+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Benefits of larger age gap?

I've read lots of benefits of having a small age gap between kids, but TTC no. 2 is not going to plan and the gap is getting larger and larger as every month goes by.

So... I'm after some benefits of a larger gap between kids to try and cheer myself up a bit!

Thanks ladies.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of gap do you think you'll end up with?

I've had three quite different age gaps; 5 years 3 months between #1 and #2, 3 years 8 months between #2 and #3, and 22 months between #3 and #4.

The relationship between #1 and #2 is just lovely, as is that between #2 and #3. They didn't compete for the same kinds of attention and there were never any jealousy issues.

The only negative I found was most pronounced with the gap between #1 and #2... We had long said goodbye to nappies and sleepless nights and it was a shock to the system to find ourselves there again! Whereas with my 22 month gap it's just like one continuous baby.

My favourite gap has been 3 and a half years

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have roughly 4yrs between mine and think its great. They are old enough to understand what's happening during pregnancy and the early days with constant feeding etc. they all play together nicely and the older boys can watch bub if I need to go to the loo or whatever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont have children yet..but there is a 4 year difference between my younger brother and I. Personally I love it..we have a great relationship. My mum loved it as well because she had those first years with me to bond and we had a great time and she says that I was so excited when my brother was born and I was great with him. Plus I was that little bit older to understand what was going on. She says Id get up early in the morning and help her feed him and bath him and dress him.

My friend had a baby in july and her son is 6 years old. He had a bit of a hard time adjusting to it because hed been the only child for 6 years and now she had to spend more time with the baby then constantly with him. But 6 months on and he has adjusted..he absolutely loves his baby sister and they couldnt be happier. I dont think there is anything wrong with a gap that big as long as the first child still gets attention so they know that theyre not being replaced and that they are still loved.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i have 4yrs between my girls and its great. DD1 does a lot for herself and things she cant do she can wait if needs be.
    her and DD2 are getting better at playing together now DD2 is 13mths and more engaging

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were in a similar situation. We originally wanted a small age gap of around 18mths- 2yrs. Unfortunately things didn't work out like we planned and we ended up with a almost a 4.5yr gap.

Despite our concerns it has actually been great! The love between my dd and ds is beautiful to watch. Dd is a great helper and she's also understanding when I need to bf ds and she entertains herself or gets herself a drink etc.

Good luck ttc, but know that larger gaps aren't as bad as some people can make them out to be!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to majo For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm bout to have a large gap ds 8 dd 5 and due July! I'm thinken of go get me a drink kids, take the happier to the bin please!! And when baby starts crawling kids go get ur bro or sister please hahaha!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to becnbubs For This Useful Post:

DelGirl  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank for the thread DelGirl and for all your responses everyone, this has been on my mind lately too.

I've been having second thoughts about whether or not to give up TTC as we've been trying for 4 years now and even if we fall pregnant soon there will be an 8 year age gap. I don't know when to stop trying, but my little man is growing up so fast, he doesn't need nappies, pram, cot, high chair, he's even out of his car seat in 4 months. I don't want to keep trying when he's in high school!