+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much breastmilk should a "healthy" 4 month old be getting per feed?

Hello there lassies (probably a few laddies too!),

I expressed for the first time in a while the other day, the first time since my production has settled down. And I only got 50mls out of a full breast until it was completely empty.

It made me worry because DD4mnths only takes one breast per feed, even if I offer her both, she'll suckle for a minute or so and then refuse. I used to get 40mls out of a breast after she'd already fed on that one! And she used to drink 80mls at least of ebm. She feeds every 3-4hrs or so with usually one feed at night and a bit of comfort suckling here and there. She's rather a good size lol, and she's a content and happy baby most of the time. But I just worry that 50mls is not enough per feed!

Anyone have any resources, tables etc. on required daily milk intake??

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's normal for it to be hard to express after a few months as your supply regulates, what you can pump isnt a good indication of how much you bub is drinking straight from the breast,is there a reason your trying to gauge how much bubs getting or are you pumping for a reason? I have plenty of links I'm just not sure I can post them here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a wedding this week and if possible I would like to leave her around the corner with my grandmother. If she won't take the bottle it's no problem to pop home for feeds. But it would be nice, since she's been permanently attached to my boobs for 4 months and we haven't been apart basically at all, to have a bit of a night off just this once - even though it will KILLLLLLLLLLLL ME!

So what I'm pumping might not be what she's actually getting??? She's not on solids yet, so I figure she must be full enough since she's stretching out her feeds and is settled and happy inbetween feeds?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A baby can extract more milk than even the most high tech breast pumps Pumping is definitely not a good indication of how much she eats per feed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, my pumping ability was never very good but i exclusively breastfed til 6 months and still breastfeeding at 20 months. Babies are much more effective than a pump, and breasts are more able to let down to a baby than a pump.

Pumping in the morning can be more effective, and you can combine milk from different pump sessions as long as the milk is at the same temp. If you pump once a day this week, you should have enough to leave with bub for your event. If you have a manual pump, chuck it in your bag cos you might get full if you are away from bub for awhile and need to relieve your breasts.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lovely - that has given me peace of mind that she's getting enough. I did have oversupply issues in the beginning as well - probably why I was getting so much milk after she fed!

Thanks ladies! What would we do without bubhub?! x

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The others have already said what I would

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app