+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The parallels between making love and giving birth are clear, not only in terms of passion and love, but also because we need essentially the same conditions for both experiences: privacy and safety. -Sarah Buckley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

proud-mum  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do your pelvic floor exercises every time you stop at the traffic lights...
    Last edited by Ellewood; 07-01-2012 at 18:02.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-01-2012),SugarSkull  (08-01-2012),Witwicky  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    The parallels between making love and giving birth are clear, not only in terms of passion and love, but also because we need essentially the same conditions for both experiences: privacy and safety. -Sarah Buckley
    I have to disagree with this.... my DS was born in a car with about 20 bystanders watching... it will still be a magical moment for me and we bonded well from the start. I will always remember that people literally clapped and cheered when he was born...
    At no stage did I feel vulnerable or out of control and never undignified, I think it is what you make it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I hope for many of those people, it would of been the highlight of their day, maybe even their week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Throw the books away. Get to know YOUR baby, he or she is a whole new prson, there has not been a book written about him or her. You will make mistakes, you and your family will learn valuable lessons from those mistakes. Take the time to really look at your child. You will only be changing nappies for a short time. Relax, enjoy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-01-2012),laurea  (08-01-2012),proud-mum  (13-01-2012)

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Midwives and the ABA will tell you that if your doing it right, it will not hurt and should not feel uncomfortable. This is not my experience at all!
    I fed DS1 until 12 months and am feeding DS2 13 weeks currently, and to start with it hurts like hell! The midwives and MCHN AND lactation consultant all said both boys were attached well, even so it hurt for about 6 weeks.
    I thought I was just doing it wrong and would of given up if I were not so damn stubborn, but turns out all was working as it should, I think it just takes time for your nipples to adjust. So stick in there, it does get easier would be my advice! I'd rather give birth than go through the early weeks of feeding any day!
    But now it's just so easy and convenient I wouldn't have it any other way, makes babies ultra portable!
    I so agree commit to a minimum of 6 weeks if your determined to give it a real chance! I BF my 1st for 14 months so when dd2 came along o thought it would be a piece of cake but 4 weeks in I was soo ready to give up!! Now nearly 8 months later we are still going strong!!

Also set your self up with a snack and a bottle of water (you get soo thirsty!!) and tele or whatever and dont worry about anything else.

Also when people pop over ask them to make you a cuppa not the other way around!
    Also take ALL offers of help with housework/cooking etc!!

And let DP do stuff his way, dont tell him his doing it wrong even if he is. He'll be less likely to help you next time if you do! Trust me I learnt this from experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    Take socks off before you change pooey nappy!
    Oh Gosh, I learned that the hard way with my first! His adorable tiny pair of booties, his first time wearing them. Words can't describe how disappointed I was!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you have a boy, make sure you point the penis DOWN for nappy changes

Also, leave the foreskin alone, don't attempt to retract it to clean it or for any other reason - it will retract in its own time, which might not be for several years.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

laurea  (08-01-2012),SugarSkull  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are breast feeding, give bubs a feed when they are getting vaccinations so they can use you for comfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some practical breastfeeding tips that I learnt-bf my DD 6 months and still going:

- maternity bras are horrible enough so buy good quality ones
    - breastfeeding singlets offer you no privacy, buy the tank style. Lovable do awesome ones. Much more discrete and can undo bra etc and leave breast covered until last second.
    - sheets tops over breastfeeding tanks are good for extra coverage.
    - don't be scared to use creams on your nipples from the very start- the hospital didnt advocate as they were all focused on technique being good to avoid pain but a couple of sneaky nurses said cream helps and it did. Technique takes time for you and baby and it hurts until then.
    - gel pads are also awesome. Loved them better than cream.
    - download on your smart phone books, songs, movies to watch when feeding and accept you may be on the couch all day with your breasts out- it does eventually slow down and become easier.
    - get a lactation consultant to come to your home as soon as you are out and have a list of questions. Cost about $150 but so worth it.
    - always remember baby comes to breast, not breast to baby.
    - educate your husband/partner on breastfeeding, he really needs to support you.
    - if doctor has issue with baby weight see your lactation consultant. If mix feeding is really necessary then there are ways of doing it but a doctor doesn't know enough to give you the advice.
    - it takes time to get comfortable feeding in public, shopping centers are great as they have specific area. Picnics are also good as it's just your family/friends with you, cheap way to do catch ups.
    - find a mothers group through the ABA, it's nice to talk to other mums going through the same thing.