+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dog and his business!!!!

Does anyone know how I can get my dog to do his business in a certain part of the backyard???

We have a German Shepard and he loves to go to the toilet right near the kids swing set. I do a poo patrol before the kids go out to play but I hate the thought of the kids running around and falling over right where the dog has gone to the toilet!

I was thinking maybe I could dilute some citronella and then poor it on the grass but I don't think that would work and I don't think the grass would like it very much either!!!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is probably not too helpful but have you tried lemon juice or something like that there? Apparently they don't like that (your citronella idea was good). You can buy pet odour remover stuff (I've used it on carpet when our dog has done business inside). It gets rid of smell so they're not attracted to that spot but not sure if it would work outside. You can also buy sprays that attract them to a spot. Though not sure about outside!!! Sorry I'm not more helpful! Short of taking your dog out for a walk when they need to go I'm not sure what best option is!! Good luck! (we actually have a doggie toilet thing that has fake grass etc on it and trained our dog to go on that).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, your post made me a little bit sad as we just lost our German Shepherd 10 days before DS was born.....heartbreaking

Anyway....you can actually buy stuff at Bunnings that you can spray in spots you DON'T want the dog to do his business which really works. This may be easier than trying to 'train an old dog new tricks'!!

Otherwise try going out to the toilet with the dog for awhile and encouraging them to go in that spot - give a reward each time he does and perhaps he may learn??

Good luck

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Next time you take the dog out, keep it on a loose leash. Section off an area that is appropriate for the poo, and when you reach that spot, wait until he does his business.

The SECOND he squats, say "Go toilet!" and if he eliminates, praise.
    Every single time he's let out to the toilet, it's leash on, over to that spot, give the marker command "Go toilet!" and then praise when the deed is being done.

When the business is over, give a treat like a dried liver snack and praise.

For a week or two repeat this. Don't let the dog out unless it's on a loose leash.

They pick up very quickly where they should go, especially an obedience driven breed like a Shepherd.
    I've trained my Great Dane to poo in a specially dug hole. I dig a new hole every week, and at the end of the week I simply cover it over and dig a new one. Simple!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, it's called Scedaddle, or something like that! It is in a granular form.

Secondly, I would scoop some of his poop and put it where you want him to poop. They use smell to tell them where to poo and pee, which is why they end up doing it in the same spot. If you have time, keep him locked up until poop time (they do it the same time every day, you will know) and then take him out on the lead. Take him to the area that you want him to poop, where you have already laid the previous poop, and let him sniff it. He will get the idea.

edited to add:
    Must have been typing at the same time! Yep , I was trying to say what ^ said, but in a more user friendly way. choose your own trigger word. My dogs are not THAT severely trained, but when I need them to wee and poo, they do...otherwise they just do it in the yard...but they have lots of room...

edited again to add:
    Oh, I once heard a story about a dog that was trained to poop on a shovel which was placed next to the wheelie bin, and the owners just came along once a day and threw it in...:/
    Last edited by blackdog; 30-12-2011 at 20:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha some of that advice is sooo funny and way off!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could make the area where you don't want him to go appealing for other reasons - scatter some treats or dry dog food in the grass and let him have fun sniffing it out. If you do it fairly regularly he may decide he doesn't want to poo where he eats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Firstly, your post made me a little bit sad as we just lost our German Shepherd 10 days before DS was born.....heartbreaking
    So sorry to hear about your dog!!!

The taking him out on a leash thing sounds like a great idea but unfortunately we are not home during the day and as he is left outside whilst we are not home he just goes where ever he wants. He is really well trained and will go on command when we take him out of an evening/night it's just getting him to go in the same spot whilst we are not out there with him!

I think that bunnings will have to be the first port of call and see what they have as the granules on the grass seems like the best thing that is going to work with us not being home during the day. I'm also going to try getting him to go where I want him to do it when we take him out of an evening.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can buy hot spot training spray stuff that helps them find that area really appealing for toiletting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alisonc View Post
    Haha some of that advice is sooo funny and way off!!!
    Very helpful...thanks for that input