+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default So overwhelmed!

So our wedding is booked for August 2012 and so far I've booked venue, reception, DJ/MC, hairdresser, sourced cake and that is all. I have a 4 month old and a 2.5 yr old and trying to find the time to research/meet suppliers etc, doing all the running around is getting so overwhelming. I haven't even looked at dresses because I wanted to lose my baby weight before trying on, also my bridesmaid in same situation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with planning a wedding and can offer any advice?

Thanks for reading..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in October 2012 & I've booked reception, celebrant, photographer, have my bridesmaids dresses & that's it. I have dress fitting in January to pick & order a dress.

It's hard to get motivated, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was married last year.
    The internet is your friend. I organised everything online.
    You still need:
    flowers
    invites
    cars
    dresses
    decorations inc centrepieces etc
    What does your venue package include? I'd keep it simple, get some pretty candle holders off eBay or something for tables. These can be jazzed up easily with table scatters (I had little acrylic "diamonds" that looked lovely!)
    If the venue provides them, chaircovers look good, but can be exxy to hire if not included- shop around online.
    Grab a magazine for flower ideas and pop into local florists for quotes.
    Use magazines to pick hairstyles and makeup ideas for your trial. Get your dress organised with at least 12 weeks to go before the wedding- it can always get taken in
    I cannot stress enough how much easier online shopping will make this. I even got my guest book, ring pillow and signing pen online!
    Invites can be $$$ too. Have you got ideas for what you'd like? DH did ours (he's a designer-let me know if you need one ) and we wanted them VERY simple- a DL size card, no fance stick on bits (I DO NOT have that level of patience LOL).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Facebook is good too.

I work in weddings and I've got a group of girls who all do something different (invitations, cakes, cars, decor) and we all cross promote. Saves time for brides researching.

Check out the people you have already booked and see if they are in some groups with other supplies. saves time weeding out the crap ones too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I organised our overseas wedding in 3 months online. Found a venue, a caterer, bought alcohol online and had it delivered to a friend's place in said country, found a flower grower and kept the flowers simple, decided on how I wanted the tables set up and bought bulk solid candles for down the middle of the long tables. Found a dj and band online and listened to their stuff via youtube. I kept it really simple but it was elegant. I made the invites over 2 nights with the help of a friend and a glass of wine and that was it. I found a dress (2nd hand) that could be taken in and I sent my bridesmaid a picture of the dress I was hoping she would wear. She liked it so I bought it and sent it. She had it adjusted and it was all good.
    I think if time is a factor, keep thinks elegant and simple and ask for her help from others. Most people love to be included in preparations. It makes them feel needed! Also, be realistic. Do you need this or that? Will it really matter if....? If I had this instead of that would it really matter? I couldn't get any wedding cars that my dh and I could agree on. I didn't want to spend hundreds on cars that I didnt really love so I caught a taxi. Nobody saw my arrival as they were inside and my dh had been at the pub with his mates beforehand so a taxi suited them fine. I wanted the flower itself (tulips) rather than the bouquet so I bought the flowers and tied them together with a simple ribbon. Cheap, easy and I knew exactly what they would look like- no effort required. Make a list and work through it. Good luck. You can choose whether it is an exciting process or a stressful one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you get mil or your mum to look after the kids for a day or two and just do a mega research day? You have got plenty of time so don't stress. Is there other people other than your bridesmaid that could do some research for you. Eg my Gran looked for a good flower supplier for me, she loved being able to help an be involved!
    Good luck and have fun!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister's wedding is in October. She has venue, hair, photographer, videographer and that's it. Her fiancé has picked his groomsmen. She has me and has narrowed her other down to three. While she doesn't have babies to work around she does work in an exceedingly busy emergency department and spends any time she has off either cleaning her house or asleep. She has a week off mid January and is planning to start looking for wedding dresses.

While I don't have much advice other than the Internet (I used it to narrow everything down to 3 choices and worked from there, occasionally needing to find another 3 options) and recruit help from family, friends or a professional service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm getting married in just over 8 weeks eeek and I also have a 5 month old and a 2 1/2 year old.
    We got out band, photographer and videographer in a package - they were recommended by our venue and we checked out there stuff online
    Celebrant we met with on a week night at 8pm so MIL watched my DS and I just bought my dd with us
    Flowers are organised, venue has been booked since 09 as they have a waiting list unmm I ordered my invites off eBay (they still haven't come yet, freaking out just a little bit) hair dressers is my step sisters friend so that's sorted, cake is organised by the venue as we are having a cheese wheel tower. Still have to organise cars, make up, bridesmaids dresses and suits eek
    The dress was the hardest for me as the dressers I liked needed to be ordered 6 months in advance yet I was pregnant so couldn't try it in but didn't want to buy a dress without trying it on. I ended up going there when my DD was 7 days old. I couldn't find a baby sister so I had to bring my kids with me but it wasn't a problem I had my two sisters and mum with me. They got my dress to fit me at the size I was when I tried it on as they said its always easy to take a dress in rather then out. As it happens I've lost close to 20kgs since then and they are taking my dress in from a 12 to an 8 no problems. So my biggest advice would be to sort out your dress ASAP. Don't worry about losing weight you have dress fittings several times in the weeks leading up to the wedding
    Anything that the venture can organise for you like decorations cake etc get them to do it it will really take the headache out of all also ask them for a list of preferred suppliers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg my autocorrect makes me appear illiterate. It's meant to say venue not venture