+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Breastfeeding is hard work at first but much easier in the long term, no washing of bottles, no preparing feeds, nothing to take with you when you go out.

Don't feel you have to cover up when you go out if you don't want to, breastfeeding in public is your legal right.

Take lots of photos.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

laurea  (08-01-2012),proud-mum  (13-01-2012),SugarSkull  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your newborn is in a bassinet, put the bassinet in the living areas during the day. Helps bub learn to sleep through noise, and also helps them get the night time/day time thing quicker (ie being awake a bit during the day and just feeding then back to sleep during the night ).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox in Sox For This Useful Post:

laurea  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The ones that resonate

- was to listen to motherly instincts not stupid books (especially Tizzie halls SOS and baby wise)

- a baby wont starve them self, but in the same way who are we to tell if there tummy is full or not.

- Go with the flow, they are not robots they even though they are teeny tiny ARE human beings!!!! Don't squash all that personality out by not nurturing and listening to them

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

laurea  (08-01-2012),proud-mum  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you simply cannot breastfeed, do not force yourself, and do not listen to anyone who tries to force you. Try, by all means, but if it's too painful, or you get too distressed or anxious, stop.
    There's no shame in stopping, and you're not a failure.

I tried very hard and produced only blood. I kept trying because the lac' consultant kept encouraging me. Nipples got infected and put an end to all of that.
    If I had stopped when I wanted to stop, I would have been far less stressed, angry at myself, resentful at her refusal to latch {I would have too, all she was suckling was blood}, anxious and fearful at being "one of those mothers"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (08-01-2012),SugarSkull  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Go with the flow, they are not robots they even though they are teeny tiny ARE human beings!!!! Don't squash all that personality out by not nurturing and listening to them
    I love this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

shinebrite  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    If you simply cannot breastfeed, do not force yourself, and do not listen to anyone who tries to force you. Try, by all means, but if it's too painful, or you get too distressed or anxious, stop.
    There's no shame in stopping, and you're not a failure.

I tried very hard and produced only blood. I kept trying because the lac' consultant kept encouraging me. Nipples got infected and put an end to all of that.
    If I had stopped when I wanted to stop, I would have been far less stressed, angry at myself, resentful at her refusal to latch {I would have too, all she was suckling was blood}, anxious and fearful at being "one of those mothers"
    This

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Some great advice here from everyone

From my experience, the moment I stopped stressing over every little thing and learnt how exhale again and trusted myself, things got so much easier! Don't watch the clock, don't read the books, just feel your way.

With advice from others, most of the time you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't - bf or ff, cloth or disposable, cot or bedshare, etc. Just do what YOU feel is right for YOUR baby and don't worry about what others think!

Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Midwives and the ABA will tell you that if your doing it right, it will not hurt and should not feel uncomfortable. This is not my experience at all!
    I fed DS1 until 12 months and am feeding DS2 13 weeks currently, and to start with it hurts like hell! The midwives and MCHN AND lactation consultant all said both boys were attached well, even so it hurt for about 6 weeks.
    I thought I was just doing it wrong and would of given up if I were not so damn stubborn, but turns out all was working as it should, I think it just takes time for your nipples to adjust. So stick in there, it does get easier would be my advice!
    But now it's just so easy and convenient I wouldn't have it any other way, makes babies ultra portable!
    Couldn't agree more!! As soon as we hit 8 weeks, things just clicked and it's been smooth sailing since then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Lol

Mine is the 'can't spoil a baby with attention' & 'cant over feed a breast fed baby'

And that Mumma knows best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Midwives and the ABA will tell you that if your doing it right, it will not hurt and should not feel uncomfortable. This is not my experience at all!
    I fed DS1 until 12 months and am feeding DS2 13 weeks currently, and to start with it hurts like hell! The midwives and MCHN AND lactation consultant all said both boys were attached well, even so it hurt for about 6 weeks.
    I thought I was just doing it wrong and would of given up if I were not so damn stubborn, but turns out all was working as it should, I think it just takes time for your nipples to adjust. So stick in there, it does get easier would be my advice! I'd rather give birth than go through the early weeks of feeding any day!
    But now it's just so easy and convenient I wouldn't have it any other way, makes babies ultra portable!

I so agree with this!! I was stubborn too and persisted with breastfeeding after losing a child to SIDS and breastfed successfully a few more times after that and i can tell you it hurt for about 2 weeks and then not at all- i was absoultely fine.

It's such BS when they say if you're doing it right it doesn't hurt! So annoying. No wonder so many women give up thinking they can't get it right