+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Surgery and BFing... please HELP

So as many of you know I suffered a small stroke last week. I have stuggled with BFing but want to continue.
    Our much wanted baby is 10wks tomorrow. While at one of Melbourne’s large trauma hospital I became engorged and struggled to communicate my needs to express milk and that I required a breast pump. I felt that although they looked after my issues on one level they didn’t seem to understand the importance of the emotional distress of being engorged and wanting my baby to BF!
    Surly a major hospital, admittedly no maternity/children are treated would have some sort of "plan" for BFing mothers?- I was offered to allow my baby to sleep in the bed with me? But thought it a SIDS risk?
    My fears are now that I require brain surgery in 2-3 weeks and be placed into an induced comma to treat my aneurysm that needs to be clipped after which all going well I’ll go into rehab.

What will become of my milk?
    What would you do? Wean/ dry up your milk?
    The Doctors and staff aren’t too interested as everyone keeps telling me that’s really not their issue as me coming out alive and able to function is.
    I have watched my Mother go through the same thing but her aneurysm ruptured; I am lucky but now very scared as I know the very real possibility of it going wrong.
    I’ve organised a power of attorney, to be Christened and a will....

What else should I – would you do in my situation???
    Last edited by moosmum2; 01-01-2012 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am sorry you are having a rough time, and that you are not being listened to.

I would contact the ABA, and try to find a lactation consultant close to me to develop a breastfeeding plan.

I would also talk to the anaesthetic dr and surgeon about the need to use drugs that are breastfeeding friendly, or where this is impossible to find out how long drugs will be in your system.

Look into buying, borrowing or hiring a pump (the ABA hires them), and find out options for having bub brought to you for feeds, and staying with you in rehab (if you are doing ok)..

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a minor operation (appendix) in 2010 and was breastfeeding a 1yo at the time. Obviously he required less feeds than your little bubba but I got DH to bring my pump and expressed a couple of times before the op. I came out at night then breastfed him the next morning.

Def ring the ABA Breastfeeding Helpline there are many mums who have had operations and continued breastfeeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry that you did not receive the support from the staff in regards I your BFing...could you ask to tal to one of the social workers or liaison nurses? I work in ICU at one of melbournes trauma centers and we have fantastic liaison nurses who will support you.

Agree with the above posts as well about speaking to ABA or lactation consultant.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think what would be beneficial is for you to be given a timeline of what is expected to happen including what sort of drugs are going to be administered to you so you, whether they are breastfeeding friendly and then work out from there when you can express or feed bubs around this. (This might also show you if you have any cause to be concerned about engorgement if you're in surgery for a long time as that might introduce other risks.) This might be a simple thing to do but I'm assuming it might be more problematic if the surgeons can't give you a definite timeline but you could factor in possible senarios. I would also start building up a supply of EBM now and pop your stash in the freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez moosmum I really hope everything is going to be ok and your recovery is quick. I hope you find someone who can advocate for you so you can have someone listen to you regarding your breastfeeding.
    All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bumping this to see if you are ok moosmum?

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one