+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work/pregnancy dilemma......

Hi. I would love some advice so will give some background info. I'm 8.5weeks pregnant with #2. I started as a casual employee at my job in August. My bosses are very happy with me and have been pretty good with giving me lots of work and accounting for my childcare schedule. Unfortunately the nature of my job is unpredictable. I lecture at a university and in our international department we have short semesters so the amount of work depends on ever-changing student numbers. Since August I've been working 2.5 days a week which is exactly what I wanted but from next week it will go back to 1.5 days a week with a possibility if an extra day depending on student numbers-no idea yet.
    I've spoken to HR about what I should do and as expected the regular laws don't apply because I've not worked there for at least 12 months. My due date is 5 days before the 12 months. So my bosses can do whatever they like depending on their goodwill. As I said they have been good to me so far BUT both bosses dislike kids (their words), don't have any, and won't. You would think they'd treat me fairly but I've seen how childish and *****y they can be with other staff members. They will give more or less work to whoever is in or out of their favor in a given week. It's ridiculous. However they pay me an excellent hourly rate and I want to keep at least 2 days so I can get a decent paid maternity leave. I will work as close to the birth as I can.
    Now, my problem. I want to tell my #1 boss ASAP but I start back next week but he starts the week after. My students will definitely know something is up because I'll have to run out to vomit frequently etc. I'd hate the students to pick up on it before my boss knew. I have another less ethical reason and I'm a bit ashamed of this but need the work. I want to tell the boss and say I wanted to let him know as early as possible and that I trust him that it won't affect him giving me extra work. I know HR would back me up if this was the reason I didn't get extra work, but it would be a bit hard to prove. Although presently I am one of the first people offered more hours.
    So finally, should I tell my boss by email? He will check his emails off campus but he isn't available by phone or in person until Jan. 9th. Is this acceptable these days? I've only been back in Aus. since July after 11 years abroad with a very different work culture. Any advice for me? Sorry it was long-winded. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Guess nobody wants to read my massive post, huh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there.
    I wouldn't tell him until 12-14 weeks. There is no rush. Just tell him you only just found out.
    I don't think you should email him. Is there an urgency in him knowing?
    Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I would try hold off until 12 ish weeks i know its hard though cuz i blurted it out at 10 weeks to boss.
    Also talk to your boss dont email but then again some bosses only communicate to workers through emails no face to face so if thats your boss then i dont see why not. But i think its nice face to face theb you can read their reaction too and explain how u love your job and plan to work as long as u can

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would have to agree with other posters. Telling your boss face to face is more respectful. Tell them once you know everything is ok. I think if you stress that I you enjoy your work and want to work as long as poss. They will continue to give you more hours.
    I'm 11 weeks and a primary teacher. I have not told work yet and will not until school goes back at the end of January , by then I will be just over four months. I must admit I have had two reasons for not wanting to tell them 1) to make sure all is ok 2) fear that they would move me into another section of the school. But as missie Mack pointed out there are a number of rights and all of us pregnant mums should familiarize ourselves. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a miscarriage in may and told my boss the next working day to inform her as all my workmates knew after I had spent the day crying and blurted it out. She told me next time your pregnant please don't hesitate to tell me ASAP so we can look after you etc.
    This pregnancy I still waited until after my viability scan at 9 weeks. And I only told her because she wouldn't be back until the 9th of January and I'd be having my nt scan on the 5th so just in case I couldn't help myself and spilt on fb. I wouldn't want parents and co workers knowing before her (I'm a preschool teacher)

Anyway I would wait until the 9th and do it face to face. Your under no obligation to say anything until your 28-30 weeks so you don't need to explain why you didn't say anything sooner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure they are going to find out. I'm vomiting about 8 times a day. The bathroom is very far from my lecture room and I'll carry a vomit bag but I know I'll get caught. In my first pregnancy I couldn't old it in on a few occasions. The worst thing is that my work IS affected by my sickness in pregnancy so they could argue that I guess. Oh I hope the sickness is short lived this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried anti neasua meds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I've had HG with both pregnancies. This time I've been given maxolon and Zofran and neither work. I go to the hospital twice a week for a drip to rehydrate