+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Affordable places to live

We are currently living in Canberra and have been on two good incomes . I went back to work full time when DD was just 12 weeks old (had one week off before she was born) and have since been manager of a busy business . We have been TTC number 2 for 18 months and are currently using fertility treatment ( gonal F at this stage). I am burnt out and stressed all the time and have become more and more depressed that I don't get to spend enough time with my DD. so i have quit my job and my last day is actually tomorrow, YAY!!! we have a 350000 mortgage and absolutely cannot afford to live off one wage, even part time work will be a struggle . We are willing sell our house so that we can afford for me ti only have to work 2-3 days per week. BUT our mortgage repayments are not much more than renting in Canberra as Canberra housing prices are insane. A 3 bedroom townhouse is about 430-450 per week. So we are looking at moving somewhere more affordable . It needs to be somewhere that jobs are available obviously. And preferably somewhere within a couple hours drive of a major city and if possible a beach. We are looking for somewhere that has good schools and is family friendly. I will miss the friends I have in Canberra and want to meet new people and make friends, not having my friends close by will be the hardest part. Both DH and I have strained relationships with our families so not something we really need to consider . So I have spent LOADS of time on the Internet but would love to head where other families on below 70000 live and what they like/ dislike about where they live.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would you move to Victoria? There are lots of gorgeous affordable coastal towns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Would you move to Victoria? There are lots of gorgeous affordable coastal towns.
    At this stage I have nowhere except NT ruled out ( wouldn't be able to stand the heat) and WA because it too far from my friends. We have been looking at Adelaide area and also ballarat, but we have never actually been to either of these states.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tassie! Great place to raise children & cheap to buy & rent

Thanks
    Reviews
    We purchased our home west of Brisbane.

We actually live in Lockyer Valley (yes where the floods were) but our house is not in an area affected by the floods.

You can get a nice family home for $200000 (sometimes cheaper) and a family home on a bit of land for between $2500000 and $400000. I was eyeing off a property today that is 6 bedrooms on 2.5 acres 6 bay shed two car garage and ari con in every bedroom for $399999.

here are private schools (very well priced,cheapest ones I have ever found justdue to rural location) and it is just a lovely place in general.

It is only 45km from Brisbane and you have Toowoomba and Ipswich as other major areas for employment.

Best move we ever made. If you want more info feel free to PM me

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've chosen to live in my suburb solely for the reasons you mentioned - affordability and family friendly. It's an estate North of Brisbane, only 25mins North of the city. Houses in the estate are cheap to buy and rent (rent for a brand new house starts at $330).

There are *heaps* of parks/playgrounds in the area, walking paths, a big pond where kids feed the ducks, Westfield shopping centre, an indoor play centre, schools & a fair few daycare centres...the whole area is very child friendly. There is a hair salon here specifically for kids, the gym here does kids Zumba classes, the leisure centre has kids soccer classes etc, the local tavern has a playground and kids eat free on a specific night of the week, there are family friendly doctors.

The area is awesome, weather is great, and it's pretty cheap. I love living here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second Tassie. We live 30 minutes from Hobart in a waterfront property (beach at the back gate) for a fraction of what we would pay anywhere else. We are classed as rural so you could live MUCH closer to Hobart for a decent price. Traffic is no problem (one of the reasons we didn't buy in Melbourne where we are from). You would have to look at the job market wherever you go and that would depend on what you do. In my industry, I am knocking back jobs.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by mango monkey View Post
    Ballarat is COLD! Beautiful area, but seriously arctic conditions. That's all the advice I've got :P
    Yes, but she's currently in Canberra!

Ballarat is lovely, and I would seriously move there if it wasn't so hard to get a job in my chosen profession. (The uni makes it very hard for teachers to move to the Rat and get a job)

There are lots of regional areas of Victoria that are afforable and great places to live. A few that spring to mind are Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Shepparton or even getting smaller into towns like Echuca, Hamilton or Swan Hill.
    There are heaps of benefits to living rurally- obviously the first is cheaper house pricing (eg we are hopefully just on the verge of selling our house and moving to an area where we can rent a brand new 3 or 4 bedroom home for around $300 per week), but smaller schools means smaller classes, excellent community facilities (often in similar or better conditions than those found in city suburbs), lots of parks and recreational facilities and really good health care too. (I know what city people think about country health care, but I have NEVER had a problem with it )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Ballarat, and it is cold, but not as cold as Canberra. I'm orginally from Melbourne, but have lived here for about 6 years, and my DF is Ballarat born and bred (he was away for 5 years so he could go to uni in Melbourne, which is when we met). I love it here, and I can't see us ever leaving.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I live on the sth east coast of Victoria. About 150km from Mel, easy 90min to 2hr drive. Region is called south gippsland or bass coast. You can get a house for 200k still. Great beaches, close to nature. Major areas are leongatha or wonthaggi. Or a bit further north you have warragul, sale etc.