+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 17 month old speech

DD is 17 months and not talking, she says mama dada but nothing else. We are a bilingual household, DH speaks to her only in Dutch and I english, she understands everything we tell her. For example DH will tell her in Dutch where are the birds and she will go outside and point to the trees etc. She picks up our phones to her ears and babbles and she says things that sound like words but are not eg Baboo...?????

Should i be concerned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldnt be concerned.
    I don't think they are supposed to talk at 17months.
    My DS is 19 months and has just started picking up words.
    He says things like yes please, there, where, duck, two etc
    But before this he might of said one or 2 words and that's it.
    My friends DD didnt talk till over 2 and once she started there is no stopping her.
    We are also bilingual so DS hears 3 languages. I'm sure he will figure it all out in his own good time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD is the same. She is almost 18 months and apart from a couple of words (dad, sis, yum) she doesnt talk. Well, she talks but it's all babble. She gets the tone of voice for something's so we can understand what she is trying to say (like "what's that, where's it gone", and the tune of Twinkle Little Star), but the actual words are babble. She has complete conversations, almost like she is talking to imaginary friends. I feel like she is so far behind other kids, but then all I really have to compare her speech to is her older sisters, who was speaking clear and full sentences by this age (is very advanced language wise for her age).

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 29-12-2011 at 09:08.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi crunchie. My DD has just turned 2 and has just started getting a vocabulary the last two months. Now she is a parrot, though! My DD is bilingual too, and apparently bilingual children usually develop a language somewhat later (after all, they get exposed to two languages), but tend to benefit long-term.

Every child is different and I don't think there is much need to be concerned at this stage, but if you are, perhaps you could see a professional to ease your mind a little.

Good luck, and well done for teaching your DD to speak both languages. It truly is a gift!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 29-12-2011 at 09:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have friends in a similar situation (Dutch mother, Australian father). Their DS has been slow to start talking. I believe it's normal for bilingual kids. Apparently they are often slower to get started but have highly developed language skills. I wouldn't be concerned. I also have a friend whose DS (not bilingual) had very few words at almost two but his language really took off after two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are a bi-lingual family, but have reverted to just English as DS has development delays.

He's 22 months and has 4 words 'no', 'mum', 'dad' and 'boo' (he plays a lot of peekaboo with his little sister).

However, he wasn't showing comprehension of either language, where as yours is, so I wouldn't be too concerned yet. 17 months is not old enough to be a big concern IMO.