+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Homemade presents

OK so I'm gonna get hung out to dry for this but...

does anyone else not like receiving homemade gifts especially food related ones?

I got a few this year, and honestly, there's soooo much food around at xmas, the fresh stuff i can't fit in my tummy until it's stale, and preserves and stuff sit in my pantry taking up space for 5 years until i throw it out.

Homemade cards or whatever, fine. But food stuff is just a waste IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally agree!

Especially from kids, I mean, I know what kids are like, sticking fingers in noses and bottoms and god knows where else... I don't want to be eating a Christmas cookie wondering if I'm about to get ebola!

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i don't like food gifts period. i'm usually allergic to them. otherwise i'm flattered that someone's gone out of their way to actually make something for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not really a fan of homemade things, unless it is by my children, nieces/nephews or close friends children.

Lol, I would be suss as if it was food made by kids though! Yep, agree it could have secret ingredients like a-la boogas!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i don't like food gifts period. i'm usually allergic to them. otherwise i'm flattered that someone's gone out of their way to actually make something for me.
    Yeah, but the thing is, they usually haven't gone out of their way to make *you* something. in most cases they've made a huge batch and giving it to lots of people, so it's not a personal gift at all. My friend makes awesome homemade cards and they're always really thoughtful and cool (the one she made me for my 30th was a fold out Kylie Minogue cassette cover thingy, as we were hugely into Kylie when we were 8). Cake just means "I like to bake, here have some. And look at how thoughtful and giving i am"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree home made food gifts are usually pretty generic... It's like the old box of chocolates, but who knows if the person you're giving it to is lactose intolerant or something, the only reason you're buying them chocolate is because you don't know them well enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every year DFs nan makes homemade food gifts, and tbh I love them! For us its always melting moments, and boy they are good. Sadly its now getting to the point where DF wonders every year if its our last batch.
    Usually, though, its not my thing.

This year I made MIL and FIL gingerbread men. The idea was to get DD1 to decorate them, but she didn't want to and FIL is allergic to chocolate, so I ended up decorating them alone. They were stoked, but they often say not to buy them gifts.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to dread some of the gifts I got at the end of the year when I was teaching. Yes, I know that sounds selfish. I love that I was appreciated enough to receive a gift. However a gingerbread man decorated by the kid who regularly picks his nose and eats it? No thanks. Same applies for kids who chronically have their hands down their pants. You just don't know how stringent their hand washing is while cooking.

There are a few key parents who make things without child help. The Mum who made me creamy homemade fudge in a variety of flavours after talking about my favourite fudge shop made my day. Hubby likes a particular family for their peanut brittle.

From family etc I don't mind hand made as an accompaniment but I'm selfish and want a proper present.

Baa humbug!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am glad nobody gave me food for Christmas. I just cannot manage much food as it is (I managed 2 bites of cheesecake in a sitting - that's how little I can eat) - and homemade stuff goes off quickly and I would just not be able to do it. DP is fussy at best, so it's not like he'd eat it either. It'd be wasted.

I'd be thankful... but also a little disappointed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Home made crap would have been welcome, Ferrero Rocher chocolates not so much. Does anyone actually like them?