+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anal Fissure....Sorry if TMI

Hi All,

I have been suffering from an anal fissure (tear in anal tissue) since the birth of my baby 9 months ago, I also now have a hemorrhoid. The pain I experience when I go to the toilet is excruciating and is getting worse, after I have to lay down for a while, which is very difficult with an active 9 month old. I went to the surgeon and he prescribed a cream to use but said I would have to stop breastfeeding while using it. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! I am taking metamucil, coloxyl and using salty rags on my backside.

My questions are have you been through this pain? What did you do to solve the problem? Did you have surgery? What was the recovery time?

Thanks in advance!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    ok .. dont want to overshare here either lol - but when I went to my GP for a similar situation after my second bub .. she gave me three things to use- it was a long time ago .. so I'm trying to remember!!! ! .. a) an anesthetic cream to put on BEFORE I went (bless her) coloxyl to take regularly .. and also parachoc??? from memory??

PLEASE be careful with the metamucil - my GP mentioned that fibre is good .. TO MUCH fibre can actually make things far far worse so maybe think pear juice or prunes rather than powders???

its miserable - I know .. I would be heading to a second GP - because there is no way this cant be handled while breastfeeding at the same time ..

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    ooo meant to add .. no surgery here, my body healed, but it did take time

take care of yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I have been through the same and I did the exact same things as you to try and resolved the problems. Coloxyl, Metamucil daily, upping my fibre intake and salty rags. I didn't need surgery for fissures and hemmies, but I will for a prolapse, however they will not entertain any type of surgery until you are sure you've finished having children.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help, you're doing exactly what I have done in the past with the same symptoms. They eventually fixed themselves and it was a God send not having the pain of fissures and hemmies no longer, but it did take time.
    Good for you for sticking to your guns regarding the breastfeeding . Sometimes going on the pill can help in that regard, as the added hormones can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hope things get better for you soon
    .... Sounds really painful...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been through this after I had DS. The fissure came after birth from dehydration during breast feeding which caused awful hard stools.

It was a miserable time and ruined what was supposed to be a very special time for us..

I found myself having showers afterwards to ease the pain and lying down just like you. I was crying all day every day.. That coupled with sleep deprivation and being a nervous new Mum, my mental health was rapidly declining.

The sphincter muscle clenches involuntarily and the pain coming at random times all throughout the day was insane.

My GP also gave me the anesthetic gel, it's available over the counter but you will have to ask for it. It's called Xylocaine Gel. It did help. I also tried everything else but had the surgery in the end. A Sphincterotomy.

It was a ten minute op under light anesthetic and the results were immediate. It took a while to comfortably go to the loo, but after a month or so the pain was gone.

I'm on my phone so can't go into too much detail, but I hope it gets sorted for you soon and don't be scared if the surgery, it sounds worse than it actually was. I'd do it again in a flash if I had to.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Preshy2008 For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (30-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are definitely treatments you can use while breastfeeding.

Rodney Whyte at Monash is brilliant in providing info on meds and pregnancy/breastfeeding.

Alternatively, most large women's hospitals should have a drug info person you can talk to

e.g.
    Royal Women's Hospital
    Drug Information Centre - Pharmacy Department
    Hours 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
    After hours answering machine
    Tel: (03) 8345 3190
    Email:
    drug.information@thewomens.org.au
    Web: http://www.thewomens.org.au/AskaPharmacist

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a fissure before (a few years ago), and I recently had a thrombosed hemorrhoid (where an internal one pops out and develops a clot - extremely painful).
    To be honest I'm not *entirely* sure what helped heal the fissure, but I did increase my water intake by about double, and used an anaesthetic cream to ease the pain of 'going', but I'm not sure what actually healed it.

The thrombosed hemmy was a million times worse though, and needed pretty much 24/7 pain control until it healed. Luckily I didn't need surgery for it, as the gp I saw was spot-on with what I needed to do to avoid surgery. (They wouldn't have done it whilst I'm preg anyway).

So what eased my pain was -
    Massive increase in water intake. Plus diet consisting of pretty much all fruit and cooked vegies. (Cooked vegies go through a lot easier than raw). Kiwifruit are great for softening things up.
    I was also told not to use any stool softeners or fibre supplements unless the high fruit & water diet didn't make it easier to go. As they can create a "road block" effect where they make you need to go before your body has fully prepared the stool which makes it come out harder and larger than it should (tmi but thats how it was explained to me).
    After each Number 2 I wiped with wet toilet paper (you could also try those medicated personal wipes), then hopped in the bath. The bath just had a few inches of warm water and epsom salts (I used half a small box of salts for each bath), and soaked for 20mins. Then patted the area dry and popped a witch-hazel soaked cotton ball on the area for a few minutes, followed by soov-it cream (safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding - not all bum creams are).
    The salts paired with the witch hazel eased the pain alot, and although it was for a hemmy, I'm sure it would help with your pain too.

Good luck

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use witch hazel for haemorrhoids (put it on cotton wool and then dab on the roid if possible). It works like magic for me. Fissures are more problematic. I've been given rectinol before and it really helps with pain but I'm not sure on bfeeding safety.

I'd ask a pharmacist. They often know medicines better than GPs.

i've been there too and it can be excuciatingly painful. And embarrassing. Not the kind of pain you can tell many others about so you suffer in silence for the most part. I hope you find something that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bit off track but my dad just had hemorrhoid surgery and said it was so painful that if he had a razor blade he would have used them in the first week or so after surgery.
    Please go get a second opinion and take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app because I am too lazy to get off my *** and go to the computer!