+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting rid of the comforter

I could really use some advice on what strategies to use to get my DD 2.5 years to give up her comforters. I never wanted my child to have a comforter but as a baby I wrapped her in muslin wraps and she would escape from them and cuddle and suck on them, so now she uses them as a comforter still . She only really has them at sleep time , in the car on long trips or when she is sick. I hate them and think she is too old to have them. So should I just go cold turkey and take them away? I feel that I am too soft and will give in because I can't stand her crying for ages . I have tried talking to her about it but the idea that she will have to give them up just makes her want them more . Would greatly appreciate advice from others.

Sent from my iPhone

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My just 4 yr old still has her blankie, for sleeping only or like you said, when she's sick. I'm planning on letting her outgrow it in her own time, it brings her such comfort, who am I to take it way from her.

But I know we all have different ideas on these things
    What about a "swap" where she swaps the wrap for a soft cuddly toy of her choice maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    My just 4 yr old still has her blankie, for sleeping only or like you said, when she's sick. I'm planning on letting her outgrow it in her own time, it brings her such comfort, who am I to take it way from her.

But I know we all have different ideas on these things
    What about a "swap" where she swaps the wrap for a soft cuddly toy of her choice maybe?
    This. Coop has had a favourite giraffe we call raffy since he was 6mths old. He recently went through a stage where he decided he didnt want raffy so i put it away for him on his table. Raffy is now back to bedtimes.

I believe taking it away from him will only cause him distress.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (29-12-2011)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is almost 7 and has been sleeping with "Sam Dog" since he was a toddler. He doesn't need him anymore, but when he is sad or bummed about something, he has Sam Dog for a cuddle. I could never have taken him away.

We do joke about his future wife having a problem sharing the bed with Sam Dog, but really...he will grow out of it in his own good time. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm not really one to judge, but what is the harm in letting her keep it? Do we ever get too old to need comfort? Perhaps you need to consider her feelings about it, rather than yours? She's only 2 - still a wee little thing in the world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD gave hers to the dummy fairy for some new little babies that needed them. We put them in the letter box before she went to bed. She had one in bed (it always fell out she hardly ever sucked it) I snuck in and took her last dummy and left a new doll from the dummy fairy.I threw them all in the bin so I wasnt tempted to give in. In the morning she saw they were gone from the letter box. She was fine with it all. I think she only asked once for a dummy but then reminded me that new babies had them. Worked fantastically for me.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if she was just cuddling it but sucking on it all night surely can't be good for her teeth can it? she is asleep at the moment and still has a good corner of the wrap firmly in her mouth . Plus I am forever washing them ( she has about 6) as I can't stand them being soggy and stinky.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hansmum View Post
    My DD gave hers to the dummy fairy for some new little babies that needed them. We put them in the letter box before she went to bed. She had one in bed (it always fell out she hardly ever sucked it) I snuck in and took her last dummy and left a new doll from the dummy fairy.I threw them all in the bin so I wasnt tempted to give in. In the morning she saw they were gone from the letter box. She was fine with it all. I think she only asked once for a dummy but then reminded me that new babies had them. Worked fantastically for me.
    Good luck
    Just wondering how old was your DD to understand this concept?

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never remove a comforter. Bub will give it up one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i wouldnt worry about it too much, as she gets older she'll use them less and less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 4 and still has her "blankie" and sucks her thumb.
    The sucking thing isnt an issue. DD has been to the dentist twice now to have her teeth checked and they said it isnt an issue at all unless the she sucks her thumb after the 1st lot of teeth fall out. So you shouldnt worry about you DD's teeth.

DD doesnt use her blanket at kindy, she will take it in the car but unless she is sick she will leave it in there. She keeps talking about how when she goes to prep she wont be able to take her blankie or suck her thumb.
    I sure DD will grow out of it in her own time