View Poll Results: Is 18mths-2yrs a good age to toilet train?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely. Most children are ready around then

1 4.76%
  • Yes, probably. It could be done without too many problems.

9 42.86%
  • No, definitely not. Most children are not ready then

3 14.29%
  • No, probable not. It's unlikely that it could be done without major stress all round.

8 38.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD started at 12 months then over winter we both got lazy. She TT before 2, one day I took her nappy off and never put it back on. DD was never distressed and happily used the potty or big girl toilet.

I personally HATE Nappies and hate changing them. I don't see how disposables is easier then TT?
    Last edited by waterlily; 29-12-2011 at 05:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As soon as my dd could walk we put her on the potty just to sit. We put her on at regular times and when we went. She never actually went till she was 22 months and asked to go and could tell us what she was about to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think 18 mths -2 yrs is a good time for TT. My DD was about 18 months when we started - we had the potty for a while before starting and she would scoot around the floor sitting on it. But once we got started she really got the hang of it very quickly. She was day tt'd by 20 months and we started the night training just before she turned 2. I am sure she would have got that fast as well but we were staying with my folks for 3 months waiting for DS to arrive and we had a lot of upheaval so I went back to night nappies for a while until we flew home to Darwin then tt once home. She was totally nappy free by 2.5.
    DS was a bit later (2.5) and he started with the night times - he didn't want a nappy one night so I figured why not. We started in sept and have never looked back. He still has the odd accident but really grasped the concept very fast too.

I personally think there is a window of opportunity with TT and if you miss it then the process is harder. So if your LO is showing an interest/signs of readiness then go with it.
    I found that a few days with no Nappy or undies really helped the kids see the cause and effect of going for a wee - as opposed to being in a nappy where the wee is whisked away once the realised "oh that's a wee" it fell into place - still took time to master holding on until they were on the loo/potty but the concept was there.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is great but concerning - my cousin has a 3.5 year old DD who is still firmly in nappies. It seemed strange to me to see her changing her, & after reading this thread I do think it's late for her to not even be trying to tt her DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becandabub View Post
    This thread is great but concerning - my cousin has a 3.5 year old DD who is still firmly in nappies. It seemed strange to me to see her changing her, & after reading this thread I do think it's late for her to not even be trying to tt her DD.
    A girl I went to school with only just TT her 5 and 4 yos. No medical condition other then laziness. The only thing that MADE her do it was her primary school refused to take her girls while still in Nappies

3 is the norm for a lot of people but sometimes it's the parents fault not the children's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds was 2.5 and trained in a week and was out of night nappies 2 weeks later. I really think that those that are trained early are more toilet timed than trained. I have also heard that children if they ate pressured too early can have bed wetting problems for many years to follow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter asked to go from 20ish months. She wasn't toilet timed. She self trained, she was a good talker and told us she needed to go. She watched us on the loo. She was out of night nappies on her third birthday. It has now been over six months, only two bed wet nights. Some kids just have an easier time with it than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really depends on the child. But after trying from around 2 years old to tt dd with no success and nothing but stress, I don't plan on trying to tt ds until he is 3. Something suddenly clicked with dd when she was 3 1/2 years old and now at 4 1/2 she has been fully toilet trained for a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was 2.5 when he decided he wanted to use the toilet- not a potty. He had moved up to the 2-3 year room at daycare a few months before and one day said 'no, no nappy' and off he went in his undies. He wouldn't let me put him in a night nappy either or pull ups (they're for babies) and in 2 years we have only had 3 overnight 'accidents' and maybe 4 daytime accidents which have been because he held on whilst he played. It was an easy process for us because he was ready and was instigating it. Daycare was fantastic for this reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After reading this thread, I am going to try and tt my 25 month old. Hes non verbal but knows the makaton sign for toilet. Been showing all the signs of wanting to tt but my childcare put me off it by saying that until he can SAY 'hey I need to go to the toilet' he wont get it.