+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mice

I think I have mice in my house. More specifically in the ceiling / wall of my bedroom in the corner.

1) how can I tell, hopefully without getting up there.

2) how can I make them go away. I don't really want to go up there routinely and fetch dead mice. It's a long crawl from the man hole to above my room. And I don't like dead creatures or spaces with spiders.

Ideas? They make noises all night.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Um you can probably smell, or look for droppings. We used to set the humane traps and then let them go in the bush, but we couldn't keep up with them and used poison. It was horrible
    Best to get rid of the problem ASAP.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i set baits and traps. rat poison is supposed to make them thirsty, and it's when they drink that they actually die. so theoretically they won't die in the roof, although i'm sure that now that i'm on infestation 4 that i've got a few dead ones up there.
    i can't bring myself to use a humane trap. that would involve them not dying. and me touching the trap with them alive in it. no. effing. way.

mine nest in a corner above the master bedroom. lots of fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Um if they're making scratching noises it's probably mice. My mum just sets a trap above the manhole, they run everywhere so you can catch them there, just attach a piece of string to the trap so they don't run off with it and for ease of disposal. I have never had a mouse problem, despite there being plagues in the area, but we have a pet snake. That keeps them away, they can smell it. So you could put snake droppings up there and they should vacate pretty quickly.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i set baits and traps. rat poison is supposed to make them thirsty, and it's when they drink that they actually die. so theoretically they won't die in the roof, although i'm sure that now that i'm on infestation 4 that i've got a few dead ones up there.
    i can't bring myself to use a humane trap. that would involve them not dying. and me touching the trap with them alive in it. no. effing. way.

mine nest in a corner above the master bedroom. lots of fun
    I almost cried when we caught them because it meant I had to pick the trap up, put it in the car, drive to the national park. Omg. I am shaking just thinking about it. Ugh ugh ugggggh

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't do it yourself, you could get a pest controller in. They can put a bait station up in the roof that should take care of the mice. It's a bit more expensive than dealing with them yourself but at least you don't have to worry about it and if they come back you'll be covered by a warranty for a period of time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inertia For This Useful Post:

smootch  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bait, bait, bait! They are a pest just as flys, spiders etc, I'm sure you wouldn't have any qualms killing those?!

Generally speaking they will seek light and water after eating bait so won't die in the roof - not always tho, but usually.

We live country near grain farming crops and always have them in plague proportions the only way we have kept on top is to bait, we put a few traps in the car garage buy trapping alone will never stop them - they say where there is 1 there is 20!

You should also work out where they have access into your home - we had a pest company come to do an inspection, they were getting in through where our air con went into the house, once that was fixed more inside!

Good luck I hate mice - read scream like a b1tch standing on top of a table if I see one!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

BarefootedMumma  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be careful if you have pets if you decide to bait. The bait are attractive to cats and dogs as well so they will eat them if they can get to them. The rat poison actually causes the blood to thin so much that it causes them to internally hemorrhage. It is a horrid and painful way for an animal to die. I saw one of my cats go through it after she ate some rat poison. It was a terrible experience. Getting a professional exterminator in will ensure that the baits are placed in secure places away from your pets or other animals that roam your neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fwithnall View Post
    Be careful if you have pets if you decide to bait. The bait are attractive to cats and dogs as well so they will eat them if they can get to them. The rat poison actually causes the blood to thin so much that it causes them to internally hemorrhage. It is a horrid and painful way for an animal to die. I saw one of my cats go through it after she ate some rat poison. It was a terrible experience. Getting a professional exterminator in will ensure that the baits are placed in secure places away from your pets or other animals that roam your neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    I second this!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Baiting seems to be the way to go then.

The mice are in the roof so I'll (read as make hubby) put the baits up there. My cat can't get up there and I doubt a neighbourhood pet can get in. I climbed up to have a look but didn't get past the man hole. I saw poo and spiders and ran down the ladder. I'm so brave.

Is there a particular bait that is better than others or encourages them to leave my roof before dying? I can't afford a professional.