+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Using both cot & bassinet

Hi just wondering if anyone uses both cot & bassinet? Baby won't be in the room with us & will sleep at night in the cot.. But was thinking of using the bassinet for day sleeps? A friend has kindly offered us their bassinet but just wondering how useful it would be? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. I'm thinking cot for night, and pram bassinet for first nights and day sleeps. Keen to hear others ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the bassinett will be in our room and bubs will sleep in it for the first 6 or so weeks, then tranferring to the cot. crazy first time mummy here so couldn't sleep with bubs in abother room - to begin with anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    First two bubs slept in a cot in their own rooms from day one, second two slept in the bassinette in our room first then went to their own room in the cot. #3 was in there for 8 weeks, #4 was in there for 5months, and I'm planning on letting this one sleep in ours for about 5months too.

To be honest, day sleeping was a bit here and there with all of them, most of the time they slept in a bouncer or sofa in the lounge room, and never made it to the bassinette for the first 6-8 weeks. The last two of mine were really bad with reflux and threw up massive amounts of milk a lot, and with the choking hazard it was important to keep them within eyesight so I could get to them quicker, also sleeping in the bouncer or couch kept them semi upright which helped with the reflux so that was better for them too.

I also found that if they fell asleep they preferred the couch and the noise of the house around them, rather than the shift to the cold mattress and noiseless room. It didn't really matter in the long run where they ended up, they all learnt to sleep in their own cots when the time came with minimal fuss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had DD in the bassinett in her own room from day 2 (first night I tried having her in our room and I didnt sleep at all lol) and she stayed in the cot for night time and day naps till she was about 7 months old and no longer fit....then she went to the cot, where she still is today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just pointing out the recommendations from SIDS and Kids that babies should sleep in their parents room for the first 6-12 months of life!!! Sorry cant link to their website but well worth a read :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

proud-mum  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we will have bubs in our room in a bassinett until she is too big for it we also have a pota cot with bassinett set up in the front room (just out our bed room door) if needed. Ds was a very noisy sleeper so he would sleep in the porta cot. None of my kids have ever slept more than a few feet away for the first 6 months for the SIDS reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD sleeps in a cot in our room but we have a moses basket on a stand downstairs for day sleeps when we can keep an eye on her. It's definitely handy having both because sometimes she won't settle in a room on her own and other times she won't settle if there is activity around her.