+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Kyahli, is it the cervical stitch you need? A cerclage, in other words? Sometimes they fall out, but often they help. Do you know what the procedure involves? Perhaps ask your Ob how much extra help the stitch would be; what the outcome is with and without. Good luck, M.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah thats it...
    i will be talking to my ob tomorrow( first appointment)... and seeing if it is worth while or not... will do what i need to do to have a longer pregnancy...
    what are other options though?? would love to hear any of them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kyahli, have been meaning to post a reply for days, but other things keep getting in the way! How did your first Ob appt go the other day? The only other treatments I've heard of for Cerv Incom are REST REST REST ~ keeping off your feet to stop gravity assisting the cervix in prem dilation, and there is a new Op where they go in through your abdo wall with a C-sec like incision, and place a permanent band around cervix, then bub comes out through same incision. I'll look up the name of it for you and post it here later. Not sure if it has to be done between pgs or whether they'll do it when you're already pg. Whether it's available without a long history of Cerv Incom or not. It has a 96pc success rate, is all I remember!

Try to stay off your feet and keep us posted. Cheers, BaronessM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey BaronessM, thanks heaps for thinking of me!! well well well... didnt see the ob, just the midwife, that turned to me and said "sorry hun, though you will NOT be having the baby here in this hospital"..... so i made her book me an appointment with the ob so that i can talk to them about options or what we can do to try and get as long as we possibly can out of this pregnancy... i am really starting to freak out now, as i thought everything would be planned already... and yeah i have been resting as much as possible( man i feel very LAZY, seeings i am such an active person usually, horses are missing my attention!!) There is only limited amounts that i can stop myself from doing with the other 3 boys here too... i dont think that they will do either the emergency cervix suture or the other more permenant suture this late into the pregnancy though... so i am stressing!!i dont know what else that i can do apart from NOTHING!! feel very out of control... ok will let you know what happens, gp appointment on wed and ultrasound next monday(23rd)... love n hugs, N

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kyahli, you're right, they won't do anything this late in this pg. The procedure i was talking of is called a TAC, trans-abdominal-cerclage, as opposed to the usual TVC- trans-vaginal cerclage. Both of them are done earlier on, arounmid-late second trimester, i think. So something to think abt if there's a next time for you. The TAC can be done between pg's, too.
    How far along are you now? Are they measuring cervical length each US? That's the only other on thing that may reassure, keeping an eye on Cerv length. Will write more later as my mobile is nearly outta battery!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey B,
    well i am 19 weeks on tuesday, and ultrasound tomorrow at 9 am( will come and let you know how all went)...
    i havent had an u/s since 8 weeks, so will be interesting to see if anything has changed at all... thought that they would be monitoring me more, but doesnt look like it!! hence why i am feeling like this...
    just dont know what to do or where to go really... i am thinking that i have to come to the realisation that this bub WILL be a prem, and i will have to deal with it when the time comes...
    just gotta take each day as it comes hey...
    thanks again for your support xxx
    love n hugs,
    N

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kyahli, glad to hear things still ticking along ok for you. Hopefully they'll monitor you and bub more once you pass the 24w mark, the unfortunately-titled 'viable-foetus' mark. I found I really had to push for more monitoring and felt like no-one really cared until the 26w mark, when I went into pre-term labour (which was mercifully arrested with meds), after which I was transferred to a tertiary hosp with NICU and met up with an old school classmate who became my new Ob. She ordered lots of monitoring which helped set my mind at ease. Even when we had a plan to deliver bub early to save him I felt like they weren't getting on with it as per the plan (went ten days over the planned 33wks) and it was like sitting around with a ticking time bomb in my womb, waiting for something awful to happen... So I was fully prepared for my prem bub ~ better than no or stillbub!

I'm just off to do a search on your posts to get more info on your situ before I write more. Definitely though you need to puish for more monitoring to set your mind at ease. The docs tend to have a wait-and-see approach to these things, which is fine for them and understandable with these conditions as they don't follow a set path, but it helps us Mums to have a plan in place for the different eventualities, a 'what-if this happens' plan, and a 'what-if that happens' plan.

I really REALLY hope you are worrying needlessly and bub stays put and cervix holds up beyond the 37w mark, but you know your body better than anyone else, and need to prepare yourself as you are for possible eventualities. Try to stay positive, Kyahli, I remember when I was in hosp for Preterm Lab, and I felt like I kept my cervix shut through sheer willpower and cooperation from my bod. I did lots of affirmations along the lines of "my placenta is getting healthier everyday," actually visualising the placental abruption getting smaller and bub getting bigger and healthier. This made me feel more in control, and I think it's what got me through to the end, as really my bub shouldn't have survived as the placenta fell apart in their hands when they delivered it. More later ~ and my fingers are crossed for you today at your U/s. Are you going to find out the bub's gender? Try not to let these worries dampen your excitement... ...so much will have changed in there (in a good way!) since 8wks and at least you'll get a status-update on your cervix. Good luck for your appointment, xBaronessM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I thought you were further along than you are... they may still do a TVC at this stage in this pg. See how you go today and try see your midwife/Ob after the U/s some time soon to make a plan if you can (ie. recurr. You're prob right that bubs will be early, and must be so hard staying off your feet with 3 others to run around after. Do you know where you will deliver and can you get support there? One of your recent posts said you could not deliver at the hosp where you are currently getting care... that sounds stressful... hope they've given you an option and referred you on. You can PM me if you want to chat more privately.

Happy to support you ~ I have a real 'thing' about this issue as I felt medically supported at some times (and ignored at other times) but emotionally unsupported during my pg, and as it was quite a rare form of the condition, none of my fam/friends realised how dire it was. Only my partner 'got it' as he was there along with me, but even he could not understand why the NICU stay had had such a big impact and made such a huge impression on me. I was so, so lucky that in the end it was a positive one, that I felt well treated and educated and well supported in the SCN, and thet my bub was truly healthy, just really small for his gestational age. It could have been very different had I not been able to visit the NICU and SCN's ahead of time and prepare myself for this inevitable event. It does seem rather inevitable for you, too, that your bub will be early, but this does not mean he/she cannot thrive and be a healthy, beaut bub, and you need to take your support where you can find it! Looking out for your news later of how you went today. xBaronessM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    you are a gem baroness... thanks so much for just being there...
    ok, ultrasound went well today all is fine, and bub is growing all normally... though the thing that is really strange is my cervix is longer than the last scan( go figure!!)... just weird... its actually doubled in length???
    and yes, i will be transfered to a different hospital than my local on, though it depends how early it is to where i end up, so i cant really plan anything at this stage...
    and agree with you you dont feel supported, just alone and confused... i dont know where to turn to for help and support as its hard when it doesnt feel like they have been through it, so how can they know what you are going through?? and each prem i have had is different situation too, each child is different i suppose...
    i have an ob appointment next week( 2nd) so will see how that goes and what he thinks... just wish i knew why i do have prems and what has happened in the past to be able to prevent it this time... suppose all i get to do is rest more... lol... ( going crazy already!! ) ah well, good character building hey!! ???
    hope all is well and happy with you and again, thank you!!
    xxx N

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyahli For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (24-04-2012),mlks  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Kyahli, wow! Cervix has doubled in length! Well, every pg is diff, maybe this will be the one that makes it all the way to the end! That's great news. I had same prob with the 'wait and see how far you get' as to where you'll deliver. So I treated it as worst case scenario, booked into hosp with NICU that handled curly cases and had a plan for situations like mine. That did help as they weren't so stumped by it as at smaller local hosp. I started typing a sentence in last post that I didn't finish ~ about making a plan ie. recurring fortnightly scans of cervix and steroid injections to mature bub's lungs at the 26-28wk mark, just in case the pattern holds and this little one is 2wks earlier than your last.

You may never find a reason for this ~ gravity just gets the better of some of us! I just hope your prem bubs have been healthy in the past and this one is healthy, too. I've only had the one bub and felt a bit ripped off that I didn't get really 'big and pregnant', and didn't experience the end of a pregnancy. If it was anything like the rest of my pg, though, it prob would have sucked ~ had rabid morn sickness right till the day I delivered, even hurled through the whole induced birth! My bub started out shaping up to be a ten-pounder, and I'm pretty little, so I feel like it happened for a reason that he was only 3pounds13oz. I consoled myself buying smaller and smaller clothes, and have lots of 9 zero through to 5 zero stuff, so I can send you some stuff if this bub does come early, but my fingers are crossed for you that this is the one that sticks in there.

It is hard to find support when you're mired in something like this ~ I didn't want to sound like a downer and a worry-wart so tended to keep it in, and didn't want to scare my other pg friends with all this full-on stuff. The girls in my natal education class were a fantastic support, though ~ one of them bought me all these gorgeous teddy-bear clothes for my bub, (they were the only thing that fitted him that she could find (when he lost his ten pc off birthweight he was 1.4kg) and even then he took 2wks to grow into them! My natal class girls recently voted mine the sh#$$est pg, but the best baby! He was well trained in the SCN, as were we, and has been a breeze to look after. He is a gem, but he's teething at mo, and just tonight didn't seem terribly well at all. Is hot to touch and his breath smells strange...maybe a doc's visit is in order for him tomorrow.

All that doc-sanctioned rest does drive you nuts, it's nice to begin with, but I'm a circus performer and super-active, so it drove me batty by the end. It's really important though, especially as bub gets bigger and gravity takes hold. I remember having my cervical lenght checked a lot, and when the pre-term lab started, that was the one thing that stopped me panicking and set me at ease, that my cervix was hanging in there. When the contractions first started, that was the first thing I did ~ a self cervical exam...not easy getting down there and stretching your arms around that rotund belly ~ lucky I'm a contortionist by trade!

There's also a test they can do if your cervix starts to shorten dramatically called a Fibronectin test ~ a vaginal swab ~ if it's negative, there's over an 80pc chance, more like 95 I think, that you won't deliver during a week. The cervical length is the really important thing to keep an eye on in your case, though ~ any good Ob will want it measured very regularly just to be safe, and if it shortens dramatically, they outta admit you for bed rest with bed raised at the foot end (that bloody gravity again!).

I hope your new Ob will get on top of it and order a vag ultrasound to get a really good pic of what's going on with your cervix. At least you can feel at ease a little now you've had the scan. I read an article recently about CI and the lady in the article was scanned every 2wks, so hassle for more monitoring if you can. You really deserve some reassurance with your birth record as it is.

Great to hear that bub is growing so well. I hope you can get some rest and look after yourself, and find the right place to deliver.

Thinking of you, N. Cheers, xxM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Kyahli  (23-05-2012)