+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Pre -eclampsia :/

Hi all,

I am currently 26 weeks, I only seen my doctor very recently and I noticed my blood pressure was higher than normal (110/60 - 121/76).

He said it was perfect and everything was going well.

Now Im not sure if I have over educated myself on the risks(being bub number 1). But i am so so worried about pre-eclampsia, I have also noticed my fingers are swollen today, it is summer over here and quite hot and me stressing isnt probably helping,

I am just looking for some advice as my next app isnt for another 4 weeks :/ and i dont want to be running up to the doctors every week lol

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    My blood pressure started going high around 25 weeks. I was put on meds at 30 weeks which helped a bit but it was still high and I had a few hosp stays because of it. I started to get preclampsia at 35 weeks, my son had to be born at 36 + 4 weeks due to this and other medical reasons not to do with preclampsia.
    The symptoms of high BP for me were seeing stars, swollen nose and hands, dizzy and I felt really sick and un well. If you get any of this or are just worried you can go to the chemist an they will check your BP for free. You can go as often as you like, I had to go every day and lucky I did because they sent me to hosp a few times as my BP was really high. Some people don't get any symptoms of high BP so if you are worried go get it checked.
    High BP doesn't always lead to Preclampsia it can be managed well with meds lots of ppl get high BP during pregnancy and never get it. Also some times ppl get what's called white coat syndrome where their BP rises while at the docs due to stress but goes straight back down once they leave the docs. Good luck with your pregnancy and remember never feel silly or bad for going to the doc or chemist if you are worried you know your own body and it's always better to be safe then sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your blood pressure seems fairly normal.

I was told that it's the second number that is of more concern, so if this gets closer to 100 then your doctor will probably start to worry.

As mentioned by PP, symptoms to look out for is light headedness, visual impacts (blurryness, seeing spots etc), swolleness, and any pain at the top of your stomach.

You can also purchase a blood pressure machine if you wanted to keep track of your BP yourself.

I was diagnosed with Pre-eclampsia at 40+2, when my BP reached 150/95 and I had protein in my urine. Previous to that appointment my blood pressure was around 130/80 with no trace of protein.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sure if the doc was concerned he would have said so.

I developed Pre-Eclampsia at about 26-28 weeks with DD1. I was hospitalized immediately and they were looking at inducing me then and there. Thankfully they decided to admit me and monitor me on complete bed rest for a few days first to see if it dropped, which it did. They allowed me to go home on the condition I stayed on bed rest... Didn't happen. The following week the same thing happened. Was again kept in for monitoring and inducing me was discussed again. They let me go home but I had to go to hospital every 2nd day for monitoring. At it's worst, my feet were that swollen I couldn't walk, and had to have my ugh boots (which were normally very loose on me) cut off because I was that swollen I couldn't get them off. My face and hands were not much better. I saw stars, had headaches and was dizzy. They finally made the decision to induce me only for me to go into labour spontaneously. They ended up having to give me an epidural to try to bring my blood pressure down because it had skyrocketed. If that didn't work I was to have an emergency c-section. Thankfully it brought it down enough that I avoided the c-section.

If you are at all concerned, talk to your doctor. But if he thinks there is nothing to be concerned about then try not to stress

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told that it's the second number that is of more concern, so if this gets closer to 100 then your doctor will probably start to worry.
    This.

My bp got to 130/95 and I was hospitalised. Never developed PE though. It's good that you are aware of it though. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    your bp sounds fine to me, i had a small spike like yours with ds and the doctor sent my urine off for testing and all came back fine.
    pre eclampsia is usually a bigger jump than yours, there can be other reasons for your bp being slightly higher other than PE.

in saying that i am not a doctor just going on my experience.

can you get your bp retested somewhere? gp or something?

fingers crossed for you not having PE. XO

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's normal to get swelling when pregnant. All my friends who have had babies haven't been able to wear their wedding rings due to swelling and none of them had PE. I was diagnosed with PE at 39+5 and induced straight away due to high blood pressure, protein in urine, headaches, seeing stars and pain above ribs. If you have any of these symptoms it is best to go to the doctors straight away, but I'm sure you'll be fine. I was always worried with my first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told as long as my bp stayed under 140/90 they weren't in the least worried about it but bottom figure more an issue (and I assume over this their reaction would depend on other factors present). I would think that it's probably normal swelling you've got at this stage tho so wouldn't worry.

As mentioned previously the chemist will do your bp for you if you're worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This post has got me freaking..
    I have had pain above my ribs for a few weeks now..today so painful I couldnt sleep! but put it down to normal pains..and sometimes numb. should i be worried about my BP? will check my OB card when i get home to see what it was last now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, your blood pressure is normal, do not waste another second worrying about it!