+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Posterior labour vs. "normal" labour?

Just curious if anyone has experienced both and can shed some light on how different they are?

My first and only labour so far was a posterior one. Yeah, it was blody painful but I have nothing to compare it with so the only reason I'd prefer a normal labour next time is so I don't spend 4 months waiting for my tailbone to heal in order to sit properly!

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm subscribing! Had one posterior labour which was bl00dy painful for 24 hrs then had a cesar cause bubs was still not engaged even though I was fully dilated and went into distress. Would hate to go through that again, so I'm seeing a chiro fortnightly and will use OFP during labour.

Good on you to have had a vaginal posterior birth! Even though it took you a while to heal obviously... Good luck with next time - when are you due?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have experienced both and the posterior was a million times more painful - my anterior birth was a walk in the park in comparison (it hurt but it wasn't the 'i feel like i'm dying' type pain that i had with my posterior bub)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've only had posterior (turned right way thankfully, before pushing) but this thread gives me hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I had both plus....

All I can say is each and every labour is different. Funny enough my easiest labour was the face presentation one (where his nose came out first instead of the top of the head), that was born as they were preparing me on the op table for a c/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loads different! Posterior labour is WAY more painful really hurts your lower back. I know some women can push their babies out posterior but i wasn't able to the doc had to reach in and turn my daughter before i could get her out, it was too painful to push through- posterior labour is horrible.

When the baby is in the normal position it is a million times easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had both.
    My first was posterior and I thought my back was going to snap in half!
    He managed to turn himself kinda and I managed to get him out vaginally, his head did come out sideways lol

Ds2 was anterior and was a lot quicker birth and I was able to handle the pain a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow! Thanks all. Luckily my labour was only 4 hours long. Any longer and I think I would have needed more than the ol' happy gas.

Is it due to where the placenta is that causes them to prefer a certain position? I reckon I looked so "small" during pregnancy because he was hiding away against my back.

loop - I'm not due for another 5 years atleast haha! Not pregnant again, just curious

msmummy - DS did the same, came out sideways after turning in the canal (midwife had me on the toilet and all fours to try and turn him fully).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    i have had 3 of each and the posterior is WAY more painful. i found it easier to give birth standing with them.
    I was on my back but the next day I noticed my elbows were completely grazed and scabbing! I remembered then that with every contraction I had been lifting my back off the bed with my elbows to relieve the pain.

I will definitely try standing if it happens again. Or go on all fours, that was fairly comfortable at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a posterior labour with DD. I don't recall ever having any pain in my back - even before the epidural. All of my pain was based in the stomach. I'm not certain where my placenta was positioned either.

Not sure if the epi had any influence on the pushing pain for the back (like you all seem to have had) or not