View Poll Results: Is 18mths-2yrs a good age to toilet train?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely. Most children are ready around then

1 4.76%
  • Yes, probably. It could be done without too many problems.

9 42.86%
  • No, definitely not. Most children are not ready then

3 14.29%
  • No, probable not. It's unlikely that it could be done without major stress all round.

8 38.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is 18mths-2 years a good age to toilet train?

I'm curious as to what people think about this, as a general rule.

Of course it depends on the child, and when the child is ready, but I think that usually people toilet train between 2-3 years of age in Australia (or thereabouts), whereas I often hear older people say that pre-disposable nappies children were generally toilet trained between 18mths and 2.

So do you think we are training them later just because disposable nappies make it more convenient?

Do you think that we now have the perception that children pre-2 aren't 'ready' to be toilet trained, when it used to be commonly accepted that they were?

Do you think it's possible to toilet train a child under 2 without too much distress on all sides?

My thoughts... Erm... Well, that's kind of why I'm curious to see what others think! DD is 18mths, and showing 'some' signs of readiness (tells me when she's done a poo, very interested in the toilet and potty, and will sit on them) and in other ways is not ready (never done anything when sat on toilet or potty, and hasn't told me BEFORE doing anything in her nappy - always after, and seems happy in nappies - announcing 'nappy time' when she needs changing).

So I'm thinking that it will be easier all round to wait until she is older and can understand the concept better. It's not something that I'm stressed about, but it got me thinking about 'the old days' when children were commonly trained at a younger age, and it wasn't thought of as difficult.

What are your thoughts?

ETA: I haven't put an 'other' option on the poll, as I'm not looking for the 'depends on the child/ maybe' reaction. I'm more interested in what you would pick as a 'general/ for most kids' response. Arghhh and I noticed a typo in the poll... Shame shame...
    Last edited by Guest654; 28-12-2011 at 11:40. Reason: explaining poll

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    at my work we TT in the 15 month to 2 year room then they are all out of nappies by the time they move up to the 2-3 year room. With my own I TT at 13 months with her out of nappies even for trips to the shop or whever by the time she hit 18 months. Of course they are not all the same but we have no problems at my work with stress nor were there any problems with my own when she was TT.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - share a book! If you don't mind me asking - how do you do it? My DD is 18mths, and is a great talker, but I don't think she fully 'gets' that you do something on the potty/ toilet. I take her with me when I go, and she happily announces "wee" when she hears it (wonderful in shopping centres), but she has never yet done anything on the toilet for me to reward.

When I ask her 'do you want to go in your nappy or the toilet?' she always says 'go in toilet', but when I sit her there she does nothing and then says 'get down'.

I would love to have her out of nappies if I knew how

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep - possible. My dd trained in summer when she was 2.5 years it was a week effort and done, but my boy was far more interested and we started at 21 months - he is 25 months now and I would still say we are training - I mostly have to take him the toilet and we have an accident every few days - but not turning back now and he breaks his heart if I want to put a nappy on him. Its just more of a concerted effort for him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We take their nappy off them then take them 2 at a time to the toilet. They catch on fas t - usually within a week they are fully out of nappies . No tears or stress.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We take their nappy off them then take them 2 at a time to the toilet. They catch on fas t - usually within a week they are fully out of nappies . No tears or stress.
    Wow - sounds like you could go into business toilet training kids if you have such great success! Wish I could crack it that easily

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now, I'm derailing my own thread a little, but I have another question

What about if they don't do anything on the toilet? Or if they ask to get down once they're on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry about the short response. To elaborate, we take them out of nappies and put undies on them. Inside we leave them in undies but put them in shorts, etc for outside. We take them to the toilet every half hour and sit with them for a few minutes. We take them off if they are worried and let them watch the other children. They mostly catch on fast, although we do have some who are in a nappy even when they move up. It must be fairly common because the ones who start daycare around the 2nd birthday who have never been in care before are also generally out of nappies. It makes no difference if they are an only child, youngest, oldest, whatever, they tend to already be out of nappies by about 2. Of course that is a generalisation, but that's what the OP wants.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Wow - sounds like you could go into business toilet training kids if you have such great success! Wish I could crack it that easily
    It's prett uh much what I get paid for lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's prett uh much what I get paid for lol.
    I imagine it's more than a full time job training a room full of 18 month olds!

That ,is the earliest I have heard of kids being trained on masse though - I thought the general 'rule of thumb' in child cares was before the 3.5 year old rooms.

So do you prescribe to the theory that kids can be trained and it's just a matter of persistence rather than the child itself needing to be absolutely ready? Some days I think my boy has the hang of it and I get pleased because he actually announces he needs to go, and other days he will wet his pants without a care or even acknowledgment that he has - and I wonder if he was a bit too young, but I'm no going back now...
    Last edited by Hannahly; 28-12-2011 at 19:16.