View Poll Results: Is 18mths-2yrs a good age to toilet train?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely. Most children are ready around then

1 4.76%
  • Yes, probably. It could be done without too many problems.

9 42.86%
  • No, definitely not. Most children are not ready then

3 14.29%
  • No, probable not. It's unlikely that it could be done without major stress all round.

8 38.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel that the child must be ready (in that they need to be able to feel the urge, and make that association with the toilet) but that it will make their journey easier if we teach them what that means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I feel that the child must be ready (in that they need to be able to feel the urge, and make that association with the toilet) but that it will make their journey easier if we teach them what that means.
    But most are ready prior to 2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    But most are ready prior to 2?
    Most are ready before their 2nd birthday, some soon after, and some are not ready until 4 or even 5. Excluding sn children of course, who often remain in a nappy for life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To break it down, I have been in this field for most of my life since 1996 apart from stints wherei worked in disabilities or in schools, or the year and a bit when I stayed home with my daughter and consistently around 70% were fully day trained before 2, with a further 5% day trained by 2.5 and the rest all by their 4th birthday. Which is why, despite the majority being tt by 2, I tell parents it is within normal realms for them to day train up to 4 and night train up to 12.

I hope all that makes sense, I hit the wine tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oha no share a book I wonder if yur experience is specific to your area? Cause we have been through a few child cares and none of them would have similar stats, it is usually 2.5 when they are starting, certainly not in the baby (up to 2) rooms...
    However... Having just stumbled across this article http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/annachristierpt10.pdf
    I am now interested to read a bit more on it all.... We have left our ds to his own devices assuming he will do it when he was ready, but this really made me think.
    Interesting. Luckily I don't mind admitting when I am wrong! On bh anyway, don't tell my DH lol.
    Last edited by twotrunks; 28-12-2011 at 20:18. Reason: Was wrong lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

share a book  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in a warmer climate, and that also excludes any child with a disability.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think so... DD1 was toilet trained by 2 (and at night by 2 and a half)... DD2 a bit later at 2 and a half, but that was because we had a bit going on so I didn't really start as early. DD1 was also in cloth nappies, and so were her little friends and they were both fully TT by 18 months.

I seem to hear most people say they toilet train around 3, but Mum says when we were younger pretty much all kids were TT by 2. I know it depends on the child, but I think lots are probably ready by start by then...

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Phone dying...... I'm curious too so I'll come back later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds def was not ready before 3 yrs. I tried when he turned 2 (pressure from mil as thats when kids were trained in those days) but he just was not getting it. His verbal skills were not very good and he just kept wetting his pants constantly (up to 5 times a day). When i put him on potty he wouldnt do anything either. Gave it a good wk than stopped, dedided not worth upsetting ds about or stressing myself over either. I tried again at 2 nd half, gave it a wk same thing so stopped. Tried again when ds turned 3 and it has been so much easier.

I think because his verbal/communication skills are so much better and he just seemed willing/it clicked with him that you wee on tiolet. Im so glad i waited and did not push the issue as it has been fairly easy nd painless with rarely an accident.

Also the best peice of advice i read on toilet training is "we dont tiolet train children, they toilet train themselves when they are ready. We just help and give them the oppurtunity to use tiolet when they need/want to."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We are in a warmer climate, and that also excludes any child with a disability.
    How do you go about approaching parents on TT we have had parents in the past who refuse to TT or allow us to ditch nappies when they are 4 or even 5. There is always a handful of parents we need to say in oct hey they are almost four and heading to the preschool room we really need you guys to think about TT, there really isn't nappy change facilities in the older room... We even have toilet trained children with parents still insisting on nappies
    ime our under two parents are not really willing to start TT until they hit the 2-3 room.

Op - my dd Started wanting to TT when she was 18 months. I think she was so interested as she saw toileting as a way to get into the toddler room lol. I sat her on all the time and she refuse to wear nappies but she wasnt really getting it, sporadically going. We ditched the nappies and she took a week to start going. We put nappy pants on her for long car trips which tend to keep her dry as she refuses to wet them but she will have an accident otherwise. Even in the morning or after we dress her in her pj she will still go the toilet and won't go in her nappy.

I've seen some parents at work start at 6 months even.

I say 18-2.5 is a generally a good time but there is always exceptions
    Last edited by Little-Pink-Hen; 28-12-2011 at 23:53.