View Poll Results: How much would you be prepared to pay for a birthday cake?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • $30.00 - $35.00

6 30.00%
  • $35.00 - $40.00

1 5.00%
  • $40.00 - $50.00

4 20.00%
  • $50.00 +

5 25.00%
  • Other

0 0%
  • I wouldn't pay for a birthday cake

4 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Just doing a little research :) How much would you be prepared to pay for...

A birthday cake/cupcakes. Basically I'm thinking about start a cake decorating business from home. I have done it as a hobby since I was pregnant with my first child nearly 7 years ago and now I think I'd like to do it as a business. I obviously will make all sorts of cakes for all occasions but birthday cakes/cupcakes would be the most popular. I'm just trying to get an ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

I'm going to try to do a poll now

If this is in the wrong spot please feel free to move it
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 29-12-2011 at 17:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depending on size and detail anywhere near $50-250

One of my school friends started a cake making business from home through Facebook as a group. She made a huge range of cakes and uploaded them to a group. I'd do a blog too. So you can blog about the event getting the client to have photos of the cakes used at the event. Good luck
    Would you like me to pm you her fb group for some ideas?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was looking at one for $35 but when I asked about the same thing in vegan it jumped to $55 then for vegan and gluten free and it jumped to -gulp- $175!!! I might pay $55 but that's the max since I can make it for about $10.

Eta: It was a small one in the shape of a t-rex head from a tin.
    Last edited by share a book; 29-12-2011 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't do the poll as I am on my phone but for a christening cake I pay $110 and for a birthday cake a normally pay $70. We buy them from a couple who make them in there home not far from us. Good luck with it I think it's a great business to have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't pay for someone else to make the cake. I'm rather sucky and not creative lol but I make it with love

But IF I bought one,I would pay no more than $30,maybe $40 for a big one or a smaller one with extravagant decoration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I ticked that I wouldn't pay for a birthday cake, as I try to make my own, but for a wedding cake/ other special event cake I would pay anything from about $50-300, depending on how complex it was. Good luck! Great to start a business in something you like doing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    Depending on size and detail anywhere near $50-250

One of my school friends started a cake making business from home through Facebook as a group. She made a huge range of cakes and uploaded them to a group. I'd do a blog too. So you can blog about the event getting the client to have photos of the cakes used at the event. Good luck
    Would you like me to pm you her fb group for some ideas?
    Hey I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with photography all online thru fb. Could u pm me her fb page so I can see how she has it layer out. Taaaa :-)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    FB is fairly standard in it's layout- you can't really change much at all- BUT- it is free and a great way of reaching the masses.

For a special occasion cake I would be prepared to pay upward of $100- for a birthday cake I do my own. They're terrible to look at, but it's made with love!

You may want to research other like businesses in your area- because it's something that is so location specific- you can't post it or send it through email like other FB businesses do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I run a very small cake business from home myself, it started as a hobby then I made cakes for friends and it went from there. My advice is to work out what you need to charge and go with that, not with what people are willing to pay, you have to charge enough to cover your costs for materials and ingredients etc and then decide how much you want to make for your time as I'm assuming you already know that is the greatest investment in the cake decorating process.
    You will encounter people who want really complicated cakes for very little money, but it's generally just that they don't understand how much work goes into decorating specialty cakes so don't be afraid to stick to your guns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammycakes View Post
    I run a very small cake business from home myself, it started as a hobby then I made cakes for friends and it went from there. My advice is to work out what you need to charge and go with that, not with what people are willing to pay, you have to charge enough to cover your costs for materials and ingredients etc and then decide how much you want to make for your time as I'm assuming you already know that is the greatest investment in the cake decorating process.
    You will encounter people who want really complicated cakes for very little money, but it's generally just that they don't understand how much work goes into decorating specialty cakes so don't be afraid to stick to your guns
    One of the biggest questions I have is do you run it like "officially" or just cash and all that and word of mouth. I have a friend who does it all through fb at home all cash and it works for her but then what are the consequences? I just want to know what to do