+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ugh New job issues, please tell me if this is right!!!

I just started a new job and i have worked there for 2 weeks. I needed a police check cause mine had just run out so i applied for it on my interview day. I worked right through xmas and now they are telling me that i am not going to get paid until my police check comes through, then they will back pay me. Is that legal? I travel an hour to work and home so petrol is depleting our money and i honestly dont know when my police check will come true, so at the moment im paying out for fuel and not getting paid to work (until my police check clears)Ugh does anyone know how long it will take, i applied on the 19th Dec, and i guess it will take longer due to public holidays, or is there a number i can call to see if its been lodged.... I cant believe that they wont pay me yet but they are still giving me work. I love my job but really have nothing to look forward too, at the moment i feel like i am volunteering..Thanks for reading ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That doesn't sound right at all to me. But I don't know. What are your job options? Can you look for an alternative job?

My police check took months. There was a screw up on the paper work though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should just be able to go into the police station with your ID and get a copy of your police check yourself. Then take that to work and don't worry about waiting for them to get off their buts.

Mother of two teens ttc #3 <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am pretty sure they HAVE to pay you, I have worked in an industry that requires a police check I was employed by three separate agencies aged care, disability support and child care all paid positions and had to wait for my police check and was still paid by all organization before my check came through

I think they are just procrastinating paying you, seriously if it were a concern they just would not give you work until it came through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it a big corporation and you jut work for the branch? They should not be employing you with out the check... find a way you can to get them in trouble with their superiors and pull that card if you have to. They have obviously used you to cover shifts over the holidays. Stand up to them, they will either sack you, which you will probably be better off by the sounds of things, or respect you for it and pay you.

Good luck

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Seems a bit strange to me. If your employment with them is contingent on a police check, they should have pushed back your start date until it came through. It seems wrong to with hold pay but are prepared to have you working in that roll.

Maybe call fairwork and see what they say.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That doesn't sound right to me either. If your police check was out of date, you shouldn't have been able to work. If they allowed you to work without it, they should pay you without it.

It makes me think that if you happen to have something on your police check that makes you ineligible for the job, they won't pay you at all. I'm not saying that you would have a criminal offence there, more like your new employer figured that if you don't work out, they might get some freebie work done at a time of year other staff want time off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Technically you shouldn't have even started work with them until the check had come back.

It is really wrong of them and sounds like they have used you as a fill in for the Christmas/NY period

I'd be putting my foot down firmly if I were you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    That doesn't sound right to me either. If your police check was out of date, you shouldn't have been able to work. If they allowed you to work without it, they should pay you without it.
    I agree with this. Sounds like they are taking advantage of you.

From memory, my check took about 6 weeks and I got paid while we waited for it to come through.

Ring the Union or Ombudsmen to get some info and back up first and then tell them what you have found out and then tell them that until you get paid, you are not available to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My police check took longer then a month.

I'm pretty sure they have to pay you or wait for you to start work once you have the police check.