+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A few Q's ( 3rd degree tears)

Hi

My DD is approaching 6 weeks, which I presume means that my 3rd degree tear should be well on the way to healed.

For those who have had a tear....

- did you do scar massage? Did it help with the sensitivity of the wound? When did you start?

- did you use any creams / ointments to help with healing?

- when did you start swimming? (bleeding pretty well complete) Should I avoid public pools or the ocean?

- how long did you take stool softeners for? They told me a fortnight, but I am still taking them now.... I know it's probably too long, but I think I have another anal fissure (also had one after DS). I drink about 3l water/day, and lots of fruit, veg, prunes and pear juice. Not sure what else I should do??

Thanks for any info, & any other tips you can think of!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had an epi + 2nd degree tear, i didnt do any massage or use any cream or anything, just patted it dry really well after shower/going to the toilet.

didnt go swimming for months but that was more to do with that fact that it was becoming winter and so not the time to go swimming!

cant comment on stol softeners as i didnt take any.

by 6 weeks im pretty sure all my stiches had dissolved

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi there,
    I had a 3rd degree tear which was borderline 4th. To be honest, forget about the 6 week thing and just concentrate on the here and now, otherwise you will only stress more. It takes a while to heal and I think 6 weeks is too soon for that much trauma.

- did you do scar massage?

Yes, I did as I was constantly told that like any scar, if you do not 'rough it up' so to speak it will forever stay raised and angry etc. You need to 'de-sensitise' it, so doing the scar massage daily.

Tips I were given in this regard were to be quite vigourous with my toilet paper when wiping. I know that sounds awful, but it did help and wasn't as painful as it sounds. I also used sweet almond oil on the area to help with the massage.

Did it help with the sensitivity of the wound? When did you start?

Initially it didn't feel like it helped with the sensitivity of the wound, but after a while of trying to 'de-sensitise' the area, it certainly did help. It didn't feel as raw and sensitive as it did before.

I started massaging as soon as I felt comfortable enough to feel down there, so probably after 6 weeks.

I used sweet almond oil (you can buy it from your health food shop).

I also had to attend the Hospital's (Obstetric Anal Injury clinic) which was for 3rd degree tears etc and had a few sessions of 'Silver nitrate' applied to the scar/tear area. I won't lie, it hurt, (like an acid burn type feeling) however it helped to heal and shrink the scar/tear down and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I ever had to. (Worth mentioning at your 6 week check up).

- when did you start swimming? (bleeding pretty well complete) Should I avoid public pools or the ocean?

I avoided public pools for months (not because I was told to, I just didn't want any germs etc), however one of the things recommended to me was sits baths etc, so the ocean is perfect for healing. Salt baths etc (after 6 weeks).

- how long did you take stool softeners for? They told me a fortnight, but I am still taking them now.... I know it's probably too long, but I think I have another anal fissure (also had one after DS). I drink about 3l water/day, and lots of fruit, veg, prunes and pear juice. Not sure what else I should do??

I took the stool softeners for about 2 months I think, but I was a good water drinker (as are you) and that helps immensely!
    I think you're doing all the right things in terms of diet etc.

Thanks for any info, & any other tips you can think of!!!

Keeping the area scrupulously clean and dry. I was advised to always dry the area with a hair dryer and wear cotton undies to breathe.

Everytime I went to the toilet to 'rough up' the area with some toilet paper.

When doing a bowel movement, have your feet on a step stool in front of you and never push, allow things to happen naturally.

All the best, I do know how you feel and I know the feeling of thinking it's never going to heal, but it does and in time. I went on to have another baby 18 months later and the 3rd degree tear became a distant memory and that time *only* suffered a 2nd degree tear and it healed in no time. I stil have scar tissure of course, but it's no longer painful or acute as it is in the early days.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

sunshine81  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mopoke!

Uniquey - thankyou so much for all the info! Though the thought of "roughing it up" brings tears to my eyes!!! Interesting about the silver nitrate - I have my first appointment with the clinic in 3 weeks, so I'll ask them while I'm there. The sweet almond oil sounds good too - I think that's what I used on my c/s scar after DS, so I'll go get some more. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know, when they first mentioned 'roughing up' to me, I am sure I clenched my legs tightly together! However, the Doctors gave me the analogy that with scars/tears etc on your skin elsewhere, would usually get exposed to air, contact, skin, rubbing etc and if we were to leave a scar (for e.g) on our knee constantly covered up, never touched and left moist, it would take longer to heal and stay sensitive etc.

I was exactly like you, the thought of it made me tremble with trepidation, but slow, baby steps, of scrunching up some toilet paper (softest toilet paper) and just giving it a bit of a rub everytime you go to the toilet etc, really and truly works over time. Baby steps
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 29-12-2011 at 20:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it's definitely baby steps! It's all healing much better than I had feared (was horrified when I heard it was a 3rd degree) , so now I just need to get brave

Thankyou again for your tips, makes me feel much more confident about everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3rd degree almost 4th after DS (almost 5 years ago) i was never told about roughing it up (it makes perfect sense) but i had lots of issues after. I have thick scaring normally so with this i had extra issues..

I used softeners for 2-3 months but not every day.
    I was told to do stretching exercises (finger in baby hole and pull down towards bum after 4 months post baby)
    i couldn't have sex, use a tampon or anything like that cause it felt like i was tearing again.

I went on to have another baby 15 months after DS (one shot wonder my husband is) and i didn't even get a stitch after.

I used a hormone cream (cannot remember the name) to rub in the scar whilst stretching.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    - did you do scar massage? Did it help with the sensitivity of the wound? When did you start?

Hey, I had a 3rd degree tear too with DS. I wasn't told to do anything! The only advice OB gave me was not to have sex for 6 weeks.

No, nothing. I'm thinking I should have though as if I squat for long periods of times it feels really weak and "teary" again.

Mmmm well I had an autumn baby so it wasn't an issue for me but I'd say you're pretty much safe after 6 weeks. Ocean would actually be good for it

Only took them for my 2 nights in hospital but it sounds like you're doing everything right