+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Poor little bubba.

Just remember though that children are very resilient and heal very well. I will keep your ds in my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app because I am too lazy to get off my *** and go to the computer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sending big hugs. Seeing your children in pain is truly heartbreaking. I hope you all recover quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge to you and your DS.

I hear you about the screaming, my DS spilt freshly boiled water over his arm and chest when he was about 16 months old, and I've got to say the screaming from the time it happened until the morphine was administered in the hospital was the worst sound I've ever heard. Could literally feel my heart breaking listening to it.

He's now 6 and a half, and although there is one scar on his arm, it is not deep and most people don't even notice it until I point it out. I also wanted to tell you that we too were able to bring him home that night after being bandaged up, and Nurofen was all that we needed to administer for pain. I think once the bandages are on the pain is significantly reduced - thank god!!

I understand why your Mum would be feeling guilty. And no one is going to be harder on her than she is going to be on herself. I was literally standing right next to DS when it happened. And I was the one who had just poured the boiling water. I was scoulding a bowl for his dinner! I had the phone in one hand and the kettle in the other. The bowl was on the sink. I poured the water into the bowl, and as I reached over to put the kettle back on the stand, DS's little hand shot up to the bowl, tipped it over and splashed the water onto his hand, which ran all the way down his arm, under his armpit and onto his chest. Thankfully none splashed into his face or things could have been so much worse.

Luckily as we were at the kitchen sink I was able to scoop him up immediately and get him under the cold tap (clothes and all) and screamed like I've never done in my life to my husband who had just pulled into the driveway from work. He actually jumped the gate (6 foot) because he thought we were being murdered or something the way I screamed (well, that's how he tells it anyway ).

It was the most intense, gut wrenching experience I've ever been through (and I've had some doozies), I was literally dry-reaching from guilt and panic. It was awful.

Now to this day I still feel a LOT of guilt when I think about it. I mean it was so stupid! And yet so innocent. You think because you're right there you could stop it from happening, but it doesn't work that way. They are just too quick some times. And he wasn't the sort of kid to grab at things either, so it was totally unexpected. Your poor Mum (and you and DH) will feel guilt, and anger, and a multitude of other emotions. Let them happen. Just remember it has happened. And no amount of guilt and what if's and remorse is going to change that fact. And I'd not be surprised if your DS sleeps better than any of you tonight!!

He will be fine. My DS has no memory of it at all. In fact, he didn't believe me he had a scar until I showed it to him! Even he didn't know it was there

to all of you. Such a horrible thing to go through!!
    PM me if you need a chat x

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear, I hope you all manage a good sleep tonight, and your DS heals well! I'm glad you were able to get him under the running water too, it would have helped him so much! Huge hugs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hon, My little nephew, aged 18 months, pulled a rice cooker of the bench in his home a few weeks ago and burnt his arm, tummy and some of his leg. He too was sent home with pain killers, silver dressings and told to return to hospital in 3 days to check and redress the burns. The wonderful thing was that after his first nights sleep, he was back to his usual self, bouncing around, running and playing. His burns have healed well and there won't be scarring. He managed really well on panadol. You've been through so much. When we first heard our nephew had been rushed to hospital we felt absolutely sick. I'll bet you'll be surprised how quickly he recovers. Let us know how he is doing in the morning. Get as much sleep as you can too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a terrible thing to go through for both you and your son, I hope he heals quickly and knows how lucky he is to have a people who care for him so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor thing. I hope he's doing okay.

My brother did the exact same thing when he was a toddler. Mum told me that when she tore his jumper off him a layer of skin came with it. *cringe!* I don't know the rest of the story but he was fine and as far as I know unscarred.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the same thing when I was 2 or 3ish. I burnt all of my stomach and spent a few days in hospital but have no scars. Hope your little boy isn't in to much pain and gets some rest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post
    Today has been the worst day of my life.

I left Riley with mum (who we are staying with for Christmas) and was just about to jump in the shower when I heard him screaming. I ran out of the bathroom and find him with mum, leg red and blistering cos he pulled a kettle of water over himself.

I ran him into the shower and mum got Matt, we kept the cold water running and I rang the ambulance who were here quickly, and took us to Canberra Hospital.

My poor little man. As soon as we took him out of the shower he started screaming and he was in so much pain.

He was given painkillers nasally, which did nothing, them the doctor had to try to find a vein to put a drip in so more drugs could be given.

The surgeon came to look and thankfully the burns are not severe, and it helped that we got him into the shower so quickly. Silver dressing got applied and we have to take him to get the dressings changed in 3 days, which we will do in Brisbane.

I've never felt so upset, and angry and helpless in my life.

He is so lucky that it was only his leg, nothing on his stomach or hands or genitals. It could have been so much worse.

He's eating and drinking, but we don't know how much of that is due to the painkillers. We have just given him some Nurofen and bought some PainStop which has codeine in it if he is really bad overnight.

My poor, brave little guy. I don't ever want to hear him in so much pain, ever again.
    I understand your feelings. I underestimated ds1's ability when he was not even walking. I was running the bath, he was standing holding onto the bath, I turned my back to get his towel ready and he had pulled himself into the bath. His screaming was horrifying, took him to the ED (only a street away), they bathed his hand in cold water for 20mins, pain stop, silver sulphur cream etc. turned out to only be mild burn to his hand, very fortunate it wasn't worse. I felt like the worst most hopeless mother in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How are you guys doing today?