+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We're expecting bub #2 in May. Ive been really trying to get DD (2.2 yrs) really interested in new babies and what is in my tummy. Lately she has been waving, kissing my tummy and asking what name we have for the baby.
    My friend said to me to always make sure the toddler is sorted first. A baby can cry a little longer why you get toddler sorted with food, books, etc. And always have good healthy snack foods ready to go like cut up fresh fruit/carrot/celery, yogurts, cheese and biscuits, etc. If your partner goes to work and makes his own lunch, he could possibly make a sandwich for your toddler for her lunch too. Sorted! One less thing for you to worry about.
    I keep telling myself to try not to stress too much. Sure, it will be hard a first to get into a routine, but the good news is, it wont be forever!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-12-2011)

boysrgr8 is offline living with a constant look of OMG!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A sling. It was great when needing to do things for #1 and #2 needed me, so much easier then having either one cry.

I second the box of one handed activities for you to do with your first child. I found my young man would take the opportunity to be cheeky and do things he shouldn't, like draw on the floor during feeds.

We had a rocker so if I needed to shower I would put #2 in the rocker in the bathroom, and have a quick wash, same with the toilet.

Lots of attention and praise for #1. There are a lot of changes, so even though he is cruisy, it is easy to forget to praise his awesomeness in the busy day.

Platters are great for snack time.

Enjoy it. It does take time for adjustments, but they will become normal life, full of joy, love and laughter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to boysrgr8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Subscribing and adding a question.

How did you handle bed times? Jasper's bed time routine is lovely and I want to keep it the same. How did you settle a newborn & a toddler to bed and was it possible to not interrupt that special one-on-one time with the toddler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! Great idea for a thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Subscribing and adding a question.

How did you handle bed times? Jasper's bed time routine is lovely and I want to keep it the same. How did you settle a newborn & a toddler to bed and was it possible to not interrupt that special one-on-one time with the toddler?
    For me, the newborn and toddler never went to bed at the same time, as we all know newborns beat to their own drums , so one of us would settle or have the newborn, whilst the other did the usual bedtime routine with the toddler. In my case I would nearly always have the newborn because I demand fed and it made more sense for DH to settle the toddler. If we were both busy and the newborn wasn't feeding or ready to settle, I would put the newborn in a sling or wrap or her papasun swing and tend to the toddler.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

boysrgr8 is offline living with a constant look of OMG!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did the same as Uniquey. I was lucky and it was usually the babe that went to bed first so I was available to do the bed routine with DS1.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to boysrgr8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    it's the only thing that's worrying me. (I'm sure there's probably way bigger things I'm not worrying about and should be.... Lol)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    it's the only thing that's worrying me. (I'm sure there's probably way bigger things I'm not worrying about and should be.... Lol)
    Totally understandable to worry about the unknown , and best to at least think about these things before no 2 comes along and you're not tired and learning to care for two kids at the same time. Of course like anything, you need to be flexible, as you never know what will happen, you may luck out and have a very contented little newborn which makes the transition from one to two easy, or you may have an unsettled, colicky bub, that may need more attention from you than that of a more contented/settle baby. It all works out in the wash, you will soon discover what does and doesn't work with you pair and then you can just go from there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. What excellent advice all you experienced ladies have to share

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is why I love BH, so many helpful people out there with wonderful suggestions! Thanks again everyone

ktfierce
    - Great idea on putting things at DS's level so he can help. I think he would enjoy that, so would be helpful for him to be able to get to things for me!! And LOL at the thought of DS amusing Bubs! He's already pretty damn cute, but that will be even cuter!

higgleandgoot - already got the independent play down. He has always been super independent, so have been fostering that a bit more lately thinking it would be helpful. Just have to work on getting him to come to me when he is upset instead of dropping to the floor and crying! Not doing so good on that one! Good to hear you didn't have any jealousy issues - do you think it was just your DS's personality or something you did to help him not be jealous?

jazzy baby - We've been doing the same.It's so cute when they kiss your belly isn't it? We normally do a bulk run of sandwiches for DH on the weekends, so will add some sanga's in for when baby comes. DS loves toasties, so that should be easy to manage I hope!

boysrgr8 - Any sling in particular? We've been given an Ergo which friends have and love. We had a Baby Bjorn for DS, but DH used it more than me. I just used to hold him at home or pram when we were out as he was happy that way. But I can see that if bubs is unsettled, that I'm not going to just be able to sit there for hours holding her looking at her like I did with DS, so would the Ergo do, or would a sling be a good investment too? LOL at your DS drawing on the floor. My DS does that too - but I'm a mean Mummy (we rent) and he is only allowed chalk unless we are drawing together! Then I get the crayons out And yes, I must remember to praise him as much as I do now. That is one thing I am a little worried about - not having as much time with him, but I am just going to have to carve out time for him. After all, it's not like I can sleep every time the baby does like I did with him, so we should have a fair bit of time together still I hope! And hopefully they will both sleep at the same time so I can too

Boobycino - Oh gawd. I hadn't even thought about nap/sleep times! DH will be here at night, but I hadn't even thought about naps being an issue if baby is crying etc! Luckily DS goes to sleep well, and has a set time (he's a routine child, made his own and loves it) so hopefully bubs will be happy at 1pm so I can put him down as usual!!