+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Do you have a small late model car?

If so, would you recommend the model of car you bought to others?

I want to trade in my old Toyota for a near-new car, hoping to spend no more than 16K after trade in (I'm expecting anywhere from $1000-$2500 for my trade). I was looking at getting a Corolla that is about 2 years old, but I think I may now want to get something new or a demo vehicle for around the same price. I’d prefer an automatic, but very seriously considering going back to manual as you can get a better price. I’m considering the following:

Suzuki Swift
    Honda Jazz
    Ford Fiesta
    Hyundai i20 or i30

I’ve test driven none of the above. I have test driven the Toyota Yaris and Nissan Tiida, both of which I quite enjoy but they just didn’t have that ‘it’ factor.

I would be turned off a car that has an extremely small boot (small-ish is okay). We have an almost 11 month old DS and have no plans to expand the family in the near future. I want something economical that doesn’t cost a fortune to fix, and of course very safe.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in your position last year.
    Ended up with a new corolla.
    Hyundai just looked like it was going to fall apart if you drove it over 70km the car just doesn't look new. I hated it just plain ugly. I know they are ok these days but I couldn't bring myself to look at it longer then 5min.
    The Suzuki swift is a great little car, drives like a champ. 2 of my friends have them and are very happy. The only thing is that the car is very small. And I have 2 kids.
    The honda jazz is my fav. Roomy for a small car, drives great, nice inside and had the wow factor for me. However at the time their finance options where rubbish compared to Toyota so I ended up with a new corolla.
    Love the Toyota it's zippy and roomy drives smooth for a little car and it's a Toyota so you can't go wrong plus the resale value is crazy
    However I still love the jazz. There is something sexy about Hondas that no other car can match. And the seat folding options are crazy. You could move house in that car.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and a word of advice whatever car you get dont get a dark colour.
    I wish I choose silver. Everything shows on it and every little scratch looks like the grand canyon.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A gf has a 2004 carolla, great little car & yeah I'd recommend it... I did all the research and found it for her. Lol.

I have a 2010 Mazda 3... Love it. Have not a bad word to say about it.

Not a fan of tiida, but that's my personal opinion on looks, they r not my style.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got an 09 Barina.. and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Granted we have put a fair few k's on the clock (almost 70,000), but it's had a LOT of problems, even from the first 10,000ks.

It's economical and comfy to drive, but yeah, not reliable enough for my liking. The particular model is notorious for suspension problems (we've so far spent about 2grand on suspension repairs, plus full new set of wheels recently - plus several repairs under warranty).

Also the boot is embarassingly tiny, I spent about 4 months trying to find a pram for our almost-here 2nd bub that would fit in the back, and there's no way in the world anything else will fit around it.

And yeah I'm with janesmum - stay away from dark colours. Ours is black (was either black or a 6 week wait for another colour), and it shows EVERYTHING. Esp when we're parked next to the same model in a lighter colour, ours always looks 5 years older just because of all the little blemishes being so obvious.
    Even with a freshly done cut and polish it still looks crap.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to danielle13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I 2nd the mazda 3.

I only traded mine to upgrade to an 8 seater.

The Mazda was the best car my mechanic DH said he ever drove. I miss it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bexta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just subscribing- we're looking around for a second small car ATM

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a little 2006 swift.

It's awesome! It looks small but the sheer amount of stuff you can fit in there is amazing. My mum calls it s clown car because when I empty it at her place she can Imagine me pulling out the kitchen sink!

I can fit two meridian AHR safe n sound seats in the back, I don't have two babies but my friends baby has come with us before some know it fits.

Prams are a bit of a pain but I got a bugaboo bee and it fits in perfect.

Also the seat anchor points are in a good place.

Great fuel economy, easy to park.

Edit: mine is a pinky silverly kinda colour and I never have to wash it, can hardly see scratches. I agree with not getting a dark colour

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone, I'm really appreciating the advice. I agree about avoiding dark colours. I intend on keeping whatever car I purchase for a number of years so I want to make the right decision!

danielle13 - your Barina sounds like a nightmare! You just don't expect that kind of trouble with a car so new.

Mazda 3 - hmmm, might have to check out the pricing on those. Might have to look at one that's a couple of years old to fit into my price bracket?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    subscribing as I will be buying one come feburary