+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tips on going from 1 to 2.

So the arrival of our DD is roughly 12 weeks away. So what are your best tips on going from 1 to 2?

I am hoping DS (2 and a half years by the time she gets here) will be fine with her. Two friends have had babies in the last 6 months and he hasn't shown any jealousy when I have held them, just very interested in the baby, but it's different to Mummy having a hold to suddenly a baby being here all the time!

So what are your best tips for me? Whether they be how to introduce DS, to things to do at home to make those first few weeks easier. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have heard that boys seem a lot more nonchalant about a new sibling when they've previously been numero uno than girls and I am starting to believe it, as I had the worse time with my 2.5 year old daughter with jealousy of her newborn sister, whereas all my friends who've had sons and the pre school teacher told me boys just don't seem as fazed? Hopefully this will be the case for you!

Some tips I have are, (if you're breastfeeding) make sure you have a little book and activity tub so that your son can keep occupied whilst you breastfeed.

Read to your son whilst you breastfeed.

In the evening my DH used to make my daughter and I lunch for the next day (for example, lebanese wraps with meat and salad) for me and little platters for my daughter. This helped immensely on those days where you are putting one foot in front of the other, or your newborn is a bit unsettled.

If possible, try and take your son out on one on one Mummy and son outings, even if it's to the shop for bread.

A lot of people seem to give child no 1 a gift when they're gifting your baby, this was always a nice touch.

Go shopping with your son for a special 'present' for his new baby sister and have him bring it up to the Hospital to give to baby.

Have your son think he's a very important 'helper' by helping you with the baby such as bringing you a nappy etc.

All the best!
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 30-12-2011 at 16:44. Reason: typo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Invest in a slow cooker if you don't already have one! Meant I could serve dinner at any time, or eat later than everyone and it would still be warm and I could prepare dinner in the morning when it was the easiest.

Re the 2 kids- a double pram was great (3yr age gap). Getting out for a walk every day kept me sane. Get your DD used to noise from early on with sleeping, you just can't get a toddler to keep quiet (and nor should they have to!). And make a safe place (maybe a play pen) where you can leave DD when you need to (when you need to go to toilet!). My DS tried to pick up DD when I went to the toilet once, luckily she wasn't hurt and he was only trying to be helpful because she was crying but I learnt the "safe place" lesson the hard way.

Good luck, exciting times ahead for you!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks Uniquey and Cub.

My DS loves to help with washing and dishes now, so I am hoping he will enjoy helping with the baby to make him feel involved. And he loves reading, so that should be a help too. Like the activity tub suggestion. That will be very handy! And I hope you are right about boys! He's a very easy going little guy, so not expecting any problems, but these 2 and a bit year olds are known for changing without warning, so best to be prepared!!

I already have a slow cooker and thermomix so hopefully dinners will be easy. Definitely getting a double pram (not sure what, but it's on my list!) and great suggestion of a "safe" place. Port a cot could be useful there

Going to try to do a cook up before she comes, and DH will be home for 3-4 weeks so that will be a big help too.

Fantastic suggestions so far, keep them coming!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

LimeGiraffe  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    These are great ideas. I'm subscribing as I will be in the same shoes in August x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing too

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory some life savers were:
    Pre-prepared snacks and drinks for DS while breastfeeding.
    Toddler safe activities to do without supervision. ( books, crayons, blocks- Nothing that mummy needs to help with)
    Definitely a safe place for bubba when mummy needs toilet or shower!!
    We had a nappy , wipe, cream, bin- helper system. My DS would pass me necessary items he loved helping out.
    I put all baby blankets, bibs and burp cloths where DS could reach them that way if I asked for something he could get it!! Works as great distraction too.
    One on one time with mummy while baby is sleeping
    Oh and this is just something that will come with time but there is nothing more amusing to a bubba then their older sibling singing/ laughing and making strange noises at them Mummy gets a timeout and happy kids!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktfierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh this is a great thread! subscribing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cook when you can, eat when you can, go to bed earlyish, if you'd like to.. encourage independent play before bub arrives.
    To be honest, it's hard. But things work out! It gets so much easier after those first few months. Mine were a bit of a blur tbh, lol. So try to enjoy it. I wish I relaxed(when it came to most things) a bit more.
    I rested when I could. Even if it was just watching tv with DS, or sitting on the lounge reading with him whilst DD slept. I never had many issues with DS and jealousy, but we have had a few things happen(nothing major) Oh, and take care of yourself when you get the chance.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to higgleandgoot For This Useful Post: