+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would recommend Wangaratta in NE Vic. We lived there for 3 yrs until this October. It is 3 hrs drive to Melbourne, but doesn't feel heaps far. It's 4 hrs drive to Canberra (where my family live), so you can still visit your friends for a weekend if you want.
    It is super family friendly, though you do have to put a bit of effort in to 'break in' to the community.
    Housing is super cheap. Cost of living is super cheap.
    If you moved there, there are heaps of welcoming new to the area groups.
    Good luck!

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should probably add that both my husband and I have diplomas in Childcare , he would like to stay in the industry, I'm happy to try most jobs that will allow me to work part time . I have good admin skills and a small amount of hospitality experience.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jez, I am also a Diploma Qualified Childcare worker, and have worked in a few different centres in Ballarat (for now I am a full time SAHM). Lots of work here in Childcare.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma Duck View Post
    Jez, I am also a Diploma Qualified Childcare worker, and have worked in a few different centres in Ballarat (for now I am a full time SAHM). Lots of work here in Childcare.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub.
    Thanks mamma duck. I was going to pm you to ask about what employment was like, if there was much available in Childcare etc but my Internet on my phone is slow and buggy.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Albury-Wodonga is another good area. We are 3.5hrs to Canberra and about the same to Melbourne I believe. You can get a beautiful rental for under $300 a week. I currently have a 3 bedroom house with huge yard for $190! Its usually a few degrees warmer then Canberra here (my family is in Canberra so I often keep eye on temp). There is so much to do here and its an easy drive to the Capital cities without the traffic jams

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest on the Hume some where. Easy access to Melbourne or Canberra and just that little bit warmer. I'm out of a town called Euroa in NE Vic. Its a great little town, very family friendly, lots of parks, sports, only 1 childcare centre though.. but Euroa is about 30 mins from Seymour, Shepparton and Benalla which are all decent sized towns.

I own a rental in the middle of town and let it for $260 a week, its a 3 bed, fully renovated, 2 living areas, WIR ensuite to the main bed, lock up shed, carport and large yard. House prices are very affordable and if you are willing to put in some work you will get a good return.

There's heaps around the area too, from wineries to fishing, Mt Buller and Lake Eildon just up the road. Lots and lots of small time food producers that make very very yummy stuff!

Oh its on the train line between Melbourne and Sydney too....

Anyway, I hope you find somewhere that suits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you see a financial adviser first? If you sell your house and move there are loads of costs involved (real estate agents fees, stamp duty, moving costs, enrollment/sign up fees in new areas for everything from swimming lessons/Internet/plumbing etc). You could quite easily be looking at 30,000-70,000 just to set up house elsewhere.

Another thought- given Canberra rental is so crazy - can you rent out your Canberra house (perhaps even semi furnished), and downgrade to a sea or foresrt change rental for a few years just to get you thru being on one income but also paying off the mortgage? Again a financial adviser could point you in the direction of some good tax savings there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Can you see a financial adviser first? If you sell your house and move there are loads of costs involved (real estate agents fees, stamp duty, moving costs, enrollment/sign up fees in new areas for everything from swimming lessons/Internet/plumbing etc). You could quite easily be looking at 30,000-70,000 just to set up house elsewhere.

Another thought- given Canberra rental is so crazy - can you rent out your Canberra house (perhaps even semi furnished), and downgrade to a sea or foresrt change rental for a few years just to get you thru being on one income but also paying off the mortgage? Again a financial adviser could point you in the direction of some good tax savings there.
    Thanks hannaly a lot of good points there. We actually started talking yesterday about renting our house out instead of selling it. The rent we could get would nearly cover the mortgage , we would end up needing ti cover about 150 a fortnight in expenses like whats left of the mortgage, rates and water. Not sure what real estates charge or how it all works with tax but something we want to look into a bit more

Sent from my iPhone