+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS at 35 weeks due to IUGR.. He was 2.1kgs and 47cms. He spent 2.5 weeks in the NICU/SCN. His treatment included CPAP, heart/breathing monitoring, humidicrib , drips, tube feeding etc for the majority of the time. He was discharged at 2.3kgs

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Bub was born at 28+3 as I had pre eclampsia and high blood pressure, but he was fine and wanted to stay put, in total I was in hospital for almost a month I was very sick and he came home at 37 weeks, he was in NICU til 32 weeks then transferred to a hospital closer to home into the special care unit for the rest of the time. From the age of 30weeks bub has everything it needs to live in the outside world, it just needs to grow and get its brown fat. It's a very worrying time for you, but find some comfort in the fact they have the technology these days to give your bub every chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My waters broke at 20 weeks with my DS. I managed to hold out until 27+1 and he was delivered via emergency Caesarian due to increased risk of infection. Born at 1390 grams on day 2 was diagnosed with NEC and had surgery just an hour after diagnosis. We spent 59 days in hospital after losing him 3 times due to an allergic reaction to morphine which they administered to him to reinsert his stoma. He was released at just 1600 grams and 1 month before his due date. 2 weeks after being released he has surgery again to reconnect his bowel and started to live a normal life. 6 days after being released from his surgery he was readmitted to hospital suffering from chronic RSV where he stopped breathing again and was on life support for 11days. Since then he has been good as gold. Now nearly 2 he is nearly up to scratch with other kids his age. Weight a hefty 13 kgs and is heavier than his 3yo sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Star Whaker,
    My bub had stomal surgery for a perforated colon at 3 days, however, she was cleared of NEK and no reason was found. She had her illiostomy reversed at about 12 weeks (3 weeks corrected) and has never looked back since!
    I was so happy to change that first dirty nappy as opposed to a colostomy bag!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all,

I had a 25 weeker this May, weighing 635g. She was ventilated for 3 weeks and suffered pneumothorax, staph infection and seizures all in those first few weeks. Another 8 weeks on CPAP and a little while on pbf oxygen. 102 days later she came home!

She is now 23 weeks (actual) 8 weeks (corrected) and 3.8kg. No obvious conditions or disabilities found to date- it feels like months of holding my breath to see how her brain turns out!

Really great to read some other micro prem arrivals who are now doing so well.

michelle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starwhacker and GMO1,
    great to hear your stories.

Star- what a full on journey. And what a great weight for a 27weeker! Amazing you held out for 7w with broken waters. So glad your boy is doing so well now.

GM- this thread is full of super-early premmie success stories. Congrats on the birth of your girl. Having a premier does seem to be all about waiting. You wait in the NICU. You wait in the nursery, for the next feed, while you pump, while you run around like crazy trying to keep your life together outside of hospital, all you do is hold your breath, waiting to get back to your baby. Waiting for the next milestone, the next monitor or piece of equipment to come off, the next heartbeat.

I hope your little girl continues to thrive and be perfectly ok despite her early start.

What little fighters both your bub must be to get through what they have. Feel free to post long and detailed stories about the ins and outs - we love reading them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BaronessM, well, here is the long version!

I started having what I thought was braxton hicks pains at 24weeks 5 days and after about an hour of them not going away and getting worse I called my local hospital where I was booked in. They said it was probably nothing but since I was close to come on down.

I arrived and the midwife showed me to a room where I layed down - she was immediately concern as she could see my stomach tightening and called my OB, he was on holidays but his partner had just arrived to deliver a baby so came and saw me. He confirmed they were contractions so I was given a shot of a steroid to "help the baby's lungs in case she arrived" and shipped off to the women's hospital immediately - which scared the hell out of me!

When I got there I was given some relaxants to try and stop the contractions and examined - I wasn't dialated, phew! They eased and I was sent up to a ward and was told I'd be there 1-2 days for monitoring.

The next morning I had a large bleed. A very worrying amount. I was sent for a thorough scan and they found a large clot (6cm) behind my placenta. So it was bed rest in the hospital for a week until they could re-scan and see what the clot was doing (growing, being reabsorbed etc).

I never lasted a week... one evening when I was getting ready for my husband to come and see me after work I started having more contractions, they got bad very quickly. Within a half an hour I had the OB over the phone giving instructions and hooked up to monitoring. And then I started bleeding BADLY and the contractions were turning into one long "tightening" with no relief. The OB arrived and assessed the situation, he put an IV line in my hand and was arranging for me to head to the labour and delivery ward "for closer monitoring" when it got even worse. I had a full placental abruption - I could feel a massive amount of blood coming out and my baby girl's heart rate dropped. They pulled out all the cords from the wall and ran me down to theatre. They gave me a general, no prep and did a crash c-section.

Olivia was born at 25+4 and weighed 635g - she was immediately ventillated as se was not able to breathe. Over the next 24 hours they found she had a hole in her heart (an open PDA), a collapsed lung (pneumothorax) and various other minor (well, what seemed very minor compared to the first few things) issues. She had an ICC chest drain inserted and removed twice and was sedated. The most heart breaking thing I remember from the first week was them writing down a "pain score" every hour on her chart, assessed from her vitals and twitches. It was so hard to know that the outside world hurt so much for her :-(

The following week she had overcome her collapsed lung and was finally given her first feed via OGT. She had her umbi-lines taken out and a long-line put in (an IV all the way to near her heart). She needed a blood transfusion because she couldn't make her own red blood cells and while testing her to make sure she was ready they noticed a temperature dip and that something wasn't right. The insertion of the long line had given her a staph infection and for the next few days we held our breaths - she was siezing, hooked up to every monitor they had, pumped full of meds, assessed my neurologists and every doctor there... I was given my first hold, just incase it would be my only one. But amazingly, she pulled through!

She was not weighed for a while as she was too fragile, so I don't know how far her weight dropped - but it took her over a month to gain the 365g needed to reach the magical 1kg mark. I baked a caramel slice for the staff when he hit that milestone!

After our shocking start, the rest of our journey was relatively straight forward (in terms of what is "normal" for a 25 weeker, in no way normal for any other baby!). She progressed from the ventillator to CPAP, then to cycling between CPAP and PBF (oxygen) and finally just on a little sniff of oxygen before coming off everything completely, one week before her due date. We waited another week in hospital until they were satisfied with her level of desats before being allowed to take our precious girl home, 1 day after her due date.

No reason was ever discovered for my placental abruption. I had great blood pressure, no health issues, was fit and exercising into my pregnancy and had suffered no trauma. It was just bad luck.

The days in the NICU seemed to go on for ever and blend into one... it's incredible to think how long we spent there and how hard she had to fight. I am just so glad that she won't ever remember any of it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How early was your bub?

Reading these posts I thank my lucky stars that my little boy had no issues.
    You all are so strong to go through such a battle. I can only imagine what it must feel like to leave your baby behind for such a long time.
    He was born 35+3, 2.7kg, 47cm. Came out after an induced labour. PPROM at 35 weeks, pushed the doctors to not touch me for 3 days. Had 2 lots if steroid injections. Tested positive for strep b so off to the induction I went.
    They started preparing me for the worst. Saying I could expect about 2.2kg, some lung development issues, and him having other things bit right. He decided to show them all! Popped out easily, screaming as loudly as he could! I was even able to hold him to my chest for 10min before they took him for assessment.
    Spent the night in Special Care, then the next morning he was in my room. We have had attachment issues, and 2 nights under the lights. Now we have reflux and trying to get the right meds.
    1 week and 2 days after he was born, he was discharged at 11.30pm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi GMO1, from one Mich to another!

Thanks for posting your full story. Wow. What a journey! So you and bub are another Concealed Placental Abruption survivor pair. Please go to 'Placental Abruptions ~ your stories please' thread and either post more relevant to the Plac.Ab, or repost your story there. There is a small group of us over there, and the others would love to hear your stories.

You are so mega, mega, super lucky you were walking out of the hospital when the abruption burst. Otherwise you both may not have made it. The full 50pc fetal death rate from PlacAb happens in exactly this sort of case where it's too late if you are any further from help than you were. Your story is similar to at least 2 of the other ladies in the PlacAb thread who were also just walking out from appts when the same happened to them. Dramatic stuff.

I was one of the people also who was told my abruption was healing and resorbing, then bleeding and worsening. At it's worst (most of my pg ~it was discovered at 22w), the abruption clot was 11.5 x 6.5cm, causing 80pc of the placenta to be dysfunctional. You can read the details of my story in the abruption thread.

You are so right about being on tenterhooks to see how her brain turns out ~ at least you had the steroids to mature her lungs; it makes a BIG difference, and without those she may have had lung disease or be on oxygen for life. I'll write more a bit later. Hope your DD is doing well now.

Cheers, Mich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone I am new here and this is my first post.

All 3 of my boys were early. Still no idea why there is nothing wrong with me physically, maybe they were just too excited to meet me.

DS 1 now 13 was born at 35 weeks 2.6 kgs in special care for 10 days.

DS 2 now 8 was born at 28 weeks 1.3 kgs in NICU for 2 weeks then special care nursery for 5 weeks. He was my first c-section as I had infection in all 3 vessels of the umbilical cord and uterus his heart rate was skyrocketing to just over 200 by the time he was delivered. We found out when he was 2 and a half that he has cerebral palsy only mild thank god he walks and talks but has muscle issues in lower legs and has trouble putting weight on, he weighs about 21 kgs now.

DS 3 now 6 was born at 30 weeks at 1.4 kgs spent 2 weeks in NICU and then 7 weeks in special care nursery. He would have been home earlier as he was doing so well but an intern nurse did not check his feeding tube 2 days after he was taken out of incubator she filled his lungs with milk and he had to go back on oxygen. He wheezed like an old man with emphysema for the first 18 months of his life until his lungs had healed, silly woman reduced him to 30% capacity. He has had his bouts of croup is still quite susceptible to it even at 6 but is doing well.

I am hoping that the next couple we plan on having dont come early but if they do I am well prepared and know I can cope with anything.