, in that case, fold the clothes up and store in a clear storage container)! Chances are your not going to wear it in 2012 either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (01-01-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A place for everything, and everything in its place. I am by no stretch a clean freak, but I find the above quote a really helpful one. I do 2 tidies a day (3 if I'm home with DS) and put everything where it belongs. Makes a big difference, no piles of 'stuff' around the place

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (01-01-2012),ShanandBoc  (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love these threads. My tips are...

- 4 dishes. Each times there is 4 dishes in the sink (excluding cutlery) do the dishes. A few dishes is so much easier than a load.

- Do a load of washing daily

- def de clutter. I hate nic naks and ornaments too lol as they just gather dust so keep these minimal

- I second going through wardrobes regularly. My trick is there are 3 categories. Keep, store and giveaway. If you love it and feel great in it and wear it often, keep. If your not sure and arent ready to give it away, store. If you havent missed it after 6 months, give away. And giveaway if it doesnt fit, you dont feel comftable in it or havent worn it in the past 6-12 months

- Weekly Cleaning day. I have one set day a week to do major cleaning chores like vacuum and mop entire house, furniture polish, clean toilet, bathroom and oven, change bed linen.

- Monthly cleaning day. To do less needed regular chores like clean out fridge, wipe out cupboards etc. On the 1st day of each month

- Plan. I have a meal planner every week and shop for these meals. Saves money and you know what you are having when

Thats all i can think of right now, will post more if i remember anymore!
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 01-01-2012 at 19:36.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (03-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and shower and dress yourself every morning. It really is motivating!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (03-01-2012)