+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Witchy - any luck with the Dr yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did you get to see the paed yesterday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok..the Paed finally called at 5pm. I thought for sure that he would say that he couldn't fit us in. He was at a hospital where he was attending caesars. He said that he would drive from the hospital across town and meet us at his clinic. When we got there he was sitting in his car and opened his clinic up just for us. He spent about an hour talking to me about DS2 and checking him. He said he thinks it is a cows milk intolerance rather than an allergy. He gave me 3 tins of Alfare and says that if I think they are helping I should call his pager on Tuesday and he will arrange a script for DS2. How is that for service?!!!! He had been up all night attending caesars too as he was covering another Paed who was on leave as well as his own patients.

We got home and gave DS2 a bottle of the Alfare and he slept for 10 hours!! He has never come close to sleeping longer than 5 hours before! He is currently having his 2nd sleep of the day right now. This is unheard of! He is also sleeping without grunting, squealing, crying out in pain and writhing around!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awesome. What a great Dr. Glad your little one took the formula and you both got a good nights sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Woohoo! So happy for you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, what your poor boy had to go through.
    When my DD was diagnosed with cows protein allergy she had broken out in hives and was fine on goats milk formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, after some help.. I suspect cows milk and soy allergy is to blame for a blotchy rash every time by 6 mth old (formula fed) has a bottle. I initially thought it was introduction of solid food but quickly realized that he cannot possibly be allergic to every fruit and veg out there and realized that the common denominator must be formula! Duhhhh.. Took me a while to figure that one out. I switched him to soy a couple of days ago, he didn't react the first two times but now the rash is coming back intermittently and I realise it's common for babies with cows milk allergy to also be allergic to soy. The confusing thing is, I eliminated fruit and veg and went back to basics to ascertain if it was formula or food - I did give him mushy pears (not mixed with formula) and the same reaction happened! Took him to paediatrician last week before I made the formula connection and he said to keep a food diary and avoid any foods that he has a reaction to. Also won't do the skin scratch test as he says bub is too little. I have heard of the blood tests as an alternative and wondering if anyone did these to confirm their diagnosis. Going back tomorrow and have heard that Neocate may be worth a go, but will they prescribe without a confirmed allergy? I'm worried that although its only a mild reaction now and he may outgrow the allergy, what happens if his reaction worsens? He has to have something!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    Hi all, after some help.. I suspect cows milk and soy allergy is to blame for a blotchy rash every time by 6 mth old (formula fed) has a bottle. I initially thought it was introduction of solid food but quickly realized that he cannot possibly be allergic to every fruit and veg out there and realized that the common denominator must be formula! Duhhhh.. Took me a while to figure that one out. I switched him to soy a couple of days ago, he didn't react the first two times but now the rash is coming back intermittently and I realise it's common for babies with cows milk allergy to also be allergic to soy. The confusing thing is, I eliminated fruit and veg and went back to basics to ascertain if it was formula or food - I did give him mushy pears (not mixed with formula) and the same reaction happened! Took him to paediatrician last week before I made the formula connection and he said to keep a food diary and avoid any foods that he has a reaction to. Also won't do the skin scratch test as he says bub is too little. I have heard of the blood tests as an alternative and wondering if anyone did these to confirm their diagnosis. Going back tomorrow and have heard that Neocate may be worth a go, but will they prescribe without a confirmed allergy? I'm worried that although its only a mild reaction now and he may outgrow the allergy, what happens if his reaction worsens? He has to have something!
    My son had the skin test at 7 months and he was fine. IMO it's much better than a needle/blood test at this age.

If you have eliminated all foods and it was still happening, then it's definitely something he's drinking. Have you tried swapping formulas to see if it still happens? If so then it does sound like a reaction to the milk.

If you're going back to the Paed I would tell him about your findings and it's only happening after milk. Request a referral to an allergist or even a trial tin of neocate or Elecare (my son is on this one). Most Paeds have a few tins they can provide to try first - getting a script for them is quite strict so they'll be reluctant to do so unless a confirmed allergy. A trial tin would tell you straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    My son had the skin test at 7 months and he was fine. IMO it's much better than a needle/blood test at this age.

If you have eliminated all foods and it was still happening, then it's definitely something he's drinking. Have you tried swapping formulas to see if it still happens? If so then it does sound like a reaction to the milk.

If you're going back to the Paed I would tell him about your findings and it's only happening after milk. Request a referral to an allergist or even a trial tin of neocate or Elecare (my son is on this one). Most Paeds have a few tins they can provide to try first - getting a script for them is quite strict so they'll be reluctant to do so unless a confirmed allergy. A trial tin would tell you straight away.
    Thanks so much! So far he has reacted to: pears, apples, avocado, pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato. I thought it may have been the beta-carotine (?) in the orange foods which is why I tried the other stuff. Squash zucchini and potato hasn't had a reaction thus far. A trial tin would be good, I'll definitely ask about that. I switched from normal to soy with same reaction eventually, reluctant to try the partially hydralised as it is costing a fortune and doesn't always work. I agree about the testing, I'd much rather him have the scratch test as opposed to bloods but how to get paed to agree? I guess he may now given that we thought it was the food last time and now it seems that it may be formula - I think it is very much needed. Out of curiosity, I wonder if they will test for those particular foods that he reacted to as well - I eliminated all foods but wasn't sure how long to do it for, it was only 2 days max. As soon as I gave him pears by themselves (before formula) he came up with a reaction. In hindsight 2 days was probably not sufficient but I had figured that as the reaction occurs as he consumes something it would not matter. A bit unsure - im a first timer and haven't been through this before! Thank you for all of your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up to 70% of babies allergic to cows milk protein are also allergic to soy (my DS is).

You could try an alternative formula in the sample size, to reduce costs? Most chemists (Chemist Warehouse does) sell them in single satchels, so maybe worth trying one while waiting to see a Paed.

It's really bizarre that your bub has reacted to so many different foods, sorry I'm not much help there Good luck.