Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Shelters for young parents? *urgent*

One of my younger sister's friends {age 16, almost 17 I think} has accidently gotten pregnant and needs some help.

From what I'm understanding, she 'did it' once with protection, got pregnant, confirmed by doctor and everything, and she's decided that she's getting a termination.
    However, her mother {dad died years ago, it's only her, her older sister and their mum living at home} told her that if she doesn't keep the baby, she's going to kick her out of home.

The girl is in hysterics, she doesn't want a child at all.
    Mum is apparently distressing her by referring to the baby as "your future child", taking her out to look at baby things, buying her pregnancy vitamins and giving her pregnancy advice.

I don't know the legal road with this and I have no idea what to say.

She's calling my sister at all hours crying and asking her to tell her mum to stop talking about the baby and my sister has no idea what to do except to ask me for help. And I have no idea what to do!

Are there any shelters or groups that take in underage pregnant girls and give them a place to stay for a bit?
    Can she legally get a termination without parental consent?
    What happens if she is kicked out?

The parents of the boyfriend have said that she could stay with them if she was going to school or working a job. She's willing to do this, but I'm not even sure if that's legal, for two 16 year olds to live together.

I will add again, she has said that she does NOT want to keep the baby, not even for adoption. Please remember this if replying, I cannot give her advice on adoption procedures and I will not give her pro-life speeches. She's very young and already very scared by the sounds of it.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what state is she in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no parental consent is needed at this age for termination - find a good counsellor and work out what she really wants, very young is not really an excuse anymore

also living with boyfriends parents, legal who is going to know

not sure if in Melb or where but if she makes an appointment with a women's hospital they will insure she gets all the help resources she needs now and in the future

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just checked out your profile so assuming she in VIC, if so

http://www.fpv.org.au/

I have been to this clinic when I was younger - they were wonderful and supportive. I would suggest contacting them, they can provide councelling and support in regardess to the pregnancy, STI checks, future contraception etc etc.

If they are not able to help with the accomodation/safety side of things they should be able to point in the right direction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    what state is she in?
    Vic at the moment but the family is making plans to move up to Queensland early this year

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure at 16 you have medical rights. Not 100% though.

Also, if she were to move in with the BF's parents, it's not illegal etc. if she was kicked out of home she could live with whatever she wants. So I don't see the problem here.

If she can get her stuff together and go to the BF's house, I'd be telling her to do that asap. As long as his parents are going to support their decision re: termination etc.

I can't help with the shelter thing though. Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay thank you I'll send that along and I'll do some reading up tonight to see if there's anything else that can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Want to add that the boyfriend's parents said they'd pay for half of the abortion

I was sure you couldn't get an abortion without parental consent before age 18?

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As Buttoneska said, Family planning Vic is brilliant. My GP works part time there, part time at the clinic I see her at and she is wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Umm Im not sure about being 18, I had a friend in highschool who had an abortion very young. Noone ever told her parents.

Another friends mum took her in so I am not sure if she pretended to be her mother or noone asked?

FTR - she was 14