+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 19.5mth old leaking through nappy at night - help!

Hi everyone,
    just wondering if anyone can help or suggest what has worked for them.

Every now and then my ds would wake up about 9pm or sometimes through the night and have wet through - we make sure now that his thing is facing down not up and that the nappy is on tight. We have recently tried 4 different brands of nappies and use inserts as he is a heavy wetter. Huggies have never fitted him properly as he has a small bottom but Babylove and a factory one seem to be the best for him at night. Wehave tried going up a size a night and this used to work but last 3 nights no matter which nappy he has leaked through. Could it be the insert (nappy mate) causing this?
    We have cut back the amount of milk he has in the hours before bed but doesn't seem to make a difference. He never leaks during the day and at the moment is leaking at 9pm so 2 hours after it being put on.
    Please let me know anythign that has worked for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you maybe try using a cheaper/bigger nappies over the top? Also try some plastic sheeting so his mattress isn't getting ruined.
    I had same problem and switched to Huggies which stopped it but I see they don't fit him well.
    Have you tried changing him through the night and seeing if it still happens?

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I always put my boys in Huggies at night and size up.

DS1 started in cloth nappies until he had a massive sleep one night when he was in a disposable. That is where my love affair with Huggies overnight began. If babylove or the factory brand fit your boy best than go with it.

If you think it may be the liner try a night without it. Follow your gut. If you were using a gender specific brand and your child slept on their back you could try swapping to a girls nappy due to where the absorbency is. Or try a boys only nappy overnight to do where the gel crystal goop is.

Otherwise resign yourself to always needing to change him before you go to bed to help minimize occurrences of leaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and with the tiny bottom thing, I was told that as long as the nappy was well fitted around bub's waist than any extra between leg bulge shouldn't be a concern for overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was the same for a while. She's almost 18 months.

I tried everything you have and then started monitoring how much she was drinking during the day... For a small human, she drinks so much water. So I made sure after 4:30 (so 3.5 hrs before bed) she was only allowed her very small sippy cup and no refills. It has greatly improved!

I'm in no way suggesting dehydrate any child, like I said, DD drinks a lot, probably 700-800 mls of water a day still. I also do not make her drink that much. She often brings her cup to me to refill it.

She is not longer wetting through, but I do find her nappy is almost to overflow stage when she wakes though so may need to now upsize her night time nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone for such quick replies! Can always rely on bub hubbers for advice.
    My son sleeps every which way in bed - he has a sleeping bag but will sleep on tummy, back, on side etc you name it!

I might try putting a second nappy on top - do you just put the next size over? Firstly i might try a few nights without the liner. He seems to be leaking on the side - that's why i thought this bigger sized nappy wasn't the option as maybe it's too big if that makes sense, near the hip/legso it's getting out somehow? then we thought maybe his little member was facing wrongly e.g. if down going to wee straight to the back if up obviously up near belly button - anyone with boys have to check position of member?

he sleeps in one piece outfits as if he wears pjs he wets through at elastic band at the top.

Will trial no line for a few nights and then if still leaking will trial the extra nappy on outside - has been costly last few weeks as we have bought so many diff types and i mostly use cloth during the day.

He is certainly a big liquid consumer - be that milk, water or fruits such as watermelon - trying ot cut him back but hard in this heat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps try an MCN cover (with no inserts) over the disposable? They are water proof so should contain any leaks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ive heard (havent had to try myself) with the double nappy.
    in the smaller nappy (closest to body) pierce thru crotch region with a fork a half dozen times to allow excess to seep thru to outer nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Checking the direction of boy bits is very important. Down and central for even distribution of liquid output.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yuck to a double nappy how hot would that be! My son was doing this for a while, I put him in a lanolized wool cover over his huggies nappy I found it held everything in kept him dry and didn't overheat him they are a little bit expensive but then again if your not using 2 nappies each night then also it's probably that he is seeing so fast and hard that the nappy can't absorb quick enough, have you ever seen a kid swimming in a disposable? Those things can hold gallons