+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Leeny is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    I HATE YOU JENNNNIFFFEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question Single parenting payment and centerlink - Living under the same roof?

I have a bit of a problem that I'm assuming someone here has been through that might be able to give me a bit of advice, or even clarification.. I'm very frustrated with centerlink at the moment.

Not long before Christmas, I made the decision to separate from my husband, but to complicate things a little further, we live with my parents. He only works part-time at the moment, and I'm looking for work to fit around my daughters school routine, its proving a little difficult. Anyhow, we're separated. Centerlink don't see us as separated while we're living under the same roof, although I did speak to a very helpful man on the phone this morning that told me that there is a piece of paper I can fill out that's called something like "separated but living under the same roof" or some jazz like that. He was very honest and open about it and said that hardly any applications get passed, and that it's VERY hard to prove there is no relationship while living under the one roof, and that centerlink make it VERY difficult, and the likelyhood of being accepted for such an application is slim.

I feel very stuck. I'm separated, but centerlink won't acknowledge so until one of us have a new dwelling. Right now, he can't afford to move out because he's working part-time and is due to have surgery sometime soon so will be out of commission for some time. *I* can't move out yet, because finding full time work that I can do while still being able to pick up my daughter from school etc is difficult and is taking some time. But I can't rely on him for income. He works 20 hours a week, I have my own bills to pay, he has his, and although he'd still help out with our bills etc, we will be living separate lives and it's unfair of me to rely on his pay like we usually do to pay our loans etc.

I don't see how I'm supposed be able to afford to move out, pay rent, pay all of our bills, and THEN be eligible to apply for single parenting payment. I guess I understand that it would seem rather suss for to people to live under the one roof, but surely we're not the only ones who have decided its best to stay put at least for a few weeks or a couple of months and co-parent out daughter until one of us can AFFORD to move.

I'm so stuck in limbo and I'm getting very frustrated that to centerlink, I'm not partnered, but I'm not single either. FRUSTATED.

Have any of you ladies done the whole separated but living under the same roof thing and successfully applied for SPP, or am I really doomed until I DO find a full-time job and get out, THEN be able to apply for SPP?

If you can't tell, I'm frustrated .. It's not about not working and bludging.. It's about being able to actually survive and support myself until I'm able to find work that fits in with our life routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a friend go through that, they had a house together but neither could move at the time. They filled out the form and they had to get sworn affidavits to go with the application.

I can see why Centrelink hardly approve people as there are a lot of dishonest people that claim SPP when they are not entitled to it, but it ruins it for the legitimate people like you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Firstly i'm sorry that you and your DH have seperated and i understand the frustration of the situation. I enquired about it too and basically you'd need stat decs to back up that you have seperated, close all joint accounts and provide evidence of this if needed, they may even inspect your home to see that you are not sharing a bedroom together, other than that it is really hard, but hopefully you can can it approved.

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, It must be an awful situation to be in.

A year or two back my ex and I broke up and continued living together for awhile. I was lucky enough to get 'seperated under the same roof' single parent payment. I explained to the woman I spoke to that my ex was an addict and was refusing to get help, I'd had enough but was stuck as he refused to move and we were both on the lease. She gave me 6 months on seperated under the same roof to get things in order.

I would call and ask to speak to a social worker about applying, explain the situation and perhaps offer for your parents to sign something saying they can assure them that you are in fact seperated.

They'll ask you a lot of questions like do you share a bedroom, do you still have sex, do you share a fridge, do you share household chores, etc. It's best if you say that everything is completely seperate. I said we still divided chores to make things easier and the woman going through the application said that normally they'd expect us to be living completely seperately under the same roof. Something like, if you're still doing shared laundry together that's still seen as you both supporting each other iykwim?

Anyway, I would definitely apply for the payment and ask if there is anything you can do to reassure them of your seperation (ie friends/family swearing that you're no longer together).

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I applied for this payment too and was knocked back. I was told that if I applied for it and was knocked back I would be flagged as someone trying to fraud Centrelink (I don't actually think there is much truth to that, just one of the many tales they like to spin)

Mine was knocked back because I couldn't prove we were not having sex and I couldn't prove I was finacially independant (um duh!!!!). I was stuck living with my ex for a year, it was awful.

I also asked how I was meant to prove that we were not in a sexual relationship and was told by the harridan in charge of my application that Centrelink was 'unable to actually tell you how to prove it'. I have mor recently found out that you can prove it by showing them around the house and that you have two separate beds.

Also you have to split everything up, you cannpt be seen to do anything together, even as far as not being in the same room when the other is and not doing things for each other like cook a meal or wash a sock.

It was incredibly demoralising and I still have a small panic attack when I see the horrid woman at Centrelink.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Leeny. I agree with trying to get an appointment with centrelinks social worker. They can be pretty helpful at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I did it and had absolutely no issues. They didn't even bother checking my references that i listed who are meant to confirm my story that we had seperated.
    I saw a social worker at Centrelink and it all just happened from there. He organised my interview with a Centrelink worker then and there and my payments were set up straight away.

I think seeing a social worker is the way to go. You can explain your circumstance fully and they can add notes to your file to help your application along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm so sorry Leeny, I had no idea

I hope you can get something sorted very quickly for you and G

Leeny is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    I HATE YOU JENNNNIFFFEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much guys... I guess I'll ring and try and get an appointment with a social worker.. Do I just contact centrelink like normal on the phone and ask for an appointment, or do I need to go into an office?

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's probably better to go into the office, although I did do it over the phone so whatever works for you.

Good luck and let us know how you go!