+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unsettled 6 month old

DS has been an amazing sleeper.. Until this week. Normally he goes to bed at 7pm and waked up at 7am without hearing a peep from him overnight. It's all changed this week. He's up at every hour and he cries and cries and cries. I go in there to give him a cuddle, he then stops when he's in my arms or if I'm patting his bum in the cot but as soon as I walk out & close the door behind me, he starts crying again. He had a fever yesterday but today he hasn't had a fever all day. His first teeth have already cut through so could it still be teething?

Any suggestions? How can I settle him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Natty, it could still be teething but I've found with dd that I 'know' when she's teething as it's a very painful cry.Could he be hungry or have eaten something new that he's allergic to? Maybe he has separation anxiety? It's very normal and it's when baby realises that you can leave or soemthing along those lines.When dd has those days I just take her into bed with me and cuddle her and usually we both get a bit more sleep that way. I usually try panadol though too if I think she has a pain of some sort and usually it helps.

Sorry I have no magic answers but I hope he feels better soon and that you are looking after yourself too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've introduced him to corn.... Could that be it? I'm so confused and it's such a shock to my system! I don't know what to do! I can't bring him into bed with us because there is no way he'd sleep with us. He doesn't even like to be held for long so that's not an option.
    Could it be separation anxiety? I've noticed that when I pop him down on the floor so I can go make him a bottle or something, he gets upset when I put him down... But then again, he fell asleep on his own tonight. I put him to bed at 7 and he went straight to sleep.
    I'm blabbering. I'm just so confused and kind of freaking out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be him having his solids at 5:30? Maybe I should try giving it to him earlier.

Suggestions please = D or tell me it's normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many things it could be but my first guess would be teething. Try giving some paracetamol or nurofen the first time he wakes. If its teething that should make a big difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Natty, I just posted a big reply and lost it- waaaaaaaahhhh!

Anyway back to you... I really have no idea but it could be both the separation anxiety and maybe the corn isn't agreeing with him too. With the separation anxiety, any chance you could put a tshirt that you've worn in the cot with him? I've done that when dd has been having trouble getting to sleep and cuddles etc haven't worked. Sometimes she'd just snuggle into it and nod off Other than that I have no idea hun but hopefully it's a one off and he's back to normal soon

hope ypou get a decent nights sleep or that your dh can help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Cakey! You're the greatest xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Natty has he had a runny or blocked nose. You mentioned a temperature. Our little man had a slightly runny nose a week ago and I just put it down to teething initially but then we realised he had gotten a cold and his nose got worse and he was all blocked up. He was doing the same thing as your ds during the night and was not happy during the day either, a little wingy which is not like him at all. He only seemed to get relief when I cuddled him and he was sitting up slightly - it must have helped him to breathe easier. We gave him some panadol and raised one end of his bed slightly which helped him sleep as he wasnt as congested. Our ds seems to be on the mend now.

I hope he is feeling better and you all have a restfull night.
    Last edited by Johnny Poppers; 02-01-2012 at 20:58. Reason: sp

Thanks
    Reviews
    He seems to be doing the same thing.. Whenever we hold him up, he puts his head on our shoulder & just rests... He's not a cuddly baby at all so this is unusual behavior for us lol
    His nose doesn't seem to be runny either. He keeps sneezing though... I might take him to the docs today and see what she says... She'll most likely tell me "he's a baby. They cry." Yes, I'm aware of that, but something is quite not right.

Do babies cry once they start rolling around in bed? Could he be freaking out to find himself on his belly in the dark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes to what you just said! As soon as my DS started rolling he would roll onto his belly after every cycle during the night and cry cos he couldn't get back onto his back.

Maybe sleep in his room for one night so you can here what's going on? DS sleeps in my room so I could always hear what was upsetting him - makes it soooo mcuh easier!