+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fussing after letdown - suggestions please!!

My DS is now 4mths and just these past few days has been fussing at the breast after the initial letdown has finished (so assume once milk slows down). He doesn't do it every feed, usually only afternoons, but today it was also the morning.

History - we comp fed for over 2mths due to failing to thrive, low supply (now on meds) and a tongue-tie that has resulted in a lazy/poor sucker.

Whilst I had no choice, I know by having to give 4-5 top-up bottles each day that this could become an issue for us. He now knows how easy it is to drink from a bottle (EBM or formula) so I think is fussing when tired, knowing I'll get a bottle out for him.

I REALLY wanted to last at least 6mths b/f, so if anyone has any advice at all as to how I can stop this vicious cycle from continuing downhill I'd greatly appreciate it. I know the more bottles I give the worse it gets, but I can't afford to let him lose any more weight again

Thanks in advance.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Focus on spending a few days just offering as many opportunities for him to bf as possible, co-sleeping would help too.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (01-01-2012),Pesca77  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can do breast compressions when bub starts to get fussy to help motivate him to keep sucking.

How often does he breastfeed? How often does he have a top up bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    You can do breast compressions when bub starts to get fussy to help motivate him to keep sucking.

How often does he breastfeed? How often does he have a top up bottle?
    I do compressions which usually gives me an extra 1-2mins but that's it. I demand feed and it's usually 6-8 times per day. We were down to 1 bottle a day until these past few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 months is a time when many mums worry about their supply and ability to feed. Baby is often becoming more aware of their surroundings and are more easily distractable.

Another thing that i did at around this age, when bub was getting fussy at the breast, was change sides more often. So, i would start on right side and then if bub was getting fussy, change to left and alternate as many times as needed.

Changing location or position can also help if bub is getting distracted.

Don't feel bad about your supp feeding, bub has to be fed and you did what you needed to do at the time.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    how about changing teats, so he has to work for the bottle too? We also kept DDs bottles as low a flow rate as possible (She also had trouble feeding)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    how about changing teats, so he has to work for the bottle too? We also kept DDs bottles as low a flow rate as possible (She also had trouble feeding)
    Thanks - I currently have the wide Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature and also Medela Calm, both the slow teats still. Both are supposed to be good with breastfeeding. Any others perhaps I should try?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    4 months is a time when many mums worry about their supply and ability to feed. Baby is often becoming more aware of their surroundings and are more easily distractable.

Thank-you - this is definitely true for us too, he gets easily distracted now. He sometimes pulls back to look at someone, but still has my nipple in his mouth - OUCH!!

Ok so I'll try feeding in a quiet room on our own as often as possible and see how that goes thanks. I already change sides often each feed but that doesn't last long unfortunately.

Thanks again and happy new year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my daughter starts fussing and refuses to feed I swaddle her up and get her ready for bed. When she is nice and calm and getting a little sleepy I will lay down and feed her on the bed while she is still swaddled. Also changing sides when he starts to fuss may help.
    They do go through fussy periods and a lot of the time it may be due to a growth spurt and them wanting more milk. When this happens to me I get DD on the boob as often as possible to try and boost my supply. It may take 1-2 days but it works

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pixiemum2 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (01-01-2012)