+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had dd at 35 weeks, she was 2.2kg and 49 cm. we were in hospital for 4 days...she was admitted, only because she was under 36 weeks, but didnt have to go to special care. She was under blue light thingo for one night (they put it in my room - not cool)

Reading these above post either makes me realise I very lucky that dd wasnt in for long.. but then makes me think maybe she should of been admitted to special car or stayed in hospital for longer :/

Hope all goes well & Goodluck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Nat11, 2.6 is an amazing weight for a 34wker!

I often think some prems/small bubs come home too quick, and thank god we're not similar to the USA, where they send you home with feeding tubes, oxygen concentrators, even Biliblankets for jaundice. They rarely end up breastfeeding, as is common for prem bubs here, and have frequent return hosp stays. The other day I heard of a bub that went back to hosp after stopping breathing, turning blue, etc. She was on a monitor, and oxygen, but none of that helps Mum and Dad if bub stops breathing. If you watch 'Make Room for Multiples' on cable telly, you often see parents happy their bubs are home, but so stressed trying to provide a hosp environment and wishing bubs was back in hospital receiving proper care. It's truly horrid and I'm so grateful they get such good care here in Oz. No-one with a prem deserves the extra stress of trying to look after complex health needs at home, basically being a NICU nurse and mummy/daddy. I also feel for mums and dads who live far, far from a hosp with NICU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey 2girls1angelboy, you'll have to change that now...to three girls! Just noticed your signature change and that your bub stayed in till 34.4 ~ woohoo! You made it past 32! How is she? It's been 6wks, are you home yet? Please let us know how it went and how you and bubs are doing. Cheers!

Ps. Mine was 34+5. How big/small was your little muffin?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

tayasmummy  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hey Nat11, 2.6 is an amazing weight for a 34wker!

I often think some prems/small bubs come home too quick, and thank god we're not similar to the USA, where they send you home with feeding tubes, oxygen concentrators, even Biliblankets for jaundice. They rarely end up breastfeeding, as is common for prem bubs here, and have frequent return hosp stays. The other day I heard of a bub that went back to hosp after stopping breathing, turning blue, etc. She was on a monitor, and oxygen, but none of that helps Mum and Dad if bub stops breathing. If you watch 'Make Room for Multiples' on cable telly, you often see parents happy their bubs are home, but so stressed trying to provide a hosp environment and wishing bubs was back in hospital receiving proper care. It's truly horrid and I'm so grateful they get such good care here in Oz. No-one with a prem deserves the extra stress of trying to look after complex health needs at home, basically being a NICU nurse and mummy/daddy. I also feel for mums and dads who live far, far from a hosp with NICU.

I was suprised DD was sent home so soon! I found it stressful and very daunting having such a small bubba at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl was born in November last year at 31+2, 42cm and 1.78kg (perfect for her gestation). She was born spontaneously with no health issues, however developed a perforation in her colon and had emergency surgery at 3 days old.

She was rushed to Mater Mothers for the surgery and spent 11 days in critical care. Was then transferred back to Gold Coast Hospital and spent a further 3 weeks in SCN. She came home at 36 weeks, as soon as she could handle full suck feeds (was less than 2.5kg). When I stayed in the Maternity Ward overnight before bringing her home, she was the smallest baby by far, in there!

She had a further four days in the Mater at 2 weeks corrected when she had to undergo followup surgery, but we haven't looked back since!
    Apart from the colon surgery, Seraya's had no health problems at all (not even a cold!) and is reaching almost all milestones at her actual age, rather than her corrected age.

We think of her as our little miracle baby and I love hearing of other premie success stories!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jemleevan, a perforated colon ~ that must have been a shock! Glad she recovered so well. We're constantly amazed at the health of our little boy (story above, somewhere), he was the same size as your Seraya! Was born at 34+5, though I was told he'd be the size of a 31-32w bub. He's had not so much as a cold, either! A blocked tear duct is the worst he's had. He also reaches most of his milestones early ~ is 8.5m corrected now, and has over ten words under his belt (frequently says 'hello mum-mum' ~2 word sentences at this age!).

Ialso think premmies are incredible and love hearing and reading all the stories. Happy Mothers' Day to all the Mum's of premmies in here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My TnT was born at 31+1 he was 3pound 8 or 1.766kgs born, I had spent 11weeks confined to a hospital bed to spend a further 6weeks in hospital, 5 of them in RPA NICU and another week in Wollongong NICU......but now....he will be 4 in October and is about 100cm and in a size 12 shoe, so he has well and truly made up for it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my little man was born at 36 weeks 4 weeks eary

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little man was born at 35+4 and weighed in at 2810g or 6p3o. I was surprised and the hospital staff even more so! My waters broke early and he was born via emmergency CS. Besides low glucose levels and a poor sucking action he was perfect. But still stayed in special care for 2.5 weeks until he could feed without the tube.
    It was hard to begin with, but listening to the special care nurses was the best thing. They know what they're doing and can be quite helpful in other areas. We had a couple of lactaction consultant qualified nurses so made our extra time in the hospital very informative too.
    Also take each day as it comes, and don't expect too much too quickly. They can turn corners very quickly but also have slow days too. They will do things when they're ready and it's the surprise when the nurses say one day "bub can go home tomorrow" that will be an awesome feeling!
    My little man is nearly 16 months now and is above average in growth milestones and people seem shocked to hear he was that early!
    I hope things go well and bub stays in there as long as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was born at 28+4 via emergency cesarean due to sudden onset of Eclampsia and Hellp Syndrome.

She was in ICN1, then ICN2 and finally special care; altogether in hospital for 9w and 1d.

She came home last Thursday (37+5) and weighs 2.5kg (was 830g born). She's been very lucky and hasn't really had any issues besides jaundice on day three and a blood transfusion from low iron/turnover of blood cells.

Is doing very well at home and everyone comments on what a doll she looks like! She's just too precious.