+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help solve a domestic!

DH was about to use domestos to clean our gas stove top. He was going to squirt it straight on undiluted. I'm convinced this would be a bad idea! Aside from the fumes it would create while he was cleaning it, causing us all to evacuate, I think it would also leave reside that would create fumes when I turned the stove on.

I use bicarb and vinegar on just about everything. I usually only use domestos for the loo.

So what do you think, is domestos an ok stove top cleaner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't use it for the same reasons as you!
    My DH used the toilet brush to scrub the shower once

I think some men (and women mind you) have no idea about cleaning in general, but yeah, I'm with you, I wouldn't use harsh stuff on the stove, isn't domestos basically bleach??

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (30-12-2011)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no idea, we don't use demestos at home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (30-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I wouldn't use it for the same reasons as you!
    My DH used the toilet brush to scrub the shower once

I think some men (and women mind you) have no idea about cleaning in general, but yeah, I'm with you, I wouldn't use harsh stuff on the stove, isn't domestos basically bleach??
    Toilet brush in the shower? That's one case where I WOULD use domestos..lol

Yup, it's bleach. Pretty strong stuff but DH is convinced it's good as a general household cleaner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a HUGE fan of domestos (I've even 'liked' it on FB...sad, I know) but I wouldn't use it on our stove-top as it's stainless steel and I have other cleaning stuff that's specific for that metal.

It might be a bit of an over-reaction to think that you will need to evacuate the house because of fumes. Sure, it will smell (mmmm...lovely domestos bleachy, cleany smell) but there won't be hazardous fumes unless you mix it with something else. If you are particularly worried, do you not have a kitchen expel-fan or windows and doors to open?

I used to use elbow grease, bi-carb and vinegar on my old enamel stove-top and it worked well. A trick that works amazingly on caked-on stove gunk is to dampen a fabric softener sheet (used ones are fine) and leave it draped on the manky build-up overnight. The anti-static properties plus the softener lifts the crud right off the next morning. I re-use my softener sheets a couple of times each in the drier, then recycle them as stove-top overnight cleaners or polishers or pop them in the linen cupboard amongst the towels and sheets to impart the last of their scent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (30-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the whole 'evacuate the house' thing was a bit tongue in cheek, but I am pregnant and the nose is a lil on the sensitive side at the mo, so only a slight exaggeration

I like the damp fabric softener sheet idea though, might have to give that one a try!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (30-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use jiff on our stovetop if ive really given it a good burning (lol Im a very messy cook) otherwise spray and wipe - not domestos....thats a bathroom and tile cleaner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I simply clean the top of our stove top with the dishwashing water after I've washed up and cleaned the benches down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    I simply clean the top of our stove top with the dishwashing water after I've washed up and cleaned the benches down.
    I do the same a spray bottle of water and dishwashing liquid and leave it for a while if it's baked on.

I reckon once you heated the stove it would evaporate the left over bleach residue and stink you out each time you switch it on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Domestos is not a kitchen product if you ask me.

We have stainless steel, so it gets wiped over at night with the dish water, and then about once a moth I use a SS clean and shine spray I have as it helps protect it and makes it easier to clean.

If you have white enamel, domestos could stain it yellow.

And I'm with you on the smell. Not good for us preggo chicks at all.