+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does any single parent work casual/relief work?

I'll be graduating as a teacher in June and will be doing relief work till I get a full time placement. This means I won't know how much money I'll be getting.. it will all depend on how much work I get.

I'm using JET atm and it's been great, they told me they will keep it going as long as I don't earn more than 1500 per fortnight for 6 fortnights straight - then it stops (but I figure that's okay because I should be able to keep paying childcare if I'm earning that much).

My concerns with relief and casual work are that I might not get work. I certainly won't get paid over Christmas as the schools are closed. I will phone centerlink and discuss the options but just curious to know how other single parents work things out (centerlink so far have told me to wait and let it all work itself out at tax time.. they just work off my taxable income but I don't want a huge debt at tax time). I have 3 children (2, 4 and 7)

...would I be able to keep my:
    • pension card (or would it revert to a health care card?)
    • rent assitance would go I imagine?
    • I'd still get the tax fortnightly rebate for childcare I know.. but would it still apply to before/after school care (which I might have to book regardless of work as I need to be available before and after school times)
    • FTB A - I think I'd still get 'something' here wouldn't I? looking at the site it says you lose 40c in the dollar?
    • FTB B - would I still get that?
    • child support.. I have a private agreement with exhusband through CSA but I think he won't do it once I start working again so it will have to go off an assessment for him (his taxable income is much less than his 'real' income).. CSA said not to worry about how much I earn that first year I return to work.. they will just go off my taxable income.
    • large family suppliement - would I still get this?
    any thing I'm missing I need to consider?

How do you manage with irratic payments with relief/casual work? any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    PPS is worked out on fn income. So you will have to go over that threshold for 6 fortnights then you lose it. I lost mine because i was earning to much but the moment my income dropped below the threshold i reapplied for PPS and had no issues. you should be able to do the same.

FTB is worked out on your yearly taxable income. So whatever estimate you give the FAO will be used to determined your FTB entitlement and CCB. I had last years estimate at 53k (i think or there abouts). I lost a bit of FTB A and rent assistance. I think i got about $550/fn in total. Where as if i was only on PPS its around $600 a fn. So not much was lost.

I wasn't eligible for a HCC as the cut is around 44k and i obviously lost my pension card when i lost the pension.

I'm not sure about the large family supp or JET as i've never been entitled to either of these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks.
    umm that's interesting.. so I might lose the health care card.. that would suck bigtime with 3 small children/doctor visits/medication etc...

I'm not sure how to estimate my income when I start relief teaching as it will be very dependant on how much work I get etc.. I guess worse came to worse I would have a centerlink debt and it would come out of my tax refund perhaps? but don't want to be in that situation. Will have to have a huge session over the phone with centerlink.. see I'm trying to work out my situation re childcare.. JET said they would keep paying for at least 6 months after I graduate so long as I didn't earn more than 1500 pfn 6 in a row.. which makes me think I should only make myself available for 2-3 days for teaching.. which, in turn, limits my chances of getting regular work. sooo hard.. I just hope I get a full time place soon but those chances are really slim unless I want to move to the country. Once my daughter starts school in 2013 it might help re the cost of kindy to just have 1 in full time... still sooo expensive on one income. I really want to work full-time and get ahead but government makes childcare so expensive! even with rebate my kindy would be around $500 for a full time place. umm ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I found the loss of pension card/HCC didn't really affect me at all. There are a fair few bulk billing doctors in the area. Garden city family doctors (next to amcal chemist), the doctors surgery at the bigtop/homemaker centre at Mt. Gravatt and there is another at Wishart.
    I had to pay for full price medication a few times but was only $20 so dollars i think.

With your FTB just way over estimate. That way anything you were underpaid you will receive at tax time with the FTB supps. While you are entitled to even a part payment of PPS you are entitled to maximum FTB. I could earn $1628 a fn before i lost my pension. I think you could earn slightly more as you have a 3rd child.

I think you will be fine. How long is a school term? They aren't ever over 12 weeks are they? So even if you earn too much for say 10 weeks in a row, once school holidays roll around you won't be working so you will get maximum PPS for that fn. So if thats they case you will maintan your maximum entitlement to FTB/CCB throughout the whole year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How long is a school term? They aren't ever over 12 weeks are they? So even if you earn too much for say 10 weeks in a row, once school holidays roll around you won't be working so you will get maximum PPS for that fn. So if thats they case you will maintan your maximum entitlement to FTB/CCB throughout the whole year.
    I think it's around 11/12 weeks...

that sounds great! I'll have to apply for full-time teaching in Qld but I've heard I'll be relief teaching for a long time while I wait but that might suit me with the children being so young.

thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Apparently if you go out to Logan into the more undesirable areas teaching jobs are easier to come by.
    I was working with a guy who started his first teaching job last year. He went out and handed in a bunch of resumes in Logan. He landed a few jobs but the one he took the principal said to him so long as he's prepared to come to work and be told to get f**ked and the likes everyday the job was his. So if you could handle that it might be the way to go?
    He is only doing it to build up experience then will hopefully move on elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Another thought. I know with some afterschool care they will let you book on a per need basis so long as they have the spots. So it will depend on where your kids go to school and what the OSH's care is like but you might be able to get away with only booking them in when you need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently if you go out to Logan into the more undesirable areas teaching jobs are easier to come by.
    I was working with a guy who started his first teaching job last year. He went out and handed in a bunch of resumes in Logan. He landed a few jobs but the one he took the principal said to him so long as he's prepared to come to work and be told to get f**ked and the likes everyday the job was his. So if you could handle that it might be the way to go?
    He is only doing it to build up experience then will hopefully move on elsewhere.
    yeah I've heard very similar things.. I was told from another teacher during my last prac, that when you sit the interview for ed qld you then go 'on the books' for a full time teaching place (i.e. you don't have to interview all the time or hand resumes in.. you're just a registered teacher with the department) and the department offers you 3 teaching positions (full time) over your time there.. they could be country (miles and miles away) or local it just depends.. but you get 3 offers.. if you turn down the 3rd offer you're off the books and have to apply again from the start. That's what I heard.. though yet to confirm it. I've also heard that even though I'm a single parent with 3 young dependants and need my family near by etc.. that it doesn't matter.. they don't take any excuses.. if you apply for full time teaching with the department you have take what they offer.

It sounds like your friend must have applied to private schools? I don't understand the resume thing because it would have to be registered with the department and that's where you do your interview? unless the principal has final say or something??? I'm not 'that' far from Logan (about 25 minutes) so could go that far for full time teaching.. it would (not to be patronising or anything) be a great place to 'cut my teeth' and learn the ropes better before being thrust into a busy metro school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thought. I know with some afterschool care they will let you book on a per need basis so long as they have the spots. So it will depend on where your kids go to school and what the OSH's care is like but you might be able to get away with only booking them in when you need it.
    I've heard some similar things re - if you teach at that school etc.. but my son's school I know there is a waiting list nearly a year long for after/before school care. my parents said they would help if necessary so I might have to take advantage of whatever help I get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It sounds like your friend must have applied to private schools? I don't understand the resume thing because it would have to be registered with the department and that's where you do your interview? unless the principal has final say or something??? I'm not 'that' far from Logan (about 25 minutes) so could go that far for full time teaching.. it would (not to be patronising or anything) be a great place to 'cut my teeth' and learn the ropes better before being thrust into a busy metro school.
    No he went to public schools. He just took in resumes after he finished uni. I think the school is called Harrisville or something similar to that.