+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to find charity work?

I'd like to get involved in some sort of volunteer/ charity work, but I'm finding it hard to know where to start.

I'm sponsoring a child through World Vision, but I'd also like to do something closer to home.

I can't commit to regular time slots, but could volunteer time on an ad hoc basis.

It sounds really stupid to say that I don't know where to start, but I don't! I've looked at the volunteer positions on charity websites, but they all seem to be heavy time commitments - which is not possible with DD.

My company partners with a charity, and I help them to raise funds/ do street collections, but now that I am not in the office for the most part I have a little more time to do things 'here and there'. Anyone know where to start?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try asking your local vinnies or salvos. Try the wwf website. I think they have one offs like tree planting. Or perhaps do something with dd like befriending someone at a nursing home.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Red Cross? Oxfam? Or contact your local hospital/nursing homes--in a lot of areas you can volunteer to spend time with people who don't have family visit them....not a "charity" as such, but a nice thing to do

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They found me I think :/

I do a bit for the Cancer Council. I do a bit for an animal foster care unit. I took on a kitten from one and now find myself involved with them in other ways lol. I didn't intentionally become involved in any of it but it happened.

Otherwise you can raise money or awareness for a cause which I also do but that's all anonymous. Not sure if you wanted it to be like that or if you wanted to put your name to it in some way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    even volunteering your time in an op shop would be nice they are always asking !!

or as someone else said visit elderly or sick people in hospital to cheer them up

volunteer at meals for wheels delivering food

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    There are a fair few volunteering websites out there. Seek has a page where you can search volunteering positions.
    There are state based pages as well. I think a bit of googling would be the way to go.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone so far - some great ideas. I did have a look at the Seek page, and I have done some googling too, but so far most of the positions I've found have been ones where you have to commit to regular hours.

I called Make-a-Wish a little while ago, to ask if I could be involved as a volunteer, but they said that (at that time) they didn't need anyone in my area but donations were welcome. I'm happy to donate (and I do), but was looking for something where I could be a little more involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.redcross.org.au/community...volunteer.aspx

which organisations do you like? CFA, red cross, smith family.... they often have volunteer sections on their website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    canteen charity I enquire. with a while ago and they sent me info on a few events I could go to and help like folding all the bandanas etc may be worth emailing or ringing some

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mango monkey View Post
    I think most charities would be happy to have you for whatever hours you're avaliable!!
    There's http://www.volunteer.com.au/index.asp, which is the SEEK volunteer site, I was actually just looking to see if there's something I can do
    I was going to recommend this website as well ^^ You can set your preferences, and they will email through upcoming volunteer jobs to suit